It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear Grylls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hello people
I have this recorded on sky + all the time, he shows some very good survival stuff. Also he eats everything that moves check him out and try watching his episodes download them or something well worth the watch imo.
Rgds Jay

Link

Mods please change the thred name to Bear grylls, sorry a pasted twice.
edit on 25-7-2011 by ototheb85 because: message to mod

also check out this guy Ray Mears, his is more bush craft but just as good.
Ray Mears

edit on 25-7-2011 by ototheb85 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/25/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title changed, urge to change title to "Bear Grylls, douche or life saving rain maker?" averted.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ototheb85

Indeed, He has been around a bit mate.

But, thanks i geuss for bringing it to our attention.

vvv

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
He is alright. But he is mainly just for show, plus he was a weekend warrior

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
bear grylls is a douche

he is an extreme adventurist
Not a Survivalist
Most of the stunts he pulls are frowned upon by those in the know...
just another clown making his name so now they can slap it on crappy products
that will be made in china/india out of crappy material.

it was funny watching bear give himself a salt water enema on a raft

think of england

or the time he drank straight urine

what a tool

Don't Forget to buy his "Survival Pants" comes with cheap T shirt

or the BG Survival knife

gotta love the blaze Orange accents
that's to help your corpse stand out from the landscape

edit on 7/25/2011 by spoonbender because: bear grylls your my hero

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

bear grills is a < cencored > his " survival techniques " are a slow track suicide strategy

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I put a link to Ray Mears too, no one mentioning him!

I think Bear is great, but each to there own I guess!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
In a SHTF scenario, I'd rather have Ray Mears at hand than Bear Grylls, someone with a well honed knowledge of adaptability rather than simple survival.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
you know bear never goes out on his own. always has a camera crew with him.
maybe even emt's.
now the best that ever was on was the survivorman les stroud.

he went out by himself and filmed himself, he did have a radio he could use and call for help from if he needed any from the folks at the base camp or back at the hotel. [
edit on 25-7-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
you know bear never goes out on his own. always has a camera crew with him.
maybe even emt's.
now the best that ever was on was the survivorman les stroud.

he went out by himself and filmed himself, he did have a radio he could use and call for help from if he needed any from the folks at the base camp or back at the hotel. [

No Doubt ...

Prop's to the crazy Kanuk Les Stroud

He is The Man

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
yep i always enjoyed watching les.
all these new ones kinda suck.
but there is the new dual survival which is pretty good, i think kinda funny how the army guy talks about the bare foot hippie and the hippie talk about the gung ho army guy.

CODY LUNDIN the hippie
DAVE CANTERBURY the ex army guy

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Old Grylls is safe as houses you can tell is a no bull amazingly daring survivalist walking weapon . Those are just some of the tricks he can pull . But you can see for yourself he is a proper decent bloke . It is the brand dealing contracting commercial managers who make the rubbish but I swear he is televisual gold . I should hope hes quite rich.
And what he says is worth knowing , just like the Mears . Thank heaven for their good sense , you could probably trust them wit your kids too , ex services and you'd wish there could be lot more names or series like these . But all the dire rubbish they are feeding children everyday these days , on TV , while some do not even eat at all for lack of knowledge . If this is new material we can be watching it , so thanks OP .

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

but there is the new dual survival which is pretty good, i think kinda funny how the army guy talks about the bare foot hippie and the hippie talk about the gung ho army guy.

CODY LUNDIN the hippie

I never enjoyed watching Stroud, but I know many people do. I think what he did the best was build his shelter, ha, ha. What turned me off of Les was the time he 'finally' caught a turtle(doesn't take much) to eat and cut the feet off and roasted them over a fire. Leave all that meat in the shell? I've seen him, more than once, go for a week on nothing, but seaweed and grass.

Or the time he tried to make a hook out of a piece of glass to catch salmon(It broke). So he goes out in his boat with net he finds on the sand beach thinking he's going to catch them that way(dragging the net). They are jumping right out of the water all around him. He didn't think to make a net scoop, I guess. Another week of starvation!

Les is good at identifying edible vegetation and eating what's lying on the ground. I do give him credit for that and carrying around all that equipment, but if I had to rely on him to survive...I don't know. He's very paranoid too and constantly worries about something eating him.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2

CODY LUNDIN the hippie

I never enjoyed watching Stroud, but I know many people do. I think what he did the best was build his shelter, ha, ha. What turned me off of Les was the time he 'finally' caught a turtle(doesn't take much) to eat and cut the feet off and roasted them over a fire. Leave all that meat in the shell? I've seen him, more than once, go for a week on nothing, but seaweed and grass.

Or the time he tried to make a hook out of a piece of glass to catch salmon(It broke). So he goes out in his boat with net he finds on the sand beach thinking he's going to catch them that way(dragging the net). They are jumping right out of the water all around him. He didn't think to make a net scoop, I guess. Another week of starvation!

Les is good at identifying edible vegetation and eating what's lying on the ground. I do give him credit for that and carrying around all that equipment, but if I had to rely on him to survive...I don't know. He's very paranoid too and constantly worries about something eating him.

there was a couple of shows where he did things that didn't make a lot sense. and i too wondered why.
point is he is own his on, when out in the boonies, no body there with him to help if he falls or eats something he shouldn't. he has a radio to call for help if he need's it, but as you know if your deep out in the jungle or lost at sea, help can be a long time in coming. where as bear has a crew right there with him and i'm sure they got groceries, and equipment just in case there is a o sh@@ moment.

He's very paranoid too and constantly worries about something eating him.

well yea, there's things in the wild that will bite your ass, kill you, make you sick and just plain out ruin your day.
did you see the show where he was in the jungle and a panther was moving in on his camp, he bugged out and the panther stalked him to a village and was trying to get into the hut where he was.
it pays to watch out in the boonies .[

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
LOL, no I didn't see that episode.

Just recently I heard that Grylls and his crew would bug-out and get a hotel room when the going got rough.

Here's the article on Grylls. I'm not saying it's true!

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 25-7-2011 by Onboard2 because: Added a link to article

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Bear Grylls: Tougher than anyone that posts here, more knowledgeable than anyone that posts here, no matter what you can say, he's ex Military, he's climbed Mount Everest, and is tough as nails. He's a showman though, and I'm sure in a true Survival situation he'd play his cards a lot more carefully. He has some invaluable tips, but like I said, a LOT of what he does would get 99% of the normal, non-superhuman population killed. Always with a film crew.

Ray Mears: Loves his cheeseburgers, but loves his wilderness also. Very good at making documentaries on Histories (loved Northern Wilderness). He's truly a survival expert, and his tips and tricks are things I've employed in the wilderness many of times. Very good, but always has a HUGE BBC film crew with him. However, I'm sure he'd do just fine alone.

Les Stroud: Has a #load of guts, he may be paranoid, but with good reason. He shows you the hard truth about survival... you WILL be hungry, you WILL NOT succeed the majority of the time, and it's hard and lonely. Les only did 3 seasons of Survivorman because I'm sure he's come within an inch of death by dehydration a couple times... but that's what happens in Real Life... I've gone on 5 day backpack treks and I'll tell you, a few of them I needed to hunker down and figure out a way to live, when you run out of water and there's no water in sight, and you're thirsty and hungry... what do you do? It's easy to type it up on a computer, but when you are THERE, and LIVING it, it's much, much different... at that moment you want to be anywhere else. Afterwards is when you realize it "was all worth it". Les Stroud has twice more balls than Ray Mears and Bear Grylls put together. He's just not as good of a teacher. His new show "Beyond Survival" is pretty good, although I hate his sombre attitude when he's always like "they are loosing their skills... blah blah blah."

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
He takes to many un-necessary risks in a survival sitaution. I know alot of it is demostrating certain points and maybe showing off a little bit, but taking the risks he does will get you killed.
Is that Mears guy the one who cried in the woods for an entire show because he was lonle or was that someone else?
edit on 25-7-2011 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

CODY LUNDIN the hippie

These two give alot more usefull info as well as Les Stroud, although going without footwear in certain climtes isn`t such a good idea. Maybe for the beach.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In my opinion:
Bear is good entertainment in the sense that he does some crazy stuff, but doesn't really provide any usable information. If I'm stuck in the jungle, I'm pretty sure I won't be repelling down a 100' waterfall using vines.

Les provides good info. The program actually shows him making the fire, shelter, etc. instead of just cutting to the next scene where the shelter is built and the fire going.

Dual Survivor shows you that there is no "one true" way to survive. Find the styles/techniques that fit you and go with it.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Bear Grylls is, I'm sure, an excellent survivalist.

His show, on the other hand, displays things that no normal person should ever do in a survival situation. Dangle yourself out over a 400 foot ledge, yeah, that's smart. It's 99% entertainment.

Les, and the guys from Dual Survival are much more educational and realistic with their shows. Dual Survival does have a camera crew, and some things are "set-up" but still, overall, it offers a lot of valuable information. Les' show was the ultimate in realistic, just him by himself, pretty impressive. Things don't always go as planned, he fails at certain things, but that's life. It gets the point across that nothing ever works 100% of the time, or works in the way you want it.

Like I said, Bear Grylls is tough as hell and could probably survive most anywhere, but his show really isn't about that, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Recently I have found the Man vs Wild Celebrity Special fun to watch...

Here's one with Will Ferrell

This one is good too...

edit on 26-7-2011 by relocator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join