It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell phones are destroying our future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
People who grow up using cell phones don't learn how to communicate face to face.

Cell phone messages are corrupt messages. Humans need eye contact to communicate.

Cell phone messages cause a lot of trouble - for example, misunderstood messages, evil messages to gang up on someone - and we have seen that happen many times - and allowing people to hide behind evil messages.

What will happen when a whole generation grows up unable to communicate properly?

As it is, men and women find it difficult to communicate - it will be impossible for them.

And getting together to reproduce - difficult.

So, you could say that cell phones represent the end of the human race.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

What about going to school your whole life, or working at an office or construction site. People don't communicate 24/7 with people on their cell phone.

I own a cell phone but rarely even use it to talk on, and how is the cell phone any different than having a house phone 20 years ago? Sorry but I don't see your point of view.

EDIT: is this a joke? I am sort of confused...
edit on 22-7-2011 by anthbes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
We are obsessive creatures. Until we burn out on it and move on to the next obsession. It takes decades, in most instances, to burn out the obsession. Religions are one, liberal ideals another. The electronic leash will eventually be regarded as what it is and be hated on an individuals basis, not a societal whole ever. After all, the cell commercials constantly attack and keep the newness alive with always the next model. It's all about seeking newness, the core of our psychology that give the only happiness. It's all about the change and kinetics.
edit on 22-7-2011 by tkwasny because: Typo fixed

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
People who grow up using cell phones don't learn how to communicate face to face.

How did you work that out? Do people that have cell phones solely communicate that way? I'm pretty sure I saw some teenagers talking to each other face to face yesterday.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Yes, you are right. However, on the flip-side. I have regularly watch teenagers SMS each other whilst they are standing next to each other. Still, kids and their toys I suppose.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

And getting together to reproduce - difficult.

I could talk on a cell phone from the first day I was born, and still not have difficulty with this haha.

On a serious note, its our instinct to reproduce, and cell phones will 100% not change that.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Having read the replies so far, I stand by my post.

Some of these people do not even realise what is happening.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Having read the replies so far, I stand by my post.

Some of these people do not even realise what is happening.

Or perhaps you need to untighten your tin foil hat and actually get some oxygen to your brain.

Please explain the difference between someone always talking on their cell phone now a days, opposed to someone always talking on their phone 20-30 years ago?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

Sure,

Here is the difference.

People talking on their phone 20 years ago then went out and actually communicated with real people.

I have seen teenagers walking down the street together, all talking on their phones to someone else. Is this mad or is this mad?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

Get some knowledge into your brain before you talk down to people.

Then you may learn not to do so.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I got a mobile phone a missus and 2 kids,i talk to many people face to face each day,my family lives 3.5 hours away,phones a good way to catch up,where do video calls fit into your theory? whether i can see you or not I'm still talking to a person,I think the internet would be a bigger killer of social skills than mobile phones,

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I can't seem to get any knowledge into my head because I can't get off my darn cell phone....

I just think you're being a little dramatic saying that the cellphone is going to be the end of the human race? Like honestly, nukes, wars, aliens...maybe. But the cellphone probably won't even be around in 20 years we'll moved onto something else.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Not only cellphone, what about computers, laptops, tablets, social media. We are getting more and more unpersonalised, carringless, arrogant, unsocial.. This is a trend i see developing in the last 5 to 10 years. Not only are things getting less and less personal. People really forget how to have a normal conversation now a days, most people only want to out do a story by telling something that sounds better wich actually even did not happen, only saying it because it sounds better.. What ever happend to, hello, how are you doing?,, I'm doing fine, and you? yeah me to, beautifull day today isn't it.. Now a days its more like, joo whatup, wanna hang, and maybe kick some asses??... Like an morocan elder said to me yesterday, nobody is pure anymore, we are all polluted with wanting to have and getting more and more even we have nothing about it..

But to correct my own statement a bit, computers and social media also have a good side, like most things. It does in a way connect more people with eachother and that also is what we need right now..
edit on 22/7/2011 by Bauwser because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

The old way of doing things are gone. Writing a letter, writing cursive, verbal communication using internet shorthand, has become the new norm.
We have a typewriter and a dictionary at home. It's for our sons when they do reports. No spell check, grammar check, or shortcuts here.
It's a dumbing down of society.

Remember doing math homework and if caught using a calculator, it was considered cheating? Now, a calculator is required for math homework. Teachers don't want to teach formulae, they just show which function key to use.

Same with communication. There used to be an art to verbal communication. The art of conversation. That too, is becoming lost in the fog of OMG. LOL, TTYL, BFF, ROTFL.

Forgive the rant, but this old guy is cranky and sick and tired of the dumb-down in our society.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Dude, are you on something ? I see people talking to each other in public, people still talk to each other. Can you come out of mummy's basement and get some sunlight ? This forum ain't going nowhere, we'll be here when you get back.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Hi beez and everyone who has supported me,

I have seen this distancing happening for a fact, and I am concerned about it.

But the people who make these things carry on.

All that matters is money in this world, to some people. But this world is the school, so some people will fail.

Good luck in the exams!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bauwser
joo whatup, wanna hang, and maybe kick some asses??...

just choked on my beer reading that!! can't imaging anyone has EVER said such a thing.

that said the "text" thing has always sat wrong with me. sure it has some practical and covert uses, but kids nowadays would not be caught dead talking on thier phone, text only is the way to be seen in public. texting people for idle chit-chat seems soo opposed to progress. we had phones, email, IM, chat, etc, then texting comes and took top spot, where infact it's the most archaic of the bunch.

I always thought humans advancements in non-direct communications has some effect in the brain. from print press to telegraph, radio to television, phone calls to twitter, the brain dosen't require the grey matter anymore to handle physical social cues with regards to social interaction. I personally think we are evolving this out of our species at a increased rate, aka autism spectrum. the defining point of the spectrum is always a lack of social interpretation. what some call a hindrence might infact be the precursor to a new form of communication....telepathy.

I know that sounds silly, but the rates back my theory up, and it's in no way a good thing, we're not ready for it yet. we were all a bunch of dumb and out of line kids at one point, but this generation takes the cake. the mindless and endless goofing on each other and everything around them has left contemplation to wither and die as far as speculative conversing goes. honestly, the more I think about it, the more I agree with this OP.
edit on 22-7-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I am usually very suspicious of hyped products that slowly (or rapidly) take over old ways of doing things, but mobile phones are not one of my concerns.
Any method of communicating with ease and with people perhaps not within face-to-face distance (England to Australia for example!) is evolution in my opinion.
Sure, beacons and carrier pigeons look pretty cool but not entirely practical when you're just letting your other half know you'll be late home for dinner!

I think your concerns are only relevant for the people who wouldn't really bother with seeking truth and enjoying a free life anyway. Some people are happy buying excessive amounts of make-up and only brand named clothes, hyped up products etc and others would rather spend that money on seeing the world and experiencing different cultures or buying books. In other words, some people openly embrace 'the distraction' as you put it and some people don't!

Both these kind of people will use mobiles, internet, social networking sites etc - It depends how you use them. They can be extremely beneficial.
Facebook can be for showing off your boobs at different angles and planning nights out drinking your face off, or for connecting with people and sharing important opinions and debating interesting subject etc etc.

If we didn't have computers, mobiles, social networking sites and other non face-to-face devices, sites like ATS wouldn't exist and we wouldn't all be able to come together for the people's resistance!

edit on 22-7-2011 by Jen86 because: spelling!

edit on 22-7-2011 by Jen86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
In the OP's defense, he/she did say "individuals who grow up talking on cell phones," which probably excludes most of you who are saying you talk to people face to face everyday. I think what was meant was kids who get cell phones at 8 years old, and who literally grow up using them. Maybe it is kind of like computers.

I think I see your point OP, but like someone mentioned above, I don't think that would drive out our species' natural urge to reproduce. But, if it lead to mass social awkwardness, who knows...

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
firs star from me for OP

I think that author of this thread had great idea but did not express himself very well

it's not only cellphones. It's whole electronic development. 20 years ago you would ring someone from home and then go out and see him in person. Nowadays it's 3g, cameras, video conferencing, skype blahblah....

20 years ago you would use pen and dictionary to learn language, now there is auto-correct, online translator blahblah....

People here comment that they have cells and internet but did not dumb down, only they forget that they
did not grow as kids dependant on electronic devices. I really remember learning formulas in math, no calculator only pen and paper. Even now i can solve most problems.

I have 2 nieces. Every problem in homework they have is solvable with Mr. Google. No hard work, no communication between friends in solving problems, no reading books, no independent thinking.... Just ask Mr, Google, he is the smartest and collest guy around.
They are dependant on pc, cells, DS.....

Slowly but safely we are closer to become a Borg. I can see in future we will put electronic implants to be online all the time with our queen computer that knows everything so that we don't have to learn anything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join