It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Require contractors to disclose political donations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
House democrats are pushing for Obama to issue and exec order putting this into place. Chances are that Obama can do this, and congress has very little say, and no legal recourse. This is something that needs to happen, which of course the repubs completely oppose.

www.washingtonpost.com...

More than 60 House Democrats have signed a letter asking President Obama to issue an executive order requiring federal contractors to disclose political contributions.

The proposed executive order was one of a handful of policies that have been floated in the wake of last year’s landmark Citizens United Supreme Court decision, which loosened restrictions on corporate political advocacy.

The letter indicates the strong support among rank-and-file Democrats for a measure that has been vociferously attacked by Republicans.

“We believe that with public funds come public responsibilities,” the letter reads, “and anyone benefitting from taxpayer money has the responsibility to be fully transparent.”

In April, the White House first circulated a draft of the executive order, which would have required companies submitting bids on federal contracts to disclose political donations from corporate coffers and top executives, including those to nonprofit advocacy groups that would not otherwise be a part of the public record.

So what about the tea party reps? Are they for disclosure, or is this another area where what they say, and what they do are completely different things.

If the fed gov is honestly going to crack down on spending, gov contractors would be a major area to track. this is something that needs to be done, and the people who support this action are the ones looking out for U.S. taxpayers.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is good but won't change anything. Do you think they start voting against the money because they have to disclose recieving it? Extremely doubtful.

What we need is an executive order banning political contributions of all kinds.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would much rather see a bill that requires politicians to disclose profession and industry affiliations as well as any organizations in which they share a vested interest in along with government contracts.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

It sucks. And I'll tell you why. When the GOP wins the White House next year, th democrats will be weeing themselves over this "law" saying it's unfair and could lead to favoritism.

But asking progressives to take the long view of things is like expecting Richard Simmons to beat up Chuck Norris.

Epic. . . . . wait for it. . . . . .

Fail.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Bidding is a difficult and highly regulated practice already. I'm fine with further controls on it, provided the most qualified end up with the work. Where I worry is that it seems to be only one political party pushing for disclosure of this nature. There should be more give and take between parties with added regulations. The republicans need to find a way to expose corruption on the other side - and pass both in one package.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That is some pretty backwards logic. Forcing disclosure allows the public to see favoritism, it doesn't encourage favoritism.

Oh, and considering the dogs the repubs have in the running for POTUS, Obama is pretty much a shoo in. The tea baggers have not improved public opinion. Most likely the democrats will take the house back, with fresh blood.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Transparency of all govt. contracts, bids, between dembs and Republicans needs to be law of the land.
If my tax dollars pay for it; don't I as a citizen have the right to see how MY money was spent.

No politician regardless of party has the right to profit from my tax money in the form of presents, kickbacks, prostitutes, golf outings, superbowl tickets, or promises of a job for a wife, daughter etc, etc.

edit on 28-7-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by beezzer

That is some pretty backwards logic. Forcing disclosure allows the public to see favoritism, it doesn't encourage favoritism.

Oh, and considering the dogs the repubs have in the running for POTUS, Obama is pretty much a shoo in. The tea baggers have not improved public opinion. Most likely the democrats will take the house back, with fresh blood.

You are wrong. Forcing disclosure will ensure that people give money only to the decision makers rather than following their conscience. Thanks for being a demagogue and spouting talking points though.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think all political donations over 50$ should be disclosed by public or private entities period.
This anonymous unlimited donation by corporations to superpac's is off the wall insane, I am glad Stephen Colbert is shining a light on just how insane it is, but its far more disasterous than even that is showing

Wait for 2012..it is going to be a seriously crazy year for endless commercials of the most obscene and dishonest political games ever recorded...hopefully the fallout will get the government to shut down that crap and demand full disclosure across the board.

I do however want to see the colbert commercials...expect some seriously damaging "rumors" to come out about people that will have the exact opposite (and expected) response...

bah, politics is now a corporate entity, no longer a representation of the people (oops, I am wrong, corporations are now people...forgot about that)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Thanks for all the sweet replies to my post. (big hugs)

If you think that democrats are going to allow the same rules to apply, you're kidding yourselves. For every contract that a democrat spending company doesn't get, imagine the protests.

As for a republican in the White House?

I hav dryer lint with more gravitas, more honesty, more integrity than our current potus.

new topics

top topics

join