It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 6 Feet Massive SnowStorm in Chile - Whoooa !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Southern Chile Buried In Heavy Snow

www.sott.net

Araucania Region, Chile - Heavy snow storms bury southern Chile in six feet of snow leaving communities isolated with blocked roads and downed power lines.

A massive snowstorm dumped some six feet of snow on Chile's Araucancia region, leaving many without power and communities completely cut off from the rest of the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Wow, and people are complaining about the rain we are getting in western Canada. Least I don't need to wake up and shovel the drive way tomorrow.

How is this possible?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

Because it's technically winter in the southern hemisphere.

It will not be warm there until October or November.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

The weather just seems really messed up. This obviously doesn't happen in Chile often and with that happening there and the crazy heat waves going on in North America, just seems well... messed up.

edit on 22-7-2011 by anthbes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This was brought to my attention by lisaloeb1214 in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While we are getting a very serious heat wave here in Canada, Chile is buried under snow...

That article is from the 19th, reported from the 18th. The actual update is over nine ( 9 ) feet of snow or 2.75 meters in some areas !

More than 7.5 metres of snow is overwhelming the region. More than 7.5 metres of snow is overwhelming the region. Chile declared eight snow-covered municipalities a 'catastrophe' on Wednesday (July 20) as residents struggled to dig their way out of the snow that has left them without power.

Officials in the city of Lonquimay said more than 7.5 feet (2.3 meters) of snow has accumulated with some areas buried in as much as 9 feet (2.75 meters) of snow.

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=chile_declares_snow_covered__210711?ref=ccbox_homepage_category2

I don't think this is normal. Climate change anyone?

If there are ATS members from Chile who could reply here, it would be great. If you can't, be safe !

Video of the area:

Wow. Just wow !! What do you think ?
edit on 22-7-2011 by SonoftheSun because: corrections

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Its never been hot during summer in Canada?

Its never been cold during winter in Chile?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicketyCricket
Its never been hot during summer in Canada?

Its never been cold during winter in Chile?

Awww...the perfect reply. Nothing to see here. Move along. Everything is normal...

You are missing questions.

"Its never been hot during summer in Namibia?"

Zebras covered in snow. June 2011.

No weather change phenomena, right?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

As a Namibian I can say that the weather has been VERY strange so far this year, the rains went on for what felt like forever, some of the rivers have only just dried up, road were washed away to an extent that I have never seen here before, then winter and the snow, which practically never happens here and everybody forecastng a colder than usual winter for us but thats not the case, we've had a couple of cold days here and there but having lived here for fourty plus years I can definitely say that this winter has been quite comfortable with some very hot days thrown in just to keep us off balance! I don't even want to think about mid summer (December), it is probably going to be a scorcher!
And those pics/video of the Zebra feeding in the snow had us all walking around with our mouths gaping. I have never seen that here, the couple of times we have had snow it was just what I would call a dusting but this year it was SNOW!
edit on 22/7/11 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22/7/11 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I'm all for reasonable explanations to things, but isn't it time we just admit that 2011 has been an unusual year?

At least 5,000 inhabitants in a southern Chilean region have been isolated after parts of the area were cut off by the heaviest snowfalls in 16 years. The country’s National Emergency Office (ONEMI) said half of those affected live in Lonquimay, a region some 600 km south of Santiago.

Record Snowfall

edit on 7/22/2011 by Klassified because: link fix

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

How is this unusual considering this area covers latitudes 37 - 40 degrees south.

You are getting a fair distance from the equator, plus the Andes run through Chile so that helps to contribute to factors of snow.

It is winter in the southern hemisphere.

reply to post by Klassified

heaviest snowfalls in 16 years.

So your own quote acknowledges it has snowed in Chile in the past. This may be a deeper snow this season, but how is the fact that snow fall in Chile unusual.

Also we pronounce the name Chile as chilly, so what do you expect.

edit on 22-7-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

No argument from me that it snows there. My point was that 2011 has been an unusual year all around. Up to and including the largest snowfall in 16 years in Southern "Chilly".

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I can't imagine having 6 feet of snow

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

Yes. The climate is changing because it is not, and never will be, a static entity. It has changed in the past (even before humankind existed), and it will change in the future (even after humankind is gone).

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

Yes. The climate is changing because it is not, and never will be, a static entity. It has changed in the past (even before humankind existed), and it will change in the future (even after humankind is gone).

Ya maybe its a cycle that were going through? Could be the sun also

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

How is this unusual considering this area covers latitudes 37 - 40 degrees south. You are getting a fair distance from the equator, plus the Andes run through Chile so that helps to contribute to factors of snow. It is winter in the southern hemisphere.

Hi Acrux,

Yes I agree with you. Winter there, summer here. But the point I want to bring is that the weather is abnormal. It's not local anymore, it's planetary. Look, we are breaking records year after year after year. Be it summer and heat or winter and snow. Anyone not seeing this is denying facts.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Im not trying to discount anything presented. Namibia is next to South Africa. How many miles (or KM if that's your poison) is Namibia from Antarctica?

I know things are wacky all over the globe as far as weather go. It snowed in the suburbs of Los Angeles this past winter. That happened 50 some odd years ago also.

Im just saying that I'm sure these things have happened before, and will happen again. We have a collective memory problem as far as this planet goes. We seem to forget that just because it didnt snow once in the past 49 years doesnt mean it wont snow the 50th year. It snows in Death Valley. The hottest place on Earth.

ETA: I know that the weather patterns across the world are changing. Its not rocket science to notice that summer has been coming later and later from the time I was a child, until now. Living in Los Angeles, I get to see awesome weather most of the year, but when its a hot summer day in LA, its a hot summer day in LA. Even if that hot summer day is in October, instead of June.

Do some research on dynamic weather patterns. Thats the funny thing about water (which is almost always at the center of any weather topic), even when its frozen solid, its still dynamic.

edit on 22-7-2011 by RicketyCricket because: (no reason given)

top topics

join