It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phones are destroying our future

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Having read the replies so far, I stand by my post.

Some of these people do not even realise what is happening.

Ignore ignorance and those who refuse to try and understand your Pov.

it's not hard to see.. It's not that extreme..

Egos...yuck.
edit on 22-7-2011 by LightWarrior11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Surely the parents should have some influence here too though - if you let your child zombie-out in front of the computer 24 hours a day then they will turn into an iChild but most parents do not do this.
They go on holidays, go places at the weekends, read stories to their children, let them develop interests and encourage outdoor activity.

I pretty much grew up with computers, i think i was about 10 when I started, I'm not a zombie.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

People who grow up using cell phones don't learn how to communicate face to face.

Cell phone messages are corrupt messages. Humans need eye contact to communicate.

So really things have been going wrong ever since writing was invented and orders could be transmitted over hundreds or thousands of miles without the 2 parties actually meeting?

Or, to put it another way - what a load of rubbish

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The cell isn't just replacing other forms of long distance communication, it is also replacing face-to-face communication.

I think the real issue isn't a disconnection made by the device, but rather the way the device forms an inescapable hive mindset, which does not judge you based on your character, merits or personality. That has to be damaging for young people, never really being free to be themselves for fear of being judged by everyone, in an instant.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

No they aren't, because people still have to meet up face-to-face at some point. Or would you say that the invention of the telegraph is ruining our future too?
edit on 22-7-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Phones allow additional communication, not less. The real problem is video games, such as SIMS. Having computer persons, not speaking, just gesturing, and you make them interact. What a waste of time.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Dude, text messages have clear uses and benefits, even if they are over used. There's no point fighting technology. Resist all you want, humans aren't going to give up their phones or stop making better phones any time soon. And perhaps humans reproducing a little bit slower is not such a bad thing huh? I bet you believe gay people are a threat to humanity as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I agree that new technology is destroying the art of communication,but thats pretty obvious when our technology makes it easier to get into contact with one another globally

Global communication is become far less difficult,we rely on our technology for that ability though.

Just ask Mr, Google, he is the smartest and collest guy around.

Haha,had a good laugh at that,your right though.Everyone knows everything these days through Mr Google.Im not saying i havnt used it,but it takes almost all the effort from researching things.Im not saying its a bad thing,obviously not because i use it myself,but i believe everything has its pro's and con's.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It's a trade off.

The tech is inherently neutral.

Do we choose to idolize it and use it to an extreme degree?

Well it could be argued that when one takes anything to an extreme, it become more likely to be pathological.

I think societies have crossed that threshold with electronic technology, and this is coming from a computer whiz who used to see no harm whatsoever.
edit on 22-7-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Having read the replies so far, I stand by my post.

Some of these people do not even realise what is happening.
Maybe they're misunderstanding your evil messages, you should try talking face to face with them.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The only thing that ticks me off are people who use cell phones in public and get angry when they think you might be overhearing their conversation. You want privacy? Go somewhere private. Simple.

It may be a lil' off base but it's my 20th post... so meh lol

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I have a pay as you go cell phone with no texting. I'm pushing it if I use more than 50 minutes a month!
I always hated answering the phone, now the majority of people can't stop using their cell phones for 10 minutes. It's now a part of their body!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.

Kids these days have very poor communication skills, among other things.

They need to learn to look people in the eyes and tell the truth.

They need to work on their grammar and vocabulary.

Watch a US kid on TV, they speak like dolts. No complete sentences, lots of "ums" and "likes" and one easily questions their level of intelligence.

Watch a Brit kid on TV, proper grammar and complete, thoughtful responses.

Night and day.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Cell phone messages are corrupt messages. Humans need eye contact to communicate.

Says the man posting messages on an internet forum.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

People who grow up using cell phones don't learn how to communicate face to face.

Cell phone messages cause a lot of trouble - for example, misunderstood messages, evil messages to gang up on someone - and we have seen that happen many times - and allowing people to hide behind evil messages.

What will happen when a whole generation grows up unable to communicate properly?

As it is, men and women find it difficult to communicate - it will be impossible for them.

And getting together to reproduce - difficult.

So, you could say that cell phones represent the end of the human race.

No, I do not agree with this.

I grew up with a cellphone as all of my friends did, but it has in no way whatsoever affected my social skills.
I would much rather talk face to face when breaking news, presenting business proposals or anything else that requires another human being.

It is generalization and I do not believe that is a fair thing to do. It is, as almost 99% of any other thread on this forum a theory and therefore I cannot say that I condemn it or discredit it completely.
What I can say though, is that I believe in face to face conversations and I know almost all of the people I talk with on a regular basis, prefers face to face interaction.

In case you are wondering about my age, I was born in 1992.. So I'll let you do the math......

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The cell isn't just replacing other forms of long distance communication, it is also replacing face-to-face communication.

Yes - like I said - a process which started as soon as we were able to write!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

My reply to you, Chaotic,

Is that I have many gay friends and no no no to to your other accusation.

And I will send my gay friends around to tell you how lovely I am.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join