It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Evade Gunfire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
90+ people have been killed in the deadly shootout in Norway as of now reported. I can't help from thinking what if I was in a situation like that. What would have been the best thing to do? Run for cover? Run away? Time to google!

www.wikihow.com...

Tips for an outdoor shooting

Take cover immediately. Upon indication of gunfire -- either hearing it, seeing the shooter, or noticing bullets coming your way -- drop anything you're carrying and sprint for the nearest cover or concealment. Don't bother trying to figure out where the gunfire is coming from unless it's the only cover and concealment and the shooter may be occupying it. The nearest cover may be something lame like a wet gutter or a fire hydrant, but don't pause for your dignity -- it's your life. If there's absolutely no cover at all within a 2 to 3 seconds sprint from where you are, drop to the ground and crawl to it.

The other thing to do when exiting an indoor shooting situation is DON'T STOP! Keep going. Not only does this lessen the chances of you getting shot by the original shooter, but it makes the decision of who the first responders are going to shoot much easier. And that includes keeping you from being accidentally shot by the responders.

I guess that would work if the gunman is far enough away from you but what if hes a few feet away from you? And you see others dropping on the floor? I would do the same and pretend to be dead. Chances are the shooter would just move on to find its next lively victims instead.

www.slate.com...

Hiding is only a temporary strategy, though, since a gunman like Cho may plan to kill everybody in a room. At least two of the students at Virginia Tech survived by playing dead, but if they had more time on their side, they and others could have gone on the offensive.

See it works!

www.nononsenseselfdefense.com...

Tips for an indoor shooting

If you are inside with an active shooter, get outside NOW!!! A whole lot of people who get killed in school shootings, workplace shootings and spree shootings die because they crouch down behind something and the shooter walks right up to them. They don't see him coming because the same thing that hides them from his sight, blocks him from theirs. Don't hide behind doors or in closets. Head for the exit. If you have to throw a chair through a window to make an exit, DO IT! Getting into another room will give you time to open an escape route.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Mexico Trains Children What To Do During Gun Battles

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The best place to hide for me would be behind the trigger of a gun.
It's sad to see the world is so #'d that at the age of 5 we are educating about violence.
Descansa en paz

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Reply to post by A por uvas

it's the cost of living among other people.

in the wild one the first lessens taught is predator evasion and deception.

human beings aren't any different than any other animal in the kingdom. we just like to think we are.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
how about rushing the shooter if he is in the same room as you, maybe try and stick your pen/pencil into either neck artery to stop him while grabbing his forearm(the arm that he is holding the gun with)with the other hand.
I admit you would need some balls to do this but it might just save your life and you coould even get a medal for saving the lives of others.
edit on 23-7-2011 by lewman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
I would do the same and pretend to be dead. Chances are the shooter would just move on to find its next lively victims instead.

In general this might be a good idea but in Norway this would have you killed. The shooter revisited all his victims (or those laying around on the ground) and shoot them in the head justz to make sure they're really dead.

So running away as fast as you can in no straight line might be the best.
edit on 23-7-2011 by UnixFE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I always carry concealed.
I'm shooting back and will empty the clip until one of us stops moving.
Running is not an option for some of us.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
simple basic rule as taught while one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children

IM UP, HE SEES ME, IM DOWN..

get up run a few steps, hit the deck, preferably behind something

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Yeah I'm going to echo the thoughts of my fellows who eluded to ...
the best way to Evade Gunfire is with Covering Return Fire...

We jar heads are taught to be proactive rather than reactive ya know

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Learn and remember the difference between COVER and CONCEALMENT...something as small as a.308 will cut down a nice sized tree in 20 rounds....if you are gonna hide,then do it right....move away from the gunfire at a 90 Degree angle....dont run in a straight line...develop and USE situational awareness...the best way to evade gunfire is to not be there when it starts..carrying a nice pistol in your belt and a bigger something in your vehicle helps a lot too

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
common sense tells me to duck and cover

if they cant see you they cant shoot you.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have evaded gunfire for nearly 62 years now -- all around the world. Frankly I don't really worry about it. But then I'm not generally afraid of things.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have had several personal incidences where suddenly someone was coming at me without any notice and my first reaction was to go towards them, at them, and onto them without thought; I am not sure why but that instinct is built into me. Each time I was completely unprepared for the encounter and each time I reacted the same way, I did not think my body just reacted.

Fortunately none of these involved a gun but I am certain a gun is not going to make me think any faster or any slower I just react that way.

Rationally I say if you are going to be shot then go towards the shooter not away; either way the bullet will hurt but one way will possibly disable a shooter, but who can claim to be rational!

I also note that I focused on the knees of my attacker and each time I managed to ground the foe to my advantage; when I say focus I was not thinking. Perhaps I have this built into my subconscious.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My one thing to add:

If you are running from it, serpentine, serpentine, serpentine. Never, ever run in a straight line. If you are unpredictable, you are MUCH tougher to hit when you are on the move.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
first you want to establish how many shooters there are, the locations of them or him, then you want to find a route to get out of the area (with the most cover) and most important, DON'T PANIC. if you are getting shot at the best thing you can do is remain calm and wait for a momentary lapse to get to a safer position.

If I had been on the island and it was my life on the line, I would've made the choice to kill him.
depending on the situation. if there is some buildings around it would be entirely possible to flank him.
wait till he's reloading, maintain a visual if possible. work your way up slowly from an angle and then strike.
i'd grab the gun and pull it down then quick spin with it and shoot him. and I wouldn't necessarily go ahead with this plan if i'm not a 100% sure.

thats just me though. I have this natural tendancy to know instantly where a shooter is and where they will be.
don't lecture me about being an internet armchair warrior on adrenaline or whatever though...
if you're in THAT situation, people are dying, you could be next, what do you have to lose??
I train for close quarters combat everyday. somebody wants to take my life, it's not going to be easy and they will probably end up dead before me. without that mindset you just cower, shake and cry.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If you are going to rush a shooter throw something at them. Most people will instinctively raise their arms and duck to avoid the object, and if it is big enough (say a school desk) it will provide concealment while u rush in, offering some surprise

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Nice thread, OP....

Thanks for posting....

S&F

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I would also think about setting things on fire in a prolonged situation-smoke is a great way to conceal movements.
What to set on fire for good smoke?
Anything synthetic-fabrics plastics etc makes good fast,dense smoke.
But remember smoke makes it harder for YOU to see as well.

Can also be used as a diversion,to lure a shooter away from a specific area.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Good thread OP.

Boy some people on here are really full of BS, have played too many games and OBVIOUSLY have never been in a shooting scenario. Which is fine most people haven't but don't assume your super hero antics will work.

A big thing in a shoot out is you must know the difference between "cover" & "concealment". This varies depending on the weapon being faced also. What is cover from a 9mm. is concealment when facing a AK-47.

Concealment works if the shooter don't know you are there but is worthless if they know, also even if they don't know your there it won't stop a stray bullet.

Is the shooter 5' - 10' away or is he 50' away?

Does he have a rifle or a handgun?

Are there 50 people in the room running around as targets or just 3 of you?

How many shooters?

Jump through a window if that's the only way out quickly. Cuts from the glass beats a bullet or two, even from the second floor.

Being a person who carries daily I can agree with the point of hiding behind a trigger but the fact that you carry a weapon don't magically mean you are safer or will come out alive. It only gives you another option.

The crazed gunman scenario is scarey because you are never aware of when and where it could happen but fortunately it is super rare overall around the world

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
For me running just in not in the cards for me. I have a bad knee and can not run. In such as case I would be good as dead anyway so I might as well just go on the offense. It may just give someone esle the time to get away or to take them out. If I am going I might was well try and take them with me.

And yes, I have been shot at before. I have also been hit twice. It really messes up your whole day.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join