It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska volcano shows signs of impending eruption

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Alaska volcano shows signs of impending eruption

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Recent satellite images of a remote Alaska volcano along a flight route for major airlines show it may be poised for its first big eruption in 10 years, scientists said.

The Alaska Volcano Observatory has issued an eruption advisory for the 5,676 foot-tall (1,730 meters) Cleveland Volcano, located on the uninhabited island of Chuginadak in the Aleutian chain about 940 miles (1,500 km) southwest of Anchorage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk[/ur l]
[url=http://www.thedutchharborfisherman.com/article/1129cleveland_volcano_gets_hot]www.thedutchharborfisherman.com

www.foxnews.com

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Looks like we might see another air traffic disruption as this one is going to effect major air routes. As stated, the last major eruption from the Cleveland Volcano was 10 yrs ago.

Airlines are already preparing, lending credibility to an event. This would be the flight path between Asia and N. America so if it does go off, it's a possibility that it will have a major impact on travel.

Alert level raised for Alaska volcano
www.foxnews.com...

ANCHORAGE, Alaska – The alert level for an Alaska volcano is being raised after officials say persistent thermal anomalies have been spotted in satellite data. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.alaskadispatch.com...

Based on satellite data showing "thermal anomalies," the Alaska Volcano Observatory has issued an eruption advisory for Cleveland Volcano, located in the Aleutian Chain about 45 miles west of Nikolski and about 150 miles west of Unalaska/Dutch Harbor.

The advisory means the volcano could erupt at any moment with little further warning. The volcano lacks a seismic network, so observers are monitoring it as best they can via satellite, but if it blows, it could disrupt major air traffic routes. According to the AVO's latest status report, the volcano's most recent significant eruption began in February, 2001 and it produced 3 explosive events that produced ash clouds as high as 12 km (39,000 ft) above sea level and produced a rubbly lava flow and hot avalanche that reached the sea.

edit on 23-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I hear London is under fog advisories which will also have an impact on travel.

Crazy times isn't it.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The last 2 days have been full of good news eh?

/sarcasm

2011 is easily the most eventful year I've EVER experienced, and we're only 7.5 months in...
I don't too much wanna meet 2012..

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just wondering why you didn't add this to the Volcano watch thread.

Is there something about this information you feels deserves it's own thread?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

It's a toss up sometimes. Since this is in a number of news sources, it was a call for breaking news. As well as the fact that it's going to disrupt Asia-N. America air traffic.

Oh well. the Mods will move it if they see fit.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well we cant say this volcano hasnt erupted in ten years because it has been fairly active over those 10 years, I think the message to the story is it could be its first "Major" eruption in ten years.

Still worth mentioning though.

2009 Eruption
A small explosion occurred at Cleveland volcano on 25th June. Ash reach a height of 15,000 ft above sea level. A brief eruption of Cleveland Volcano, Alaska, occurred at 2330 hr (local time) on 2nd October 2009. A small ash cloud reached an altitude of 6.1 km, and drifted northeast 600 km before dispersing over the Bering Sea. There is no seismic network monitoring Cleveland volcano, so short-lived explosions and ash plumes may not be detected.

2008 Eruption
An eruption occurred at Cleveland Volcano in Alaska on 21st July 2008. Ash emissions reached 20,000 ft altitude on 22nd July and extended 50 km ESE.

2007 Eruption
An eruption occurred at the volcano in early August 2007 with ejecta visible from an aircraft on the summit and slopes. In February 2008 an eruption sent ash to 20,000 ft altitude.

2006 Eruptions
Short duration explosions occurred at Cleveland volcano on 6th February 2006, 23rd May 2006, 24th August and 28th October 2006.

2005 Eruptions
Small eruptions occurred at the volcano between June-October 2005.

2001 Eruption
On 19th February 2001 Celveland volcano erupted explosively for 8 hours. An ash cloud reached an altitude of 12 km. The eruption cloud extended in two directions, 40 km northwest and 60 km southeast of the volcano. Ash drifted for 7 h before falling at the town of Nikolski, 75 km northeast of the volcano. Mt. Cleveland erupted explosively again on 11th March. The eruption was smaller than the 19th February event, and lasted 3 hours. Ash reached an altitude of 8 km. On 13th March after 42 hours the ash cloud extended 1000 km towards Kodiak Island. The last explosive eruption occurred on 19th March, and produced an ash cloud to a height of 9 km.

www.volcanolive.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SNAFU38
Well we cant say this volcano hasnt erupted in ten years because it has been fairly active over those 10 years, I think the message to the story is it could be its first "Major" eruption in ten years.

Still worth mentioning though.

You're right. It was a typo on my part actually. All news sources state the same as well.

Thanks. Corrected.

And if this one goes, it could be major according to those same sources. I truly wish I could find a livecam but haven't found any. Would be a great show.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Agreed, it would be a lot nicer if there were webcams aimed at any volcano that has the slightest potential of going up.

I know locations dont make it easy in many cases, but it would still be nice.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I'm pleased this wasn't posted in the volcano watch thread or I wouldn't have known about it, I don't have time to read all the threads so being able to see a headline allows me to read more about this, so Thanks for the thread OP and ignore the member(s) with delusions of grandeur.
S&F for you

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Thank you for posting this. I have been waiting for this one to go off. And see what impact it is going to have on the UK and the rest of the Europe.

I am so glad I have not booked any vacations abroad this year.

This one is the biggest Volcano out of them all yes? on Iceland that is.
edit on 24-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I wonder if mt. st. helens in washington state will become active again soon. I remember the big eruption (1980 i think?) we had ash clear to here in colorado

And also, thank you for the post. Never would have seen it in the "volcano watch thread"
edit on 24-7-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Great point as to how crazy of a year this has been, but it has only been 6.5 months in, not 7.5, We just hit the half way point on July 1.

According to a science journal I read, this year has been a record breaker for all years of natural disasters intensity and we just past the half way point...Get ready to hold on.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have a friend that lives in Anchorage, Alaska and she has been writing us telling us what is going on there.
I will try to get more information as soon as she writes me and let you all know what is going on.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerBellAmy
I have a friend that lives in Anchorage, Alaska and she has been writing us telling us what is going on there.
I will try to get more information as soon as she writes me and let you all know what is going on.

That would be great if you could do that. I know a lot of people would appreciate it...myself included.

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I double that thanks, If you can get more information and keep us all updated, The main stream media wont. Seems they are being prevented nowadays from telling us anything.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I hear London is under fog advisories which will also have an impact on travel.

Crazy times isn't it.

Yeah it's not like London never had great fog or anything in its history.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Is that not smog?

After all there was an alert out in London cause of the hot weather they were having, and the pollution was causing the smog in the first place.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thanks, Jude 11. I was thinking ( Dangerous...) Has it been a record year for earthquakes
erupting / volcanoes, thus far ? - Or are we just paying more attention to these events in the media ?
( i.e. better reported, so there appear to be more earthquakes / volcanoes erupting than is the " norm " ?

Many thanks...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJohnSmith
reply to post by jude11

Thanks, Jude 11. I was thinking ( Dangerous...) Has it been a record year for earthquakes
erupting / volcanoes, thus far ? - Or are we just paying more attention to these events in the media ?
( i.e. better reported, so there appear to be more earthquakes / volcanoes erupting than is the " norm " ?

Many thanks...

I don't know about that. I've been on the net since it was a black screen with green letters. (DOS)

And I've been noticing what seems like an increase in EQ and Volcano activity as well. I don' think it has much to do with the net being available as many people are saying the same things.

IMO

top topics

<<   2 >>

join