It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thought For Those Who Want To "Prove" Their Religion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
"Using the Bible to prove that Jesus was really the living embodiment of God on Earth is like using a comic book to prove that Superman is the incredibly powerful last son of the planet Krypton."

It seems that not a day goes by when someone doesn't decide to "Prove" some point about religion, ethics, morality and sin by quoting the Bible at us. Some even try to validate the bible by using the bible. It's silly.

If there is some new research that somehow proves that the Bible is not a remarkably corrupted text that has been edited, altered, censored and rewritten to serve the entrenched and powerful interests of the Religious hierarchy, then by all means, let us know.

Until then, take a moment to look at your bible-quoting posts and ask yourself "Will this sway someone who already puts no stock in the bible?"

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

Agreed. I think if someone wants to be religious then be religious. Don't throw your beliefs at me and expect me to go along with it. Practice your religion and leave everybody else alone.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I can understand religious belief, and if I stretch and squint and tilt my head a little I can understand biblical inerrancy. My girlfriend's mom is King-James-only, though, and THAT I think is ridiculous. Proving the bible using the bible is one thing, but claiming that a translation of the bible by people who had less knowledge about Hebrew/Greek than modern theologians is the most superior is just funny.

Her defense?

Her: "Things are different in the newer translations."
Me: "Right, but how are you sure THAT'S the correct interpretation?"
Her: "Well, because the newer ones are different."
Me: "Right, but... we know more about ancient languages now than then. Wouldn't you think a newer translation is better?"
Her: "No, it's different. They changed things."
Me: " !#?%^"

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I usually find it's the complete opposite.

I'm very happy to keep my religion personal and just leave it, yet all over this forum I see people obsessed with trying to make me see life the way you do.

how about you just worry about your own (lack of) faith?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Beavers

This is basically what I wanted to say. I am a believer of God yet more people than not assume I am a Christian because of that fact. ALL believers of God are not Christians....some of us are just seekers of Truth who happen to have sought out the Truth and found it in God or another....even Jesus. Leave the negative be and focus energy on the good...the positive. Rants are just not pretty.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Kids wonder who am I....where did I come from. As they get older they search and in searching do it on their own or lead by someone or something. Sometimes one may say they are lead by spirit...or just not lead at all to believe in anything. Either way ..we can all agree to disagree and say I do not know how I became a soul/spirit....I (just) Am!

In each PERSONAL journey one finds subjects that sings to them more than others. When I read the Bible I learn something I didn't know even as I thought I knew beforehand.

God or no God....whatever you believe is your choice and has been your choice.

Whether it be Religion or not....someone is always trying to push their knowledge on another....always will be this way..no matter how much you dislike it...it just is. How you react to them/it is what you do have control over though.

The comic book analogy is not a good one....in my opinion. Name other texts (books) where some man claimed to be the Son of God and did miraculous works and said he came to save us (died on a cross) and will come again? Name other books where Jesus is talked about with great respect and honor. You will find more than just one book.

For the ones who bash without the knoweldge of the Bible in its entirety is simply bashing because either they like doing so..like to hear themselves being negative...or something.
Its not because they have understood it, thats for sure.

We fear what we do not understand....

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I got no disagreement with this. It's just funny as hell the things people on ATS will do and say against Christianity, and yet if you say anything against Muslims, or Palestinians or George Soros, hell hath no fury. Anyway, whatever, I do agree with this, everybody leave everybody else alone.

Don't know why I waste my time on here anymore.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt
"Using the Bible to prove that Jesus was really the living embodiment of God on Earth is like using a comic book to prove that Superman is the incredibly powerful last son of the planet Krypton."

It seems that not a day goes by when someone doesn't decide to "Prove" some point about religion, ethics, morality and sin by quoting the Bible at us. Some even try to validate the bible by using the bible. It's silly.

If there is some new research that somehow proves that the Bible is not a remarkably corrupted text that has been edited, altered, censored and rewritten to serve the entrenched and powerful interests of the Religious hierarchy, then by all means, let us know.

Until then, take a moment to look at your bible-quoting posts and ask yourself "Will this sway someone who already puts no stock in the bible?"

Can't we all just get along? Can we just agree to disagree? Did you ever consider that maybe those posts are not intended for you? Maybe they are intended for fellow believers to edify each others faith. It may be silly in your opinion but perhaps not to someone else. The bible has something to say about this subject
1 Peter 2:15
For so is THE will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence THE ignorance of FOOLISH men:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

They disprove religion

They descended on to the thread
like a picnic attracts flies
they descended on the thread
to feast on all the lies.

The Bible is a farce
God hates shrimp and talks of stoning
they yell "the Bible is a farce!"
yet the discussion kept on growing.

Like moths attracted to the light
the Bible haters just have to let you know
moths attracted to the light
why not discuss fuzzy pictures of UFOs

They're drinking their morning coffee
Discussing God gets them going
dunking donuts in their hot coffee
they don't want their insecurities showing

O no! Another faith discussion
there is no such thing as God or sin
please stop these faith discussions
the ones they're trying to convince, it's them

edit on 25-7-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It seems that not a day goes by when someone doesn't decide to "Prove" some point about religion, ethics, morality and sin by quoting the Bible at us.

I totally appreciate what you're saying.

However, turn it on its head... ultimately, the foundation stone of any of the "standard" beliefs will be the religions source text/s (e.g. bible for Christianity). Therefore, if the contents of the bible are the basis for Christian belief, then it makes sense that a Christian will quote it when rationalising or explaining their beliefs.

But therein lies the communication anomaly between someone who believes the religion and one who does not. The basis for discussion will always go back to the foundation text - with one party placing so much worth that they base their faith upon it and the other one paying it no worth at all.

Quite an interesting dilemma IMO and one I've been tempted to start a thread on many times

Just my 2p for what it's worth

edit on 25/7/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Nobody will ever be able to prove God exists, and likewise, nobody will ever be able to prove God doesn't exist. It's a stupid debate. People are going to BELIEVE or have FAITH in whatever they want. That's the only FACT of the entire discussion.

In the end, even if science proves 100% that the big bang happened, and that we evolved from single celled organisms, it still will not disprove God. Those who believe will simply say God created the big bang, or whatever was before the big bang.

Why people have this debate is beside me. I just don't get the logic. Do you really think some believer is going to say, "Yeah, that makes sense, I'll just scrap my religion." Or, do you think an atheist is going to say, "Yeah, the (fill in holy book) says so, I guess I was wrong.". Nope, not going to happen. We believe what we believe when it comes to religion, and nobody is going to change our minds, regardless of where we stand on the debate.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Agreed also. I see this most every day. It is pretty common knowledge, in here, anyway, that the Bible came from earlier writings, such as the Enuma Elish and the Epic of Gilgamesh, and other Mesopotamian stories, commonly called "myths" by Christians. But then to them, it seems to be a sin to "question the word of God." Nice little scam if you ask me, plagiarize a set of stories, set int into a canon, they tell people that if they ask questions they are committing a sin. Two things I wish for in here:
1. Stop posting bible quotes. We all have one at home.
2. Stop attempting to convert us all, we know better, and do not wish to join your Cult.
3. Question EVERYTHING. Or motto here is, "Deny Ignorance."

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Nice pro-God and anti-free speech Poem.

What idiots, ay? How dare they discuss God and highlight the atrocities of the bible, what stupid people, what stupid people for taking refuge in great thinkers and philosophers.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I don’t know if anybody’s pointed this out to you yet but this website is based around a “forum”
en.wikipedia.org...
An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages

So I think it’s safe to assume that if someone posts something on here then it will become and was intended to be a topic of discussion

en.wikipedia.org...
Conversation is interactive, more-or-less spontaneous, communication between two or more conversants. Interactivity occurs because contributions to a conversation are response reactions to what has previously been said

This is the mission statement regarding above top secret:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please note the “Deny ignorance” part and the fact that the creators of the site rely on “user-generated content” to make the site work

Hope this helps

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Who cares? We're not called to "change minds", just to proclaim the truth.

Mission Accomplished.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I have only read the first two lines of your opening post.
I walk by faith,not by sight,you walk by sight,not by faith.
Nothing more to be said on the topic so I'm moving on.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Amen and Amen!!!

Some of us have researched Truth and in doing so have even more faith and hope that we not only have an afterlife but a paradise that awaits us when we leave this Hell on Earth. After all......this place is where the fallen reside and it is no wonder the faithful are constantly challenged and ridiculed for believing in God.

What are we? Energy! We were made in His image. The Energy, light (the mover of time), the ALL!

There is Truth that we can all see but some are willing to keep their eyes closed because they do want to see what is right in front of them. Why? Because they are awaiting Science to tell them a theory of God.??

Proving there is or is not a God is up to the individual personally. When you find exciting truth...you want to share it with others. It is the way we are. BUT...... It has always been a personal "choice". Believe or not to believe.

Choose your destiny/eternity WISELY! Energy does not die.....it merely transforms. Where you end up is the question as you have no control over the matter. Sure you have chances....we give our children chances. There comes a "time" when you have to tell them though...s*&^ or get off the pot already. You are either going to be good and be a part of this family or you are going to continue on the wrong path and leave! There is no unconditional love after many lifetimes....you are dark...ok......stay in the dark (time out) until you can behave (believe).

When people say Hell is on Earth....they aint joking. Dead Sea is really dead and dark guys...why be stubborn.

All ya have to do is believe. This truth is all in the energy of the mind. Seek non-biased Truth as it will set you free and at peace (literally).

Whooooo hooooooo! Go God! Go God! Go God!!!!!!!! Love it... gotta get more coffee!

Had to "prove" his existence for myself and I can prove it to anyone else who has a mind just as mine. Your proof may be different, smell different and everything but if you believe then we are the same. Period. No Religion to speak of.....just good ole believing.

God is good ALL the time! Whooooooo hooooooooooo Go God! (Had to say it one more time)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Some of us have researched Truth and in doing so have even more faith and hope that we not only have an afterlife but a paradise that awaits us when we leave this Hell on Earth

That's not truth, paradise isn't truth. You should feel dishonest for promoting it as such.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExistentialNightmare
reply to post by MamaJ

Some of us have researched Truth and in doing so have even more faith and hope that we not only have an afterlife but a paradise that awaits us when we leave this Hell on Earth

That's not truth, paradise isn't truth. You should feel dishonest for promoting it as such.

Dishonest? Ha! I laugh at you!

Well......you may not experience the paradise my friend....that is up to you. Your truth is not mine....I guarantee you that much. It is the Truth in my reality.....and if you sought after it for as long as I did and went through all that I have been through then you could see out of my eyes. You can't.

Seek....you will find. Seek without a biased and negative attitude and you will find that paradise awaits you. Like attracts like. Remember that.....

Good luck on your journey and I sincerely mean that. Time is ticking.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Seek....you will find

Good general advice. Thanks.

Good luck on your journey and I sincerely mean that. Time is ticking.

Thanks!
Also, I'm sure (a benevolent) God will spare me for being honest with myself and treating others with kindness; I'm not going to be saved from Hell just because I make fawning professions of faith all my life.

I'm sure that's not a virtue; pretending to believe something to save my eternal soul, I hope God would see through that.

Peace MamaJ, keep up the extraordindary writing, I'm sure we'll meet again on these forums.
edit on 26-7-2011 by ExistentialNightmare because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join