It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual gold action in early trading

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Look at that sharp spike...somebody got quite freaked out over something there.

Who?

What?

Anyone want to weigh in?

I have no ideas to offer but maybe one of you do.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6159783f1ddc.gif[/atsimg]
edit on 7/25/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I don't think there's much to say about a 1.5% increase in gold, other than "someone bought a bit of gold".
As for whom? Probably a government (China most likely).

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by myster0
reply to post by silent thunder

I don't think there's much to say about a 1.5% increase in gold, other than "someone bought a bit of gold".
As for whom? Probably a government (China most likely).

A 1.5% increase in 45 minutes is unusual enough to be notable.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The price of gold goes up as the value of the dollar goes down. This financial problem never could have happened if we continued to use the gold standard.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
There were some initial fears around US debt and coming to an urgent agreement before markets opened in Asia.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Gold value is an inverse reaction to the value of the dollar. Every time it goes up, your purchasing power goes down. Spikes in value indicate inflation.

Leyman's terms... you get less gold per dollar every time the value of gold increases. Inflation.

Things will be a little more expensive. Gasoline will go up 10 cents by tuesday. Gasoline is an interesting topic, ten years ago if you said "gas is gonna be 3.79 a gallon" most people would say "hahaha!"

Someone has to pay for these wars and its you!

It's the ultimate catch 22. We go to war with oil bearing countries, they charge us more for the oil. A tax percentage on fuel is one thing... they wont raise the tax percentage... so what can you change? The price. They win, they win and they win again because we are paying for it!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
Gold value is an inverse reaction to the value of the dollar. Every time it goes up, your purchasing power goes down. Spikes in value indicate inflation.

Leyman's terms... you get less gold per dollar every time the value of gold increases. Inflation.

Things will be a little more expensive. Gasoline will go up 10 cents by tuesday. Gasoline is an interesting topic, ten years ago if you said "gas is gonna be 3.79 a gallon" most people would say "hahaha!"

Someone has to pay for these wars and its you!

It's the ultimate catch 22. We go to war with oil bearing countries, they charge us more for the oil. A tax percentage on fuel is one thing... they wont raise the tax percentage... so what can you change? The price. They win, they win and they win again because we are paying for it!

Last I checked in my state (North Carolina) income taxes were dropped 1% but they raised the tax rate on gasoline purchases I'm not sure how much.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think i have the answer!!!!

sunday 24th is the same day my girlfriend innocently told me -"i am so happy i just found out my sister is coming back from israel in about 2 weeks"; "any reason?" i ask; "well her husband who is in the army says there is going to be a war against iran and wants her out of the country..."

i dont have anything more to add, other than my gf not quite understanding the potential magnitude of this statement, but this is verbatim what happened. Ties in with this and there are other threads that corroborate this.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Notice also a bunch was sold too..

It does happen that somebody buys a lot, the price rockets, then they dump it for profit, repeat wrinse laughter.

Ever seen HFT charts? They are crazy.

Here is some HFT charts for your jaw dropping experience..

www.nanex.net...

edit on 25-7-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

Thanks for that link, those are fantastic. I like the names too. I've seen a few like that in recent years. HFT = "this is why we can't have nice things." The death-knell of the individual investor. To the bunkers...

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
A 1.5% increase in 45 minutes is unusual enough to be notable.

Funney you should say 1.5% because thats about all i get on my fiat savings after a whole year by the time taxes are deducted.

Won't tell you what i've been doing for the past four years, might bore you a bit but i still keep cash for holidays, bank holidays and i know it's low but i give it a 5% chance that we might see one in the next couple of days and thats a lot more than the 1,5% than the banks gives me for a whole years interest on my trust in fiat

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master_007
Funney you should say 1.5% because thats about all i get on my fiat savings after a whole year by the time taxes are deducted.

Savers are punished in this environment.

Think about all the social security recipients/US bond holders living on fixed income. Not only are they receiving below nominal interest rates on their treasury investments, but thanks to congress, now they're faced with the possibility of a government default on the principle. When you factor-in currency depreciation against non-discretionary household consumables and energy needs...our seniors are already living in fiat hell.

God bless 'em cause our oligarchy certainly won't.

Nice flagpole in Gold today. Bulls have a marginal upper hand, but keep an eye peeled for a viscious take-down attempt as we head into op-expiry tomorrow.

Jesse says:

25 July 2011
Gold Daily and Silver Weekly Charts

Gold and silver look particularly good in times of thuggery, deception, and the willful arbitrariness of the powerful to promote their own interests, the public be damned.

However, the markets are still clearly signalling that they believe that cooler heads will prevail, and there will be a fresh opportunity to game the market and steal from the many.

The US made a tragic mistake in not pursuing real reform earlier on, and speaking out for it forcefully when they had the momentum and opportunity. Co-opting the reform movement and turning it into a tool of the monied interests was a stroke of genius.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst are filled with passionate intensity.

Tomorrow is option expiration on the Comex. I hear that there are quite a few call options open around the 1600 strike. So we would expect the price of gold to get hammered down below 1600 sometime this week.

When options are in the money, they are converted into open futures contracts. So there may be a lot of new holders of futures contracts who get a stiff gut check on Wednesday through Friday, if it does not come tomorrow. - Full Text

You can get a good look at this morning's flagpole if you click-on the Netdania Quote List > hover and click on Gold > when the chart box opens in your tray, click the 1 hour time scale near the top the chart.

*To view the US dollar feed > click on the World Markets tab at the top of the Quote List.

GL

edit on 26-7-2011 by OBE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Not long after I posted last night the not-for-profit Gold cartel launch a failed bushwhack at approx 3:30am NYT (London open). A favored cartel bewitching hour. With most US traders usually snug in their beds at that time the metals are particularly vulnerable in thin trade.

The illustrious Mr. T says:

Recalling Last Tuesday

Just a couple of things while we wait for The Wicked Witch...

1) Once again, The Cartel raided the metals in the U.S. overnight. This time, they extracted about $6 in the 5 minutes beginning around 3:25 EDT. This has been their recent pattern. Over the past two weeks, raids have been a frequent occurrence between 3:00am and 5:00am EDT. I do not have the charting capability to print a 15-minute or even an hourly chart that goes back the past 10 days. If anyone does, please post it in the comments below. I'm sure it would be telling. - Full Text

Actually it's been the pattern off and on for several years. Looks like the longs might be catching a clue and setting alarms for 3am

So far, so good.

GL

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
One of the best at interpreting market dynamics for the novice lay-trader, Jesse re-caps today's comings & goings at the Comex with a heads-up for the next couple of days.

26 July 2011

Gold Daily and Silver Weekly Charts - La Douleur du Monde - Option Expiry Fizzle?

Although there were some efforts to push down price in the thin hours, the debt ceiling showdown has a bid under the metals, so most of the action was in capping the price to keep it manageable. So what next, declare victory and go home?

When Comex options expire, the holder receives an active long or short position in the contract the next day. And so we will have quite a few new futures contracts issued tomorrow given the number of 'in the money' calls.

When a person buys options, they are limiting potential downside. When you hold the futures contract however, the downside is no longer limited, so the holder often places a 'stop loss order.'

The Street crawlers can see those stops and their clustering and will often test that number and give the newbies a 'gut check' to see how serious they are. - More

*Check-out Jesse's proprietary Babson Style Charts...beautiful!

GL

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just had a peek at silver and it's doing very nice indeed and todays rise would buy me a car not that i want another one but what i would like to see is silver going down cus i've got another $12,000 fiat i want to convert to silver.

Metal over paper is such a done deal, it's borring to talk about but i'm up for a debate on silver against gold

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
No Gold or Silver related traffic today ?

I've been advocating on behalf of PMs and related stocks on this site since the 600s, and across those four and a half years I've identified ATS as pretty reliable contrarian sentiment indicator. When Gold/Silver threads are popping-up like dandelions with enthusiastic remarks like "It's only going up from here!" or "I think we'll see 50 by the end of the week!"...I know we're nearing an intermediate top. When the threads disappear, like today...we're in corrective mode. Only after the threads lay dead in the water for consecutive days running, do I know we may be nearing a bottom. Gold is more or less holding it's own, but Silver is headed back to the bargain basement...buyers should be jubilant...plotting entries. So where's the noise ? Sub 40 Silver may be a relic soon. I hope those looking to get in, or accumulate more...plan on taking advantage of it.

GL

28 July 2011
Gold Daily and Silver Weekly Charts - The Collapse of the US Dollar Against Silver

I suspect that the capping on gold and silver will continue into the month end tomorrow, and quite likely into some resolution of the debt ceiling discussions which will probably occur next week. They might not, and that will indeed be interesting. The Mad Hatter and his Merry Pranksters think that a 'little default' might be a good thing to make the country more malleable to their non-negotiable demands.

On a deal, the first impulse will be for stocks to rally sharply and the metals get beaten, in the usual 'risk on' trade. However, depending on the resolution of the debt ceiling, when people think of it after they have had their jollies in the first reaction, they may realize that absolutely nothing has really been fixed. The US financial system will still be corrupt and broken, and the politicians have openly stopped caring about the voting public and their opinions, in their desire to put on the corporate feedbag. - Full Text

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
If I had come across this Louise Yamada interview a little earlier I would have included it as an addendum to my previous post. For those that aren't familiar with her work, Yamada is a very mainstream technical analyst with superior street cred. She's definitely not of the 'goldbug' variety (Read: Someone inclined to develop an emotional attachment to their investments - clouded vision).

If anyone is feeling down in the chops tonight because Silver didn't springboard to the mid 40s off this last rally...then moonshot to 50, they should really listen to this interview. The last thing Silver investors should want to see right now is another overheated parabolic sprint to the old record. A pre-mature move could double-top and collapse into a multi-month correction. Silver needed to play catch-up, and it has, but we outpaced the fundamentals. Ideally Silver will continue to base here for a period, build a solid platform, then stair-step it's way to a new high. Yamada touches briefly on this dynamic and offers some interesting price objectives.

*Consolidations are healthy and offer a great opportunity to buy low...if you're a buyer.

GL

Louise Yamada with Eric King.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
As per Jesse last week we got our pre-announced debt 'resolution' Sunday evening ahead of the Asian open, and the requisite take-down in PMs. With the risk-trade apparently on again, our fickle precious metals/general equities correlation goes negative for the umpteenth time.

But the only correlation that really matters longer-term will remain positive well into the foreseeable future. See it here.

GL

Buy Gold, buy Silver, have faith. - Darryl Robert Schoon

edit on 31-7-2011 by OBE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Even Cramer is speechless.

New all time highs and we finally took out Sinclair's 1650 angel in AH electronic trade this afternoon. Jim missed by a few months, but that was one helluva call when you consider it was made a number of years ago.

Uptrending Channel Is Beginning To Steepen For Gold

August 2, 2011, at 11:10 am

Gold has been able to better the price cap near the $1625 level and is now in the process of attacking the $1650, the level which my good friend Jim Sinclair long predicted it would approach. Should it take out this level, it looks to be on a path to $1680 based on what I can from this newer channel. Downside support is initially at yesterday’s low of $1608 followed by $1600.

Aiding its upward progress in US Dollar terms is the fact that it has once again scored new all time highs priced in both the Euro and the British Pound. - Full Text & Charts

Congratulations JS!

GL

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
yep, we're in a wave 3 upmove now, and the market operators dip the price to set new longs...especially on the tuesday before the carry trade day....harmonic elliott waves

top topics

<<   2 >>

join