It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins-Human healing powers...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In this article, it talks about the healing powers of the dolphin and how it may help humans. How within a few short months they can heal gaping wounds without ever bleeding out or becoming infected. How their tissue regenerates.

Understanding the dolphin's blubber-regenerating abilities could be useful to humans. The techniques these seagoing mammals use to rebuild their tissue could rely on some special type of stem cells or proteins, and it may be something humans could appropriate.

"This is an animal of extreme similarity structurally to us," Zasloff said. "This could be the source of information, the place to find some [answers to the] great mysteries that we as physicians are trying to solve."

The other proteins the dolphins are known to produce during healing, like a pain-relieving or anti-bacterial compound, could also work on humans. Because the dolphins create their own pain-relieving compound, there's a chance it wouldn't be addictive to humans as are many pain relievers on the market today.

I think it's great that science is looking for alternative medicines in nature, I just hope it doesn't mean harvesting dolphins to do it. If they are able to study and duplicate the proteins and other compounds in a lab, then that is fantastic...otherwise it will only lead to dolphin farms, black market killings, and more mass dolphin killings than there already are. In fact - in the article itself it uses the word "appropriate" ...as a verb. Which means "Take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission".
I'm sure some will say "Which is more important... a few dolphins, or thousands of human lives." In my opinion though, it doesn't ever have to be absolute like that. Of course, with the technology we have, it is more likely that science will try to duplicate instead of harvest ... but making claims that dolphins produce natural pain-killers opens all kinds of doors to those that already kill dolphins for various reasons. This will just be one multi-billion dollar reason to continue. Black markets and evil know no bounds.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
New and exciting Stem Cell reports are all always welcome. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for sharing. S&F.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Dolphins are more evolved than us.

join