It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any other stock investors on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just curious. I've started to do a bit of investing to try and get some extra cash. Plus with the current debt ceiling situation, I've been investing in silver and other commodities in case the dollar tanks. I don't do options, it's pretty risky, I just buy and sell long.

Some of my favorite stocks:
-Apple (just keeps going up!)
-SLV (Silver ETF)
-IAU (Gold ETF)

Hopefully this can be a thread to discuss stock picks and what you think of the stock market in general

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

i got OUT... only in HARD assets now..

the 4-B's
Bullet's- Butt's- Booze- and uhh,, Broads......

That Should keep me Safe from the 5th B,,,,, Bombs...

or not..

edit on 7/23/11 by darrman because: ?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I pick whatever I am in the mood for after I sell some of the others. I wait for the market to be down for a few days and then buy. It almost always works. I just check the stock to make sure it isnt in too much trouble. If it checks out I buy. Over analyzing is not worth it. The less I think about it the better I do. Hope that helps.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It is important you understand that you are speculating with all stocks. The markets are propped up by manipulation, and are often misleading. Paper silver and gold will be good for accumulating more paper money. If you feel brave there is AGQ, and DGP, and DSL, FAZ, SRS on the short side.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

My husband is 57 I am 49, about 6 months ago I convinced my husband to withdraw from the market. I have for many many many years watched the markets the politics and world news, with the catastrophic weather patterns, the us government destroying americas economy and other world issues There is no possible way Id invest in stocks. Talking about metals, think about this, in the event the economy crashes food becomes scarce, no gas, all the horribe things that could happen and in my opinion will happen, how will you beable to eat with your metal coins???? just curious because whoever has the food wont want to trade it for a metal they cannot eat.
edit on 23-7-2011 by lbndhr because: added an extended ending

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

AMEX:GMO

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Thanks to ATS and the things I've learned here; that we are almost into a corporate Oligarchy where
every move a person makes will be under some type of surveillance. I have sunk a fair amount into
companies that manufacture, monitor, and record audio/video data. America will in the not to distant future
be like Britain with a video camera everywhere; Sub contractors with buildings full of monitors and people looking
at the monitors reporting anything that looks "suspicious" to the authorities.

It's a growth industry and building a Police State takes resources.

I do feel bad in a way contributing to this but business is business. At least I won't be buying any stock in Halliburton.

I also play the metals market and BRIC but mainly as a side line.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

edit on 23-7-2011 by whaaa because: whaaa???

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
Just curious. I've started to do a bit of investing to try and get some extra cash. Plus with the current debt ceiling situation, I've been investing in silver and other commodities in case the dollar tanks. I don't do options, it's pretty risky, I just buy and sell long.

Some of my favorite stocks:
-Apple (just keeps going up!)
-SLV (Silver ETF)
-IAU (Gold ETF)

Hopefully this can be a thread to discuss stock picks and what you think of the stock market in general

Hello mossme89,

I have often wondered what kind of returns stock investors are making and what kind of fees are involved with stock investing? Are you a buy & hold investor?

I don’t invest in stocks or metals but I’ve have been investing in real estate for 8 years now and love it. I don’t know anyone who invests in stocks so I’m curious as to the lure of stock investing.

Thanks & good luck with your stocks.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by topdog30

Get out of real estate ASAP. There's a significant chance of a second real estate bubble collapsing.

Anyway as far as fees, brokers charge commission fees for buying and selling. TDAmeritrade, which i was using, charged $10 per trade (which is pretty high IMO). However, since I deposited $2000 initially, I got 500 free trades for 30 days. Not sure if they still offer that though. I am in the process of switching to Lightspeed trading. It's not anything special, but with $1 commissions, it's hard to beat.

I'm not a buy and hold investor, more like short term (a couple days to a few weeks) and/or day trading. And as far as returns, it really just depends on what you are investing in. Like if you bought Apple when it was $315 a month ago, it's now $393, so you would have made 24%. Supposedly the market is recovering, but i'm not sure if it actually is legit considering the economy is still in the tanks and unemployment is still high.

I'm a traditional stock buyer/seller, where you buy stocks and then sell. There's also short selling, where if you think a stock will plummet, you borrow shares from someone and then sell them. Let's say the stock drops 20%, you just made 20% profit (minus any fees such as commission and interest). There's also options, which is basically a bet on whether the stock will rise or fall, and gives you an oppurtunity to buy or sell at the bet price by a certain date. I stay away from options because firstly, i don't have enough money, but it's also incredibly risky and i almost feel like it's cheating the stock market.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I did very well two years ago trading OTC.BB and Pinks

THEN.......... I lost just over $30,000 in only 3 trading days (crooked Market Makers).

I want to get back in, but that loss has my confidence rattled a bit.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Thanks for answering my questions.

I’m not worried about another real estate bubble collapse. If it does I’ll just be able to pick up homes even cheaper than I am now. I do about 30-40 rehab flips a year so I’m in & out of them pretty quick. The only real estate properties I hold are apartment buildings. I even pick up the apartment buildings at a very steep discount. I always have a minimum of 30%-40% equity in all my properties from day one.

WOW!! You’re making a fantastic return there!! I only pay my private lenders 12%-16% on the money they lend me for 90 days. Short selling of stocks sounds interesting as does options. I’m more of a risk taker though, but not a gambler. Sounds like you’re doing a great job with your money. I might try stocks one day but for now I enjoy rehabbing.

Good luck & thanks again for answering my questions.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

Sorry to hear about your loss
That's why I do real estate, no speculation! I know what I'm going to make a before I buy.

Have you ever thought about teaming up with an experianced real estate investor in your area and becoming their private money lender or partner??

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by topdog30

WOW!! You’re making a fantastic return there!! I only pay my private lenders 12%-16% on the money they lend me for 90 days. Short selling of stocks sounds interesting as does options. I’m more of a risk taker though, but not a gambler. Sounds like you’re doing a great job with your money. I might try stocks one day but for now I enjoy rehabbing.

Haha, I didn't say i owned Apple, i was just pointing out the kind of return I could have had if i did.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

I burnt myself years ago and it took some time for me to get back in.

To the OP if you are making a good return on your flips, you might want to skip the markets. It does take time to monitor things and you might be better spending that time on houses (something you know).

Or you can chose high dividend stocks. 8% with no thinking involved.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lbndhr
Talking about metals, think about this, in the event the economy crashes food becomes scarce, no gas, all the horribe things that could happen and in my opinion will happen, how will you beable to eat with your metal coins???? just curious because whoever has the food wont want to trade it for a metal they cannot eat.
edit on 23-7-2011 by lbndhr because: added an extended ending

You can buy like ten plus years worth of food for 30k... I have about 2 years worth (plus a garden, seeds, and rifle) and doubt more than that will be necessary. So I buy metals...

If I have extra food in my garden why wouldn't I want to trade it for silver or gold if I have my other necessities covered? You think I'll just let it rot?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenBeans

But what kind of retirement does all those veggies get you when you reach your seventies?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by SevenBeans

But what kind of retirement does all those veggies get you when you reach your seventies?

Hopefully a healthy one... "retirement" is such a strange term in any case, what does that mean exactly?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I have about (depending on the market) 800k-1M currently in the stock market. I had more but converted it into physical property (some gold.....some other things). The secret to making steady money on the stock market is to understand reality and social issues. I know that sounds goofy, but combined with my retirement and my stocks I can retire in two years. And I'm not NEAR retirement age!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I USED TO WORK ON WALL STREET BUT NOW I JUST TRADE FOR MYSELF AND A FEW CLIENTS. I SEE TRADING AS ONE OF THE LAST WAYS TO GENERATE INCOME IN THE FUTURE. WITH JOBS STEADILY DISSAPEARING AND THE GOVT MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR SMALL BUSINESS TO COMPETE WITH BIG CORPORATE YOU WILL HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO TRADE.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I can make more money playing poker than trading, both are games that produce nothing and I no longer have any interest in such games... I'd rather grow food and make a little money than play phony games against computers and make a lot.

"I grew food..."

"I sat in front of a computer pressing buy/sell buy/sell buy/sell over and over again..."

top topics

join