It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Warps - Anyone else experience these?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
What I'm talking about, are just those times when you feel like a LOT less time has passed, than actually has.

This morning, my co-worker and office-mate says, "I can't believe it's 10 o'clock already!". I felt the same. Yet, then, in what seemed to be 5 minutes later, I see it's 11 o'clock. I seriously just can't see where that hour went, and she was exactly the same way. She said it felt like only seconds ago when she said it.

That's just one example, but it happens lots of times. In this case, even another person had the same thing.

Part of me, just chalks it up to time being a pretty human conception, and that for all we know, it doesn't "flow" the way we think it does (or the way our instruments perceive it). Perhaps we have some other sense that sees it more like it really is, and that's why our instruments fail us, etc.?

Just rambling really, but it really is freaky when this happens....

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
ive had somthin simalair exept it wasnt to do with a clock or nothing i went in the shower as per usaul i blinked a couple of times then i was out the shower in the middle of drying myself i couldnt really explain how it happend really

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This reminds me of that movie "Limitless", when he's using too much of the new drug then He ends up not remembering the last 17 hours and may have killed a woman.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JLO1986

Hmm..hope I didn't kill anyone...

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It is a trick the mind plays on you.
you do some thing so many times
your body just goes to auto pilot.

when you juggle balls
you dont do calculations as to where
you hand should be to catch the ball.
you do it on instinct.
some people do it driving to work or home.
its so boring that you dont need to think about it.
you do it so many times it is automatic.
and you are not awear of the time passing.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Gazrok, I also experienced what you're talking about. But it also works the opposite direction: Sometimes (and often it's times you feel very uncomfortable) it feels like as if hours should have passed, when in fact it has just been a dozen minutes.

Examples: When you're waiting for an important call. Or when you're doing boring work.

Wasn't it Einstein who spoke of the relativity of time?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Maybe that proves to you that "time" doesn't really exist?

"Time" only seems to exist because of a collective consensus on its existence/reality.

"Time" exists when you give it attention, otherwise it doesn't. And this you can perceive/realize personally.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I could have sworn I looked at the clock less than 30 minutes ago and it was only around 10 AM, not almost 11:30. I guess I must have lost some time again somewhere. Sometimes I think I must have fallen asleep at my computer. I could explain it away as time flies by when you are busy. It's kind of hard to tell when you suddenly get drowsy and fall asleep but sleeping while sitting at your computer and not falling out of the chair seems a bit strange.

I think it's more interesting when time seems to be moving super slow but I am still moving normal speed. I've actually experienced a few instances like that. That occurred after a few drinks on a few occasions. I enjoyed it because I was in a bar most of the time with video or arcade games and I easily blew past all the high scores. I remember one game I could never break past a score of something like 200,000 points. That night everything slowed down and I went through all 26 or 27 levels and started over again on one quarter scoring over a million points before I stopped to think this was not why I came to the bar. It was a nice diversion though.

I have noticed a lot of people have very slow reflexes and processing speed. If I only sleep for an hour or two my processing speed is impaired from my normal speed. I once experienced everything including myself moving in slow motion all day long. That was annoying because my muscles were stuck moving in slow speed too. Everything was back to normal after I got more sleep.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I'm probably just getting old but the last ten years have been like a blur. Sure I can remember major events but I can't remember details. I was writing a resume and I had trouble remembering the YEAR I worked at a company. I can understand the day or even the month but the year?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Hi Gaz.
Just want to say thanks for the thread! I really like you and seem to click with the majority of your posts.

It seems most of my time warps are when I am on ATS !! lol
Yeah, I have it happen often! and not just here.

Makes for a gr8 thread. Thanks again! S&F

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
"It's astounding, time is fleeting ...."

Sometimes, I get so busy that I can't account for where my time has gone.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have experienced similar time warp effects, but for the most part I explained it away as being mentally occupied with something and that perhaps I just lost track of time. At least this what I use to think.

Since I have had numerous incidents where time seems to be jumping ahead, I will have to say that I have gone over many things that I feel could have caused such a time distortion, but I am left thinking that perhaps what I am witnessing, is indeed some sort of time shift or time warp.

Some say that time is being compressed, but while I cant say one way or the other with any certainty, I am left perplexed by moments throughout the weeks and past months when I would sit down to post a reply and hours later as if time jumped I arrive at some future time frame without feeling as if I lived the two hours that I call missing time.

While I find your observations warranted, I also feel that no matter the amount of others who state the same concerns, that something is not normal about seeing time pass by as if only five or ten minutes have passed, only to find that two or more hours have passed in those moments that I felt were only minutes.

I will continue to monitor and or look for others that have witnessed such time jumps, but I am less than confident that I will find the answer to this perplexing anomaly.

Time will tell, but on a personal level, I am tired of losing so much time that I feel as if it is time that I didn't experience it when it happened. Same thing has occurred to me upon waking in the morning only to feel as if time jumped, but I got no rest or real sleep during the time frame noticed.

Until and if we discover what it is, I for one hope that such time warp occurrences diminish instead of increase, because when such time slips occur, it really does make me think that something is happening that I and others just cant understand what is going on.

Oh well, thanks for taking the time to mention this anomaly, but something tells me it is much more than just an anomaly. Either way, I for one don't think you have lost it. In fact, I am glad you took the time to mention it.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
For people who seem to have time slips or feel as if time is going faster:

When did you first experience this - what year/month and approximately how old were you?

I wonder if this all started about the year for most people or is this something that happens at a certain age?

I talked to family members and they all thought the last ten years went by faster than other years.

It would be interesting if people in their 20's also feel time speeding up or is this just something that happens to us old (middle aged) people.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What about when you go to bed at night, and it feels like you just closed your eyes, but 8+hrs have passed & it's time to wake up? Is there an explanation for that?

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i've experienced something like that a couple of times but the other way round.

i'm a translator by profession and havta catch loads of deadlines for big projects, so that sometimes i have to work overnight for at least a couple of days and have no time to eat even. but last year i had two occasions where i was struggling to finish a big articles of incorporation. normally i translate so about 6-7 pages of 1000 ms word chars, totalling to 6000-7000 chars per hour en > tr, and about 5000 chars tr > en (latter for research on terminology to make official papers look professionally and US like). anyway, one of these days, i had just a couple of hours left to deliver 30.000 characters of document and had hardly a prospect to catch the deadline. i did tho as the last 2 hours got somehow dilated. i kept on typing, thinking that a mere 3-4 hrs passed and finished the job only to find out that only 1,5 hours had passed. i could deliver the work on time and even earlier than scheduled. time had done me a favor.
edit on 23-7-2011 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-7-2011 by jamsession because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A lot of the time at work time flys but this one day I started work at 10 then what felt like hours later I looked at my watch and though "ohhh must be about 2" and it was only 11..... That day lasted for 2 days lol

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
For people who seem to have time slips or feel as if time is going faster:

When did you first experience this - what year/month and approximately how old were you?

I wonder if this all started about the year for most people or is this something that happens at a certain age?

I talked to family members and they all thought the last ten years went by faster than other years.

It would be interesting if people in their 20's also feel time speeding up or is this just something that happens to us old (middle aged) people.

Hi D,
I think the 1st time I noticed this was around August 2011!

(Sorry! Couldn't resist!!)

GTD

(I'm right with you on the WHOLE YEAR(S) passing by in a blur by the way!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I experienced such things a lot over the past year. Several times I would walk somewhere or do something that shoud[ve taken 45 minutes or so and find my confused wondering how the hell a couple of hours had passed. It would seem to me something has the ability to mess with the passage of time and is doing so to mess with people. For example, I would walk around from place to place and constantly pass or arrive at certain locations at the exact same times no matter the distance I would travel. I[d take a short break here or there etc and still arrive at the same times like 706 607 807 etc.. It started back about 2 years ago with a lot of 234 432 111 222 etc tehn slowly morphed in the times that had to do with my birthday. Weird stuff and my best guess was that something or someone out there has the ability to manipulate time around a person or whatever and control for its own amusement to utterly confuse the crap out of them. If I hadn[t falled into a situaton where I was homeless I would kept sitting in one spot for a long time to see what would[ve happened.

Since its all screwed for me I dont care about posting about but Id advise other that they better think twice before catching the attention of others and speaking freely about such events. You never know what kind of people might be lurking around sites like this trying to find people who have certain abilities or something trying to use them for something and others trying to stop it. Then again I[m a paranoid nutcase who knows to trust no one yet still tries to and constantly pays for it.
edit on 24-7-2011 by endthis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I often zone in and out of consciousness, however, like a microsleep, the gap in-between is filled with a dream, that only loosely connects the two sides of what appear to be bubbles in times.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Time only exists in the now. For this instant, there is no change, but it looks like there is change.

join