It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I spotted 30 satellites last night in an hour and a half is that possible ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonweed
hmmm...i'm using NOVA and Orbitron...and neither one of them show OTV2 in the list of "satellites"...wonder if it's called something else

Maybe they don't have a need to know

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
As a child I was thrilled to see just little dim Sputnik or perhaps Explorer 1 at night, just one little bright speck fly by and that's it.

Now I see so many zipping this way and that, and since I sleep outside during summer I get a chance to witness the spectacle every night.

Yes, it is entirely possible to see 30 satellites on the right nights. I love seeing the Iridiums, and the ISS but my favorites are the space junk, the tumblers, that are hard to see. They flash intermittently, sometimes quite brilliantly, just meandering along.

The only thing I've ever encountered that I thought was strange were not the two satellites following one another, but two following two together in fairly close configuration...

...one always hopes to see something extraordinary that has no handy explanation.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

I witnessed the Nano-sail D flash a few months ago. If you want to see some flashes, it really caught me off guard how bright it was.
The more you get outside, off the computer, and look up during the evening, a lot of the objects start to become more clear as to what they are. I would assume there are satellite orbits not listed for military reasons.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
The more you get outside, off the computer,

NOOOO!!!!!

ATS will go bankrupt if everyone did that...

Besides...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by czygyny

The only thing I've ever encountered that I thought was strange were not the two satellites following one another, but two following two together in fairly close configuration...

A bunch of military satellites do that... like the NRO LaCross series

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Aha, how interesting! I only have seen that once in the three years I've slept outside, but, alas, I can't stay awake all night!

I was under the impression that satellites can't be illuminated in the depths of night, yet I've seen some even at 2-3 am, although only for a very brief time at the zenith.

And, yes there have been some great meteors in the last few nights! Very nice.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

It's very possible, i live in northumberland in the middle of nowhere so there is next to no lgiht polution. I was burning a bale of hay last night (horse couldnt eat it as it was mouldy) & watched the sky for a while, so many satellites up there it's unreal!

I really hoped i would see a UFO but other than the odd plane and lots of satellites no joy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join