It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Board Of Education Unanimously Rejects Creationist Textbooks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Whew, I wondered how this would pan out. Even giving some credence to creationism being a part of the picture, to replace evolution in schools outright seemed impractical and incorrect. Keep religion and state separate, and that includes public schools. I think having religious classes would be alright, on a volunteer level and not required.

The Texas Board of Education has unanimously come down on the side of evolution. In 14-0 vote, the board today approved scientifically accurate high school biology textbook supplements from established mainstream publishers–and did not approve the creationist-backed supplements from International Databases, LLC.

Dr. Eugenie Scott, NCSE’s Executive Director is celebrating the decision. “These supplements reflect the overwhelming scientific consensus that evolution is the core of modern biology, and is a central and vital concept in any biology class. That these supplements were adopted unanimously reflects a long overdue change in the board. I commend the board for its refusal to politicize science education.”

ncse.com...
I can appreciate "a" creator, but to claim his/her/it's identity as absolute is where the trouble begins. I personally feel that there may be a creator, but it could be a force, an alien, or even a Q like entity, but when people start saying 'he' has a white robe, white hair and white skin, well the trouble begins.
How bout that picture?
It would make a good avatar me thinks....

Peace,
spec
edit on 25-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Personally, I am sorry to see it went this way. Creationism can be taught as a widely held belief and possible basis for how life originally came to be. it's not an answer for absolutes, anymore than evolution is. However, over 80% of the nation Texas sits in believes this to be a factual theory, so it deserves mention and explanation. It seems odd to excise the topic entirely as if it somehow doesn't exist when, again, 80% of the households these kids come from take it as absolute truth.

I'd just suggest a balance between the two could have been found where school children are made aware of and educated to the basics of both sides of this issue that is so relevant to the course being taught. It's just a shame that everything these days must happen in absolutes. Absolutely evolution or absolutely creationism but absolutely 0 chance of them being covered in the same class. Yikes.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Absolutely evolution or absolutely creationism but absolutely 0 chance of them being covered in the same class. Yikes.

I agree Wrrabit, but one is science oriented and the other faith. I think religion does have a place in education(put's on flame suit
), but then one must consider all religions and not just the Christian one, imo.
My middle of the road analogy is that if there is a creator, why can't evolution be the mechanism by which things come to be, and an extension of a creator instead of an 'either or' choice? But that's the problem with absolutes, as you mentioned. Although I feel evolution is closer to an absolute by comparison. Not so much in that we came from monkeys, but more along the lines of how life unfolds.

spec

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just reading about this the other day. Its down right scary.

Religious belief does not belong in public schools. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

i agree "Religious belief does not belong in public schools. Ever". and THAT INCLUDES the religion of DARWINISM.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by generik

i agree "Religious belief does not belong in public schools. Ever". and THAT INCLUDES the religion of DARWINISM.

Not worth my time.

Please see ATS thread on Darwinism:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here is where part of the problem lies too. When one speaks of evolution, it is not necessary to include/argue that we came from apes. I think we can acknowledge evolution as a mechanism without arguing it is where we humans came from. I think we can discuss creationism without saying the Christian god is the one and only god. These get us locked into absolutes. Middle path is best for all and leaving the doors open help facilitate communion amongst people instead of opposition. But this way of thinking seems foreign to a lot of westerners.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

"Creationism can be taught as a widely held belief and possible basis for how life originally came to be."

If they want to live in Fantasyland they can, but as far away from CIVILIZED society as possible.
I refuse to live in a world where the majority believe in something so dumb. Why spread the dumb around??
We know for a fact we don't live in a Christian world. None of that stuff exists.

"80% of the nation Texas sits in believes this to be a factual theory, so it deserves mention and explanation."

80% of Texas is wrong.

"80% of the households these kids come from take it as absolute truth."

Brainwashing kids with false notions. Excellent work Christianity.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Please see ATS thread on Darwinism:

which one there seems to be a heck of a lot of them?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Wish I could remember who said it, I think it was Professor Dawkins but I will stand corrected.
We did not evolve from apes we are still a primate.
Under the basis of teaching creationism there are many, many creation myths out there so why not teach those as well? Culture and politics is why.
One thing about evolution is that it crosses all cultural boundaries to become a universal system through universal methodoligies and scientific principals. When anything can cross what are sometimes insurmountable cultural differences then you have a basis for forming very strong applicable facts, opinions and theorem about human biology and we are talking science classes here. The entering of myth into science classes would damage any country's educational system.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

Well said and I agree, the two should not be mixed under science.
Thanks for the reply!

spec

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
They should have two different classes, one follows the science course, and the other religion. It should be the childs choice as to which of the classes he/she chooses to follow. I know that this intrudes on the seperation between church and state, but we shouldn't force kids to abandon their beliefs just because we disagree.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Creationism has as much to do with science as pixy dust has to the science of bridge building. If you want to teach your children bronze age myths you can do it in your weekly church meeting fine; but it has been demonstrated that we are losing our way in the real world regarding science and scientific method.

Teaching fairy tales because it makes you feel better is wrong. If you believe teaching creationism in school is proper please feel free to sit at the children's table until you get it right.

This is one thing I am rigid on because silliness like this is affecting the way my country teaches its kids negatively. I am completely shocked that Texas BOE was strong enough to do this

WAY TO GO TEXAS

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by insanedr4gon

The idea that children have beliefs is the wrong mindset when talking about their education. They do not have the spatiality, learning nor life experiences to create any sort of belief system. The only reason they belief in Santa, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy is because they are myths we peddle at them. In fact if they came downstairs Christmas morning and found a pile of presents their intellect would, rightly, presume that the parents had provided them. We however cloud that clear thinking with our recieved belief systems and it is all downhill from there.
Applying this methodology to their science lessons at school helps create a retrospective mind where things can only or will only happen because they happened in the past. What I mean in the Evolutionary sense is we are only here because we were put here in the past rather than us being an active part of an evolutionary process.
This has obvious implications for cognitive growth. I feel it also stunts our emotional growth, our curiosity and our creativity.
The belief way is always seeking to apportion blame or causation with the retrospective mindset, the past is where the solution lies when in reality that is where the fault or problem lies and teaching them that we were put here as a fully ready formed species does not allow them understand themselves as a growing organism individually and as social groups and restricts their ability to look for solutions in the future.
Keep the myths out of science!
edit on 25/7/11 by goldentorch because: oops

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm glad that they did this but...

Death and loss are painful. I can't in all honesty confront a religious person and tell them that their god is not real. I'm not self-righteous about this. If they're afraid of death and turn to faith to find some comfort, I do not want to take it away from them. When someone religious starts threatening someone else as a result of their faith or when they start causing problems for the rest of the world then I have to do something, but if I can avoid that I do.

I know that this world is painful and I know that there's a lot of suffering. I wish there was a god to take it all away and to give us an after-life and to bring completion to all of the loose ends. In fact, sometimes I wish so bad that I'd go to hell so that some of us can actually have an after-life rather than to *poof* and condemn all of humanity to finiteness. Through science we may one day create an after-life. But knowing what I know about conservation of energy and the tendency of the quantum universe to produce unpredictable randomness, it's unlikely in my mind that there will ever be a lasting after-life. Death is natural and inevitable for all things.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. That's how I think about it. Unless all life in all of the universe has an after-life then I don't think it's fair for us to selfishly claim it our own. But it breaks my heart to think about forcing my belief on someone who finds relief in their faith.
edit on 25-7-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

Myths should be out as those you have stated. Jesus was real and very well documented.
I would rather have my child learn about him than most anything that the television offers or what her classmates state. I will take love and understanding over most anything.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Jesus is not documented by any contemparary historical sources.
I agree absolutely with the mind numbing rubbish on tv for adults as well as children. I do not own one.
I am not sure what you mean by understanding. Can I presume you mean understanding of God's love or something along those lines. That's a little like A Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy, the answer to everything is 42.
It really does put children's education at risk to preclude empiricism and science is empirical. It especially helps young children with things like risk compensation factors and helps them gain a mind of their own.
Because if you deny science as it pertains to Evolution does it not cast doubts on all other scientific empirical methods?
Does it not deny science altogether?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Jesus was real and very well documented.

What?

There is not one shred of historical evidence that the Myth Jesus ever existed.

There is - however - factual evidence of several men names Jesus - - - and how the myth of bible Jesus probably came about.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Schools have to teach the opinion of scientists, biologists in this case. This whole thing seems as absurd as a bunch of politicians voting on whether 1+1 equals 2 or not. Science is not a democracy.

Anyway, I am glad to hear of this decision.
edit on 26/7/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

"Brainwashing kids with false notions. Excellent work Christianity."

Don't forget that this view has been brainwashed into you.....

God created all life, yes, even yours. We are all accountable for what we say, choices we make, how we lead our lifes and how we treat others,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join