It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star and flag appathy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Sometimes I'll star & flag if I think someone's playing to the gallery for stars & flags.

But then I'll tell them what I've done.

That way they've got bad stars and bad flags. And they'll taint all their good ones. And that'll annoy the contributor.

No, I have nothing better to do with my time

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197
Sometimes I'll star & flag if I think someone's playing to the gallery for stars & flags.

But then I'll tell them what I've done.

That way they've got bad stars and bad flags. And they'll taint all their good ones. And that'll annoy the contributor.

No, I have nothing better to do with my time

I'm not sure if that was directed to me or not lol. But my main purpose was to bring some awareness and to see if others have noticed this apathy with the stars and flags. I expected at least one troll but not a troll in sight yet.
I'm actually quite amazed at the amount of responses I have revived here on this topic. And I enjoy reading other peoples perspectives. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Stop giving me stars !

They're so devalued a currency on here, it's like the Weimar Republic, with people pushing about wheelbarrows full of good stars. And bad flags. And other stuff. Ok even I'm losing the analogy now but you know what I mean.

Does it really matter what you say on here anyway ? I've been looking back at some of my older contributions. The first thing I've noticed is that the younger me was remarkably witty & articulate. He was SO deserving of stars. And applause, he used to get lots of applause until he fell out of favour with the greasy pole monkeys.

And everyone's contribution then was wonderful too, the whole standard of debate then was amazing. It was like Disraeli versus Gladstone in the year eighteen hundred and oatcake, with everyone else a Dorothy Parker or Oscar Wilde.

And of my wonderful contributions, who can remember even one ? Nobody. Even I can't.

It's such a pointless enterprise, posting on ATS. The only thing you get back is stars and flags.

Gimme a star !!!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

To me it does matter what iI say here because it gives me an outlet for my opinions.
My girlfriend never wants to hear me talk about politics or doomsday stuff here is a place I share my Ideas with others that generally have the same interest. And yes I am going to star you. Read the last line of my title OP. I would be dishonest if I didn't and yes I do agree with you to a point but I also value you for you're honest opinion. Thank you

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I've found myself giving stars to those on my threads who present arguments or alternate views contrary to my OP. If they take the time to do it in an intelligent way that can prevent food for thought or even took the time to suss out sources for it, why not?

Anyone participating in a friendly, non-combative/trolling way deserves a star regardless of whether they agree with my stance on the topic.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Can I have a star?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Starred and Flagged !

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
hi all,

i personally believe the STAR / FLAG system is not used properly...

FLAGs should be to promote SERIOUSLY urgent news...

i see too many flagged threads that are a waste of space, IMHO...

STARs are just for "effort", or Agreement...

i give lots of stars, especially in threads in dont actually post in...

but flags are different...

i only flag a thread that i genuinely feel needs to be brought to other peoples attention...

i say " be more thoughtful about flagging threads !!!"

seeya

edit on 23/7/2011 by shaneR because: typo

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I give stars and flags based on the thread whether I write or not, but if I do write a post I absolutely give a flag, as I have taken the time to write whether I agree or not, even if I talk about it or share it with another I make sure that I share the appreciation with the one that took the time, as it takes alot (for some) to write a thread.

I dont care if someone wants it or not. Giving in return means something to me.

Peace, NRE.

BTW I meant if I write or not, but appreciates the thread, made me laugh, or think.
edit on 23-7-2011 by NoRegretsEver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Personally, and no offense meant, I just don't really care to star or flag anything. I don't rate anything by how many stars or flags, as I don't pay attention to it. I could give a crap about anyone around me because all I see are a bunch of self obsessed people- in general- in society I mean. Such a system only exists for people to pat themselves on the back.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JustinSee

The point of the Star and Flag system is to expose content that is relevant. Nothing more.

Otherwise, everything looks the same.

How individuals feel about stars and flags is irrelevant, as this does not conflict with their content's relevancy.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Are you sure you're not posting up this thread to get it starred and flagged? =D Just kidding, I usually forget to click the buttons since I am a very forgetful person lol

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
i have to agree with the op... im not usually bothered about how many stars flags ive got. but sometimes it takes hours to put together a well researched and presented thread, and you watch it pass through the new topics into oblivion.. without attention... it is frustrating.

i have actually stopped bothering to make "mega" threads because of this.. sometimes its a complete waste of time. i did one yesterday, which took many, many hours of research and time to put it together, which personally i thought was balanced, informative and well presented.. but the same happened it just disappeared, into the netherworld.

but sometimes you see a thread that contains one line and a youtube video or link to some nonsense end of the world theory and it ends up on the front page.. the system of flags is slightly flawed because of that..

i have many ideas and subjects to present that i know people here will be interested, that will take days to collect and present the information.. but i dont want to waste my time to be honest.. the one i made yesterday was proof of that to me.. and that one was relatively quick in comparrison, as i already knew alot about the subject..

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I dont think I've ever starred or flagged anyone in the whole time I've been here.
Apart from egotripping for that poster, I really cant see the point.

As MisterLondon (the post just above me) explains - the system is *supposed* to reward great work, but (as I read while lurking and learnt before signing up) it actually just rewards popularity.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee
Personally, and no offense meant, I just don't really care to star or flag anything. I don't rate anything by how many stars or flags, as I don't pay attention to it. I could give a crap about anyone around me because all I see are a bunch of self obsessed people- in general- in society I mean. Such a system only exists for people to pat themselves on the back.

no your wrong there buddy.. if it wasnt for the flag system, alot of good threads here would go unnoticed, think of some of the good ones you have seen in the most flagged section.. you would never have seen them if there were no flags... and this system has brought alot of good threads to my attention...

the stars indicate whether a post is accurate/makes sense/good idea/good comment etc..

you want to be a member here, post and have discussions but you dont want to partake in any of the things that make this a community... i think that says more about you than the self obsessed people you talk of...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Totally. If I like a thread then the first thing I do is flag it, it's only fair. Sometimes I may contribute to a thread I disagree with and won't flag it because I don't find the OP to be important, although if I agree, it's flagged.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
I dont think I've ever starred or flagged anyone in the whole time I've been here.
Apart from egotripping for that poster, I really cant see the point.

As MisterLondon (the post just above me) explains - the system is *supposed* to reward great work, but (as I read while lurking and learnt before signing up) it actually just rewards popularity.

well... you could have given me a star then!!! only joking... on a serious note, it is a shame you dont flag then i think we need more people with your attitude flagging good posts..

stars i can understand..

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by enament

Feel free to star this post

edit on 24/7/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Star & Flag
I have noticed that too, but wasnt sure if it was just me thinking that.....Thanks for posting..

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I especially like a good debate. I Often find myself scrolling through a thread looking for good points to give a star too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join