It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RFID...I have found a nice one.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

RFIDs

The next wave of tracking.

Upon washing a newly bought pair of jeans...who's brand I will reveal at a later time, I stumbled upon this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e8b27fd3052.jpg[/atsimg]
A close-up shot of a RFID.
Now bear with me.
These pictures are from an iPhone.
I realize that there are RFID's implanted in everything, but this was a huge shock.
This little device has a chip in it the size of a grain of sand. (pointed out with yellow arrow)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49e175cd077c.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ee1acf68081.jpg[/atsimg]
As the pictures show, its about the size of your finger.
The silver outlining panels seem to be the antenna.

What really bothers me is why these companies must track sales?
Or can the RFID be activated from outside the home?
Is this the security device?

My guess is the latter but it begs the question...

Where else are these devices found?

Next time you wash a pair of jeans or new t-shirt...
Let one of the tags wash with your clothing.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4901aadab87a.jpg[/atsimg]
You might be surprised what you find.

edit on 25-7-2011 by havok because: changed title and added picture.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I have found them inside single packages of drill bits and other small tools. Thry atr what makes the alarm go off if you leave a store before they deactivate it

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Pair or jeans or an iphone

Do make you're mind up but don't exspect people here to take much notice because they are not even aware how google is being used to track them.

if thats the type of belt you wear then you need more help than i am able to offer

edit on 25-7-2011 by Master_007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
actually i thought they were used for inventory control. they are sued to see what is in the store and what is not. however they also have the ability to be used for evil since a short power burst can power them and give all kinda nice info!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Yep they are in everything now. Years ago, while I was researching ways to streamline our inventory and replenishment process, I came across an article about RFID technology which allows the manufacturer to track the entire life cycle of the product.

It was used in the warehouse to tell computer exactly where the product was located, how much was left, where it was to be shipped, and to place restock orders for replenishment. The article went even further to tell about a process which was being developed that would allow the company to track how often the item was picked up and looked at, purchased, and how often it was picked up and used once the consumer brought it home. Even right down to location and time stamp data. Combined with other forms of consumer market identification information, and you would have a pretty solid idea of exactly who was using your product and how often.

That was quite a few years ago, so I have no idea where that article is now. But I did a quick search and found one that briefly touches upon similar information.

RFID couples radio frequency (RF) identification technology with highly miniaturized computers that enable products to be identified and tracked at any point along the supply chain. 2
Source

As a side note....I hate those dumb chips that are in jeans. Just like the one you found. They set off the alarms when you walk through the doors at retail stores. And even once they are deactivated, they can get reactivated by accident. I bought my husband a pair of jeans at Target and he wore them on vacation. The stupid things started setting off the alarms at other stores. We finally realized what was doing it and pulled the chip out.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master_007
Pair or jeans or an iphone

Do make you're mind up

LOL, I think he was saying that he found the chip in a pair of jeans, but that he took the photo with an iphone.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hi there,
I have worked for years in the radio and transmission telecommunication industry. These little beauties can even be found in the handles of brand razors. Typically an rf id chip has a range. Anywhere outside of the range there is to much noise.

RF Id chips are hit with an emf which powers the chip and returns the unique signal to the scanner.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Conspiracy theories aside, and im sure some are accurate, the RFID chips are also used for inventory control. Instead of having humans go through and keep track of whats in stock and whats been sold, the RFID chips do that.

Once the system says we have sold 25 pair of pants, and only have 5 left, it can automatically order more.

Thats 1 use for the RFIDs in retail....

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I have a new British biometric passport with a huge RFID in the back page in plain view. I have also heard they are in £20 notes.

I never really think about RFID as being a huge issue after having experience with them. We used to put them in the products we make at work and program them on site. It was literally just a serial number to keep track of how many were going out of the door. The readers literally had to be within an inch for it to be of any use.

Is there any evidence that useful information has been pulled from these chips? When we still had the equipment (which was top shelf stuff), I tried scanning every RFID I found outside the company. The reader just wouldn't even acknowledge anything was there. I'm assuming they have to be matched, or they use some kind of encryption.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This lady knows her stuff when it comes to these chjps.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hi,
really informative picture i appreciate your post
thanks for sharing ...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by isitjustme

Here you go:

reply to post by Master_007

A tag off a pair of jeans.
The photos are from an iPhone.

It's not that I think that RFID's are going to take over the world or anything...
I actually have seen them more and more as time goes on.
But to find on embedded into the paper, no sticker or anything, was fascinating.

I know that a lot are used for security, but this one was quite new to me.

I also found it surprising to see the newer technology of chips today.
To see how small the processor is, or the embedding technique is quite amazing.
It's slightly frightening how small they are getting for just commercial product use.
Imagine for military, or governmental use.

Makes you wonder the marvels/abuses of the RFID.
Companies use them to track sales and stop theft.
Marketing ploys, and snapshot photos of consumers occasionally.

Wonder when RFID implants will be a luxury/necessity?

edit on 25-7-2011 by havok because: added code

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
When an RFID chip is placed in every piece of money then you will no longer be able to buy a single item without it being traced directly to you. The entire history of who had the money before and after you will be available to the government. Frying the chip on purpose will make the money unusable because it cannot be validated so no one will accept it. The IRS will love it. The days of buying things anonymously with cash or working under the table are near an end. The government will happily profile you based on your purchasing patterns. Drink too much? Don't expect a job here. Buy too many condoms? Mandatory counciling and a sexual deviant flag. Making occasional purchases in a part of town where anti establishment meetings are held? Expect extra random security screening.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Why have RFID on paper currency? Might as well have information stored on a personal card. Now that's NWO!

As for the size of these chips, I thought this type "nanotechnology" is already being used. I wonder if there is a way to remove these tracking devices.
edit on 2011-7-26 by pikypiky because: To add more "food for thought".

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Below is the front cover of my passport. Notice the biometric symbol at the bottom of the cover.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c889dc0c4b1.jpg[/atsimg]

This RFID is laminated onto the back of my information page.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e9006ee06c72.jpg[/atsimg]

What I find strange is that these were introduced with very little information given as to why they were introduced other than to improve security and authenticity of information. Many people have voiced concerns about hackers passing by and gaining access to personal details, fingerprints and DNA records.
As far as I am aware, no record exists of my fingerprints or DNA, and my current address is not on record at the passport office. I would imagine that on mine, there would be no more information than what is shown on the physical passport.

One thing I do find very unusual, is that when new £20 notes were introduced from the Bank of England, there seemed to be a plethora of videos on YouTube showing evidence of RFID chips implanted within the paper. This was proved by microwaving multiple £20 notes and observing a small flash and a scorch mark on the eye of the portrait of the Queen. I have just searched using various terms and didn't find a single one. Maybe these were removed to avoid a public reaction, or simply because it is a criminal offense to deface the Queens portrait on any currency?

I am mostly unconcerned about RFID's, but I have to admit, the theory of tracking us through cash does make me feel uneasy.
edit on 26-7-2011 by luckythirteen because: Image Resize

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by luckythirteen

I design circuits with RFID chips on board for wildlife research. The entire RFID device I use including the antenna and hardened enclosure is only 1mm by 8mm and weighs .03 grams. I can read these from a few inches away. The antenna in your passport is unecessarily huge suggesting that it is designed for long range tracking. My experience with designing electronics gives me no doubt that your passport could be located from outside your home with ease. I highly recomend keeping it stored inside a solid foil package except for when it needs to be read.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Why have RFID on paper currency? Might as well have information stored on a personal card. Now that's NWO!

Already happening:
counterfeitdetector.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thanks, I'll certainly look into that. Am I right in thinking then that it's just a case of bigger antenna = longer range reading? I must have been pretty naive, as I assumed that RFID's couldn't be read through buildings like that. I think the only thing ever they ever told me was that it would be read as I walk through security, I'm assuming by similar looking devices as the ones in stores at the door.

I wonder if it's an offense to destroy the chip (subtly of course), since they never had my permission to store any data on there? To me, it seems like one step closer to mandatory ID cards and having to supply fingerprints and DNA. I already have issues with the Police taking DNA from what seems like anyone involved in anything!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yes, in regards to RFID tags that are passive (do not contain a battery or other power source) such as the one in your passport, antenna size is the primary contributing factor to it's range. This is because the antenna is also used to receive the power that the RFID chip requires to operate. Power is transferred to the tag's antenna via pulsed magnetic fields produced by the reader. Magnet fields are a very local phenomena and the tags antenna has to be immersed in the readers field thus making it a relatively short range device. Reads have been made from tens of meters though.

Though I have not looked into the type of RFID chip used in your passport almost all RFID chips only contain a unique serial number and no other information. This means that when the tag transmits it's serial number to the reader, that serial number tells the custom officer's computer to retrieve your information from a central database and display it. This means that there is little risk of someone outside of access to the database acquiring your personal information. However, there are some risks.

Alphabet agencies with access to the customs database can locate and track you from short distances or from tracking systems positioned at strategic locations.

Someone else can scan your RFID tag to acquire it's serial number and impersonate you or track your activities.

One of the biggest concerns is that kidnapers abroad can carry RFID readers in a backpack and identify your nationality based on the type of RFID chip in your passport. Someone has even come up with the idea of parking a van packed with explosives and an RFID reader installed in a busy location so that when a person or group of people carrying passports of a specific country passes within range it automatically detonates.

Just FYI.

edit on 26-7-2011 by dainoyfb because: I added a bit more info

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

That's very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing! I normally keep my passport at home in the same place, but going to and from the airport is obviously what these deviants look for when they know I have it.

I think before I go on my next holiday I will be putting my passport and all my cash into steel mesh wallet! I wonder if anyone does have their details stolen and used for a crime, or much worse as you suggest with the explosive device, that we would ever hear about it?

I still find it strange that the public have been given next to no information about why these chips are there. Obviously something is amiss.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join