It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Round mags not enough? cant make up your mind 5.56 or 7.62 ? then you need a MGI Hydra!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Yep, I second the notion of the M1a being a primary carry rifle. And second the 7.62 NATO being the round of choice.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think your missing my point, of course i can understand shooting is fun, i have a bb gun myself and have enjoyed shooting a lot of high powered air rifles with night vision scopes etc. but i got past looking at guns as 'toys' when i was about 15. Understand my point?

A BB gun comparison is apples to oranges.

Now you argue semantics.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

reply to post by Golf66

I appreciate your sentiment and fully respect what this thread is for, but not the fact you guys are talking about them as if they are fun toys to play around with

They are fun. Maybe you have never been introduced to the shooting sports.

Make your way across the pond and hit any of us. I would love to take you out shooting. You actually might enjoy yourself a bit.

ya know they got their own shooting clubs over there too.
British Clay Shooting
I got meet a few of these fellows several years back... damn could they shoot...
edit on 26-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

Well, what's a toy?

Typical adult "toys" are sports cars, motorcycles, gadgets, speedboats, jet ski's and definitely guns. All dangerous and expensive. Except maybe the gadget class.

I wouldnt call my deer rifle a toy. I'd definitely call my tacti-cool collection all toys. One gets me food the other is used for sport and competition. Maybe if I rose to some higher national level of competitive class they would cease to be "toys" but for now they are certainly "toys."

It's just stupid semantics.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yeah, I will take desert shooting any day over British Gun clubs.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

i tried to spell out my view clearly for you to understand, obviously you would rather ignore the true point of my statement or pretty much anything i said.

heres a little quote from einstein for y'all to ponder over,
"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism — how passionately I hate them!" - Albert Einstein

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
See you guys are lucky... I never got to mess mess around with the small special weapons...
but on the other hand lots of folks would kill for the chance to play with toys I did have...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b8ec7f3c859.gif[/atsimg]

LOL funny story, once when I was a lowly infantry sniper with the 3rd 75th Ranger BN we were on in an exersize with/against the marines out of Camp Lejune (sp)? I was and E4 in charge of my shooter and I.

We saw a LAV that was sitting there like totally unattended...

We watched it for several hours before we realized no one was around for security or anything. We decided to take it and drive it back to BN HQ as a trophy of sorts to teach the Marines a lesson.

Yeah, we did....

When we got there the BN XO was waiting with the BN XO from the Marine BN to collect his dead lined LAV that was supposed to not have been driven! Needless to say - I was the one taught a lesson that day. On one hand I got an atta-boy for thinking outside the box/aggressive decision making and on the other an ass chewing for not calling the BN to ask permission to bring it back.

They of course, with all their experience would have probably guessed it was a mechanical issue and called the controllers for a confirmation – but my all of 2 years in the Army and never being around a vehicle other than in the back clouded my visions of victory.

Besides I also got a lecture on the grand difference between how to deal with real enemy equipment and our own sister services in exercises. The lecture
was given by a couple of Majors to an E4 in a very loud voice BTW, not fun...

It was fun to drive though. I wondered why it wouldn't go very fast. Don't really remember what was wrong with the thing but it didn't go past like 20 MPH.

I am glad nothing happened to the vehicle as I could not have afforded the statement of charges I bet.

edit on 26/7/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

It's thinking like that that probably got your tail through SF selection however. An ass chewing is expected for such actions, but you applied that go-getter mentality that gets any man into the teams. Quite funny story actually, wish I would have had the titanium balls to do that during my early FTXs.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Nowadays their called an EFV...name was changed back in 09
but as to your question... they never were very fast on land.... land speed rated to 20 MPH but you can squeak almost 40 if you really push one hard...

but here's the thing... they are just as fast in the water as they are on land...and while out there swimming the only part of the vehicle exposed is the turret for that big 30 mike mike... they maybe ugly on land but brother in the water they are beautiful!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by macman

i tried to spell out my view clearly for you to understand, obviously you would rather ignore the true point of my statement or pretty much anything i said.

heres a little quote from einstein for y'all to ponder over,
"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism — how passionately I hate them!" - Albert Einstein

NO. I do understand. You don't like guns. You poetically tie childishness to MEN liking them.

Ok. Go fly a kite then. Or post an Anti gun thread somewhere. This is the Weapons forum, to discuss weapons.
Good bye..

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Yes, but the joke was on them, as they realized just how wrong they were, and had to justify it with an ass chewing of an enlisted guy.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Mac, gotta know when to fold 'em. You've got nothing to prove to anyone else here, let the cry baby wimper about how "wonderful" the world would be without guns. Anyone worth their weight in sh*t knows the score and knows that posting that kind of crap in the "weapons" forum is about as useful as handing out condoms at an abortion clinic.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprto
reply to post by macman

Mac, gotta know when to fold 'em. You've got nothing to prove to anyone else here, let the cry baby wimper about how "wonderful" the world would be without guns. Anyone worth their weight in sh*t knows the score and knows that posting that kind of crap in the "weapons" forum is about as useful as handing out condoms at an abortion clinic.

Condoms......

Could use them for the muzzle end of the AR system to avoid moisture.

ATS needs an ANTI GUN Forum area, so I can post weapon updates in it and be surprised when ignored and attacked.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

If you like FUBAR stories I got one for ya...

Back in the late 70's I was stationed out at Pendleton Southern Calif...
anyway one day the old man tells us our fire team (4 men) has to repel a simulated beach assault by an entire company (100 guys) so we loaded up a pickup with all the smoke and CS grenades we could lay our hands on (Several cases of each...then drove out to the beach...

As soon as we saw the landing craft approaching we were throwing smoke and gas as fast as we could... got so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face....

and then the wind shifted.... from the beach to out over Pacific coast highway 101...

for four and a half hours they had to close all traffic to and from San Diego to LA... until all that smoke and tear gas cleared... talk about you A chewing...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Haaaha, I'd support your effort to educate those who oppose firearms on the latest firearms and modifications. I always wonder how many of the anti-gun crowd have ever died just after thinking "damn, I could really use a gun right now."

I think what most fail to realize is that like the anti-gun posters in the weapons forum, guns are tools. They are useful for many things. Hunting, defense, offense (when necessary) and even as a hobby. The type of tool that is better to have and never NEED than need and never HAVE.

But like most average gun owners, I'm just a blood-thirsty killer who would hate to see the planet and our species prosper....

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Very good story as well. A little traffic disruption never stopped a battle. I wish I had some crazy ass FTX stories to share, but most of mine consisted of the mundane blood, sweat and man-tears. Lots of man-tears. Some would say I needed a manpon. Kidding obviously, but the extent of my ass chewings usually came from using the butt of my rifle during FTX scenarios to drive home a point.

On a related note, I thought Marines were impervious to CS gas! I used to kick it with some of JSOC's newly added MARSOC compatriots at one of our push-offs in Afghanistan, mostly guys who went the Recon route. They used to bitch and moan about how they basically lived off the stuff for the last 48 hours of selection and qualification. Pretty sure they mentioned sand in the vagina as well, though that may just be the Soldier in me coming out.

All kidding aside, good men, a jar head is always welcome in my foxhole.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

Yep. Brought up to think that an inanimate object can cause harm, just by being. Very foolish.

Had a E-7 once from the IG team with me and a small group during night time ORI. We were OP4. Anyways, during the second engagement, we were instructed to cut the state side bases perimeter fence to go around the stationary thermal cameras. The rational was that the enemy does not abide by ROE, so neither will we. Got kind of chewed out, but did get the commander for the unit pretending to be deployed.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
There was a recent newspaper story
Incident Reveals Why Gun Carry Laws Work even for those who don't carry...

the fellow in this story... a gay rights activist... was riding his bike to work (in DC)
when he was attacked by 8 large young black men...

so he goes into his pack for his cell phone to call for help...
only one of the assailants cries out "Has he got a gun??? Is he going for his gun???" then takes off running... his buddies follow ...

no he didn't have a gun... but thanks to our ability to carry... the bad guys fearing he might have one... took off...
now imagine how much worse it would have been if there was a law that prevented concealed carry... the poor guy might have been beaten half to death... or worse...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Hey man, adapt and overcome, the man be-damned! We did do something like that during airborne school, came across concertina wire riddled with noise-makers and flares close to our objective. The AO was cut off at the very end of one line of concertina, about 100 meters from our position. We said fudge it and just hopped on around the side, ninja'd OPFOR like they had never seen. First line of spotters looked like they saw a ghost when my fireteam popped up from the brush about 15m in front of them.

Luckily I was a lowly RTO just following my team lead's orders during that FTX. His thought was that if OPFOR is going to spend all afternoon making a barrier that is nearly impossible to cross while maintaining stealth, we'd just float across this imaginary line and give them a taste of the rogue ninja lifestyle. Apparently command knew about scorching hot lava also known as leaves that inhabited the far side of the barrier. Team lead had his B-hole puckered up real tight for that talking to.

Ya'lls stories are much more interesting however, makes me wish I had started a forest fire and smoked the bastards out or something.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprtoIt's thinking like that that probably got your tail through SF selection however. An ass chewing is expected for such actions, but you applied that go-getter mentality that gets any man into the teams. Quite funny story actually, wish I would have had the titanium balls to do that during my early FTXs.

All things considered I could have done without that ass chewing back then a Major meant something.

I never even saw an officer but at formation and that was the Platoom Leader – I hardly ever talked to him for sure.

Officers were mysterious to me back then.

Much less a field grade officer – that was like getting my butt chewed by the President or something; might as well have been god as far as I was concerned.

All about prespective though I guess when I became a Major I realized you can’t spin a dad cat without hitting a few around Group HQ and at the Pentagon I made the darn coffee and picked up a lot of dry cleaning.

Worse than the one time butt chewing was the ever present don't leave your vehicles unsecured lectures that the 1SG would give at the Company that invariably ended with someone shouting yeah or the G-Man will steal them... TOP Would say – “Yeah, thanks – I forgot about that!” This exchange was followed by a “G-Man! Knock em out!” This lasted for months until someone committed an even worse FUBAR.

I do have to thank the 1SG for preparing me for the Q course. I had no problem with upper body strength events.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join