It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JFK Terminal Evacuated Over Suspicious Package

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

JFK Terminal Evacuated Over Suspicious Package

www.nbcnewyork.com

Port Authority police have shut down an American Airlines terminal at John F. Kennedy Airport as they investigate a suspicious bag.

A law enforcement source said the bag was left by a man who was screened and boarded a flight to San Francisco. He left the bag in the business class lounge, the source said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A bomb-sniffing dog gave an alert about the bag.

Not much more information, just seen this on the news and thouht I'd bring this to attention. Hopefully it isn't a bomb of some sort and is just a false alarm.

Will update if I see any additional information given on the subject.

Thanks.

www.nbcnewyork.com

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
False alarm...

Authorities have given the all-clear at an American Airlines terminal that was shut down at John F. Kennedy Airport because of a suspicious bag.

The first alert was at about 7:42 a.m., and the all-clear was given around 9:15 a.m.

www.nbcnewyork.com...

edit on 25-7-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

Let's just hope it's not some nutjob copycat attack. This manifesto and all the other content from the Norway shooter being portrayed in the media is bound to inspire some easily manipulated people. Normally I would say it is a paranoid airport security guard, but the dog triggered the alarm. It could be a false alarm due to traces of a suspected chemical used in bombs or it could be something legit. Thanks for alerting us.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

someone simply forgot a bag, nothing more, IMO. No need for alarm. Airport security doing their job.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

It is a sad reflection of the world we live in though. Not too long ago, some good samaritan would have grabbed the bag and ran it back to the man. Great customer service would entail shipping it on ahead so it would be waiting for him in San Fran. Or in worse times and locations, thieves would just take it and ransack it and toss it in the trash. But alas, we are in a day and age where they evacuate that whole part of the building and let a team of experts evaluate the threat of a forgotten bag.

A few months ago, someone left a bag in the lobby of my building. Our A-1 security personnel finally noticed it after about 4 days, and upon noticing it they sprang into action and evacuated the building.
For 4 days it wasn't an issue, but all of a sudden it became an emergency. It was finally searched and found to be some paperwork from someone that had attended a meeting here.

What a world.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

God help us all.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
We live in an engineered state of manufactured anxiety.

The reason for this is two-fold:

1 - Anxiety engenders an impulse to escape reality, and
2 - Anxiety justifies acquiescing to the actions of an external "authority"

Sadly, many who reject the possibility of social engineering the mundane citizenry, often find themselves 'surprised' at the nature of changes in society; so much so they refuse to accept what others have so succinctly described thus far.

I suspect the time will come when it will be a 'crime' to 'forget' or 'misplace' anything which could even 'look like' a 'suspicious' object anywhere in public. At that point we will become a herd of people clutching our belongings desperately, everywhere we go.... or are we there yet?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by elevatedone

It is a sad reflection of the world we live in though. Not too long ago, some good samaritan would have grabbed the bag and ran it back to the man. Great customer service would entail shipping it on ahead so it would be waiting for him in San Fran. Or in worse times and locations, thieves would just take it and ransack it and toss it in the trash. But alas, we are in a day and age where they evacuate that whole part of the building and let a team of experts evaluate the threat of a forgotten bag.

A few months ago, someone left a bag in the lobby of my building. Our A-1 security personnel finally noticed it after about 4 days, and upon noticing it they sprang into action and evacuated the building.
For 4 days it wasn't an issue, but all of a sudden it became an emergency. It was finally searched and found to be some paperwork from someone that had attended a meeting here.

What a world.

Well when you put it that way. It is kinda hilarious when you think about it

second line

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

A bomb-sniffing dog gave an alert about the bag.

Not much more information, just seen this on the news and thouht I'd bring this to attention. Hopefully it isn't a bomb of some sort and is just a false alarm.

Will update if I see any additional information given on the subject.

Thanks.

www.nbcnewyork.com

Dog handlers can force a dog to alert easily, happens all the time at security check points when they want it to.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
It sort of makes me feel better knowing that the system does function. It was probably just a bag but better safe then sorry!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by etombo
It sort of makes me feel better knowing that the system does function. It was probably just a bag but better safe then sorry!

No. No, it is not better safe than sorry.

Would you agree to being locked in a padded room and fed only puree'd food for life? That is the safest possible way. That is the end result of the "better safe than sorry" argument. This is one case where I don't mind jumping on the "slippery slope" argument, because we are already half way down the slope!!

If we allow ourselves to give up just a little more and a little more. OK, seatbelts aren't that big a deal, why not wear them, whats the harm in a $50 fine? OK, a metal detector isn't that big a deal, whats the harm in walking through one. Ok, credit records make sense for lending, why not centralize them.

Pretty soon, instead of the occasionaly seatbelt ticket, you have laws allowing you to be pulled over for that singular violation, your car searched, and you arrested on any number of related charges. Pretty soon, a metal detector becomes an intrusive 3D "nude" scanner. Pretty soon a credit record becomes important to get hired for a job. There are always unintended consequences. The end result is you in a padded room, with puree'd food and somebody else making all the "safe" decisions on your behalf.

///end rant

Sorry etombo, that wasn't all just for you.

edit on 25-7-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Would you believe it, I was at a fireworks store a few weeks ago and there were no smoking signs everywhere. What's the deal with that? You cannot smoke anywhere now days.

Security in an airport is a necessity
I travel very often and I am never critical of the security precautions.
edit on 26-7-2011 by etombo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by etombo

LOL!

Once again, I disagree. Smoking in a fireworks stand is a matter of natural selection. The government doesn't need to make it illegal, nature has already provided plenty of penalty for such bad decisions. If I am in a fireworks stand with my children, and some idiot is smoking, I will politely ask them to stop, then demand them to stop, then physically make them stop, and if they resist, they will get another form of natural consequences. If I were not able to be physically intimidating, then I would find a fireworks stand with a better class of clientele. There is still no need for a specific law.

Nature is amazing. Let it work and we all benefit. Start fiddling with it, and our collective IQ begins to look a lot like what we are seeing today.

ETA:
Let me say that I am critical of the security protocol, because it doesn't work. It doesn't do anything to make us safer. There are still plenty of chemical combinations that survive their 2 oz rule and are deadly. There are still plenty of ways to get behind security in an airport. There are still plenty of little podunk airports to charter a flight out of, skip security, and end up in the secure area of an International Airport.

The security protocol is all for show. I am a private pilot, and I know airports, and I know they are not secure. I also have some friends that investigate this type of thing for the government, and they know airports are not secure. The precautions are to make you feel secure, so you will continue to fly.
edit on 26-7-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

haha.. I like you.. I actually agree with you more than you think. Statistically all of these precautions seem irrelevant but it's more about peace of mind to a lot of people as well. I see a procedure in place that plays out, I am satisfied about it. That's all. I would rather a contingency plan be in place than not.
edit on 26-7-2011 by etombo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join