It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Start a Fire With an Aluminum Can and a Chocolate Bar [Video]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Look you guys are never gonna believe me unless you see it with your owns eyes so...
watch the YouTube vid... once you see it you'll realise it all makes perfect sense...
youtu.be...

for those of you who cant watch videos... here's the same trick done on a website with pictures
Fire Can Chocolate Bar

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Pretty nifty. I imagine toothpaste would be just as good.

I use it to shine my rings.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
He says at one point ,'do not eat the chocolate after it has been in contact with the aluminium can ,it may be toxic'
Hello, i just drank the soda from the can. WTH or is the inside ,the safe side?
edit on 21-7-2011 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Pretty nifty. I imagine toothpaste would be just as good.

I use it to shine my rings.

Ya know
I've used ketchup to shine metal...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Great easy to remember skill. I haven't seen it B4. Filed away in my brain, will test it out on my next camping trip. Also shared it on FB as well, maybe it'll save someone's azz someday

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That was pretty cool,
my 9 yr old son watched it and is going to try it out.

And happy birthday,old fart!

edit on 21-7-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That video doesn't show the most important part: the tinder catching on fire from the focused sun light.

Gee, now I wonder why they wouldn't show that part? Maybe because it's B.S.?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

That video doesn't show the most important part: the tinder catching on fire from the focused sun light. Gee, now I wonder why they wouldn't show that part? Maybe because it's B.S.?

My exact thoughts! LOL You're too fast for me!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Cool video, if itreally works.

I'm thinking back to my younger days when we would take a magnifying glass and start leaves on fire. Probably better chance of working than the tin can trick - plus I would doubt the chocolate would last long enough.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I've tried if before and it does work BUT - you need to polish it for a very long time, have very bright sunlight and perfectly dry tinder that is extremely fine.
If you have no way to make fire I would spend my time making a bow drill.

After watching the video my guess is they didn't actually start a fire this way,
You will notice there is no real concentrated beam of light - absolutely necessary to start a fire this way.
Also the tinder was loosely bunched which allows the light to shine through it instead of concentrating on one part of it where it would allow the heat to start combustion. You will need to keep the tinder tightly pressed together for this method to even have a chance of working. The same goes for using magnifying glasses, camera and binocular lenses, cut ice crystals, water filled condoms, etc.

edit on 21-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Here's a guy who appears to be starting the fire.

Not sure what the kindling is. Cant hear the video.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

You can also make a lens in the winter by freezing water in two can bottoms and joining them together with a few milliliters of water the water must be free of air .

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
How about breaking your camera or binoculars apart and
using those lenses.
If you have sunlight,that is.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Now that a lot of you have seen this let me add a few thoughts...

I view this as kind of a neat little parlor trick...
yes it works with some provisions and quid pro quoes...

You all know you need three tings to make fire... Heat... fuel... and O2

the air we breath is your O2 source... tinder and wood your fuel... now this can trick will provide a heat source...
on a nice hot sunny day like today it works just fine... but on a cold over cast winters day... not so much...

this is one of those things to file away in the back of your mind as useful under ideal conditions... but not one who's reliability is 100%... given the span of 356 days in a year maybe it's usefulness if limited to three or four months out of twelve???
edit on 22-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
That video doesn't show the most important part: the tinder catching on fire from the focused sun light.

Gee, now I wonder why they wouldn't show that part? Maybe because it's B.S.?

This does work. I've seen this work on a TV show called Survivor Man hosted by Les Stroud (I think that's his name)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Neat trick if it works, but what a waste of a good source of energy in a survival situation. Light the fire another way and eat the damned chocolate. Win-win.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
That's sweet.
A simple principal but one that. Never even thought of! Brilliant! Many other things can be used as well.

new topics

top topics

join