It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

** USA Debt Talks Collapse!!! Boehner Quits Debt Talks With Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
FOX News just broke the news at 10:08 or so.

Boehner Ends Debt-Limit Talks With White House, Turns to Senate Leaders

House Speaker John Boehner on Friday pulled out of negotiations with President Obama on raising the nation's legal limit to borrow money, just days before the Aug. 2 deadline when the Treasury says the government will no longer be able to pay all its bills and possibly faces its first-ever default.

"The White House moved the goal post," Boehner said Friday evening in a news conference, claiming that the talks broke down when the White House demanded an additional $400 billion in new revenues, on top of the $800 billion that had been agreed on -- "which was going to be nothing more than a tax increase on the American people," Boehner said.

"They refused to get serious about cutting spending and making the tough choices that are facing our country on entitlement reform," he added.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Not good.

Expect USA to be down graded by the Rating Companies Monday.

Obama First US President to have this happen to.

Another first.... ugh... Please stop.
edit on 7/22/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
just more showboating.

the debt ceiling will be raised nothing will stop it and the status quo continues.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Albert Einstein ....

The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them.

These politicians cannot solve these problems .... They ARE the problem!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
the republicans will probably be blamed for this, and obama is certainly trying to spin it that way, but the problem is that obama doesn't want a solution.

he doesn't want a balanced budget act that would require the government not spend more than it makes (the most simple, obvious, and beneficial thing we need right now), he doesn't want to cut spending in any meaningful way (you couldn't raise taxes enough to make up for the spending we do without further crippling the economy), so "negotiating" with him will lead to a higher debt and more government spending.

neither side will go far enough and implement the legislation we need for our country to survive. we will either default on august 2nd, or go bankrupt in the near future.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

That says it all.

Bravo. Seriously.

They are the problem.

As it has been stated many, many times.

We Don't Have a Revenue Problem, We Have a Spending Problem.....

And, awesome avatar/minipic.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Oh Cool, now there might be some cheap property for sale in the US...

Ok...How much for...Texas? Ive got a few thousand saved.

Or how bout, Virginia?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Debt Ceiling Countdown

Bookmark it!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Money is just a tool to enslave the people to build the infrastructure and technology needed for the apocalypse. Money is fake, money is endless. The money borrowed is designed to never be paid back. people, famine, wars it's all foretold to be the chaos before the storm. Just saying.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oh No!!!
We need to put Ron Paul in control now!
Then, he can can split the fishes and the loaves so we all can eat!
Seriously, though, the good doctor isn't going to buy food for your pantry. And since the worst looks in front of us, get to the store, stock up now. And, if you really believe in the rhetoric, share with your neighbors once they can't afford food.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You don't like the paint on the walls???

Well,,, you can save money on paint by taking a match to the drapes.

edit on 22-7-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Problem is at this point what do we do? When we vote the idiots out we just get new idiots in. This has been going on for years. Not all in office are idiots but the majority definately out numbers the minority here.

So again the question is, just what do we do? Raise the ceiling again and have the people pay for it again? Do we default and let all hell breaks loose? I mean, Greece was close to defaulting in last year and many thought the wold economy would have crashed then. Now the US is talking of defaulting but the difference is we are not talking in billions like in Greece's case, we are talking in the trillions for the US.

Just what do we do?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MegaMind

Albert Einstein ....

The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them.

These politicians cannot solve these problems .... They ARE the problem!

Quoted for truth!!! Obama is the worst ever at this game. At least Bush did some things right. Ducks pie thrown at head, but he did.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
One thing I realized when Bush was prez and it still holds true ...

Democrats stab you in the back.
Republicans stab you right in the face.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
when i first heard of this i myself thought...right well this is the beginning of the end. but the more i think about it im fairly sure there would be to many rich people who would lose money of this and as such business will go on as usual. The rich hold the power not the poor.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Who gives a crap? I mean really. Every country on Earth except four, are in debt. Those four are not members of the IMF/World Bank. They are the likes of Iran, North Korea, etc. Who are we in debt to? Think hard.

The National Debt is just the money owed to the Fed from the Treasury. Congress has the express right to handle our money and they gave it away to a private bank! That is not Constitutional, and more importantly, it was in nobody's best interests but the banks.

To hell with them and their funny money...

They don't need the money, they make it! It's all about slavery without the slaves knowing.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The problem to me, in all of this, is that they are willing to cut social security benefits by 10 percent to the elderly of this country who have payed into the system their entire lives.

Yes, people say well the government pissed it away.

SO WHAT.

The WEALTHY people that have been running our country into the ground are the ones responsible for this in the first place...they are the ones who should have to shore up the deficits...not the most vulnerable of our country.

I can't understand it....nor frankly do I understand those who support this measure.

Obama has acted every bit the Republican, and yet still no dice. Dems, at least the decent ones, will not vote to cut SS or Medicare/Medicaid.

They cut the big three there will be massive consequences for anyone who voted for it I guarantee it.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Do you have links on a study about every country but four being in debt?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I agree with you, mostly. But, it could/can be said that the level that is looking to be cut shuldn't have been at the level/rate to begin with.

Congress just kept giving and giving away to a point that we now have to cut cut cut.

It has nothing to do with the age of the people, or status. It has to do with the USA being able to operate at a level that it can pay it's bills and NOT spend one penny more than it has taken in.

I don't hear anyone complaining about how they have mostly soaked the Social Security funds with a bunch of useless IOUs. Useless- as we know they can't repay!!!!

Sorry, but this time. CUTS ACROSS THE BOARD Period.

Look at it this way, when the USA gets back on it's feet financially, then we can disuss increasing the payment/amonuts again.

I really don't see what is so hard for people to understand- Don't Spend More Than You Got!!!!. I am sure you folks don't run you personal finances the way the US Gov't run theirs. If so, please tell us how you are doing.

Matter of fact, better let Obama know how you can run your stuff-like the gov't so they can see how to do it right.

I'll wait.....

edit on 7/23/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Those zionist will have you all working as cheap slave labour or killed in wars.

I suspect you are all watching a staged managed event much like a good old boxing match but the outcome has been decided long ago.

You will get you're new ceiling and those on pensions or un-employed will get shafted and the corporations will get to pay next to no tax once again.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

it's dinner time.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

a balanced budget act is a non-issue at this point, since such an act would have a provision that exempts them from keeping a balanced budget in times of war, and at the moment we have five wars!!!
more than likely, it would just ensure that we always have a least a couple of wars, just so we don't have to have the balanced budget.....

and if there's anything dumber than putting a country hopelessly in debt, it's putting a country hopelessly in debt while sending the ones you expect to pay off that debt off to get themselves killed in senseless wars that are only around so you can put the country hopelessly into debt!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join