It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mugged at the Cash Registar... Staggering UK Price rises

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrankyPantsUK

I really feel for you

The system seems to reward those who do not want to worj or will work when they feel like it.

Ironically your taxes are topping up that persons wages

How wrong is that!

Lol Such a 'daily mail' response... I think you have it the wrong way round!

Maybe, if there were actually decent paying jobs more people would be motivated to work full time as they would be better off working? Another view is that some people (single mothers et al) should be congratulated on being able to survive on benefits?

The point is we have no infrastructure in the UK any more (thanks in part to Thatcher and successive Guberments, privatisation et al); also, we practically import everything (staple food's), which was covered (although not in any detail) by that lame documentary on ITV 1 called "The rising cost of food" that another member mentioned.

What that lame documentary failed to mention was that the greedy supermarkets have practically bankrupted most of the agricultural sector in the UK - hence we import...(that lame documentary implied that supermarkets import because we, the general public, demand low prices? Thats BS - I remember when farmers were protesting over milk prices and the general public saying they would pay the extra to help the farmers out. Also they implied that man made global warming was responsible for the failing crops around the world...yawn...same old MSM propaganda, surprised they didn't show pictures of milly dowler and make some emotive connection.

IMO things will get worse 'by design', I find it a telling sign that Guberment is cutting back on the agents of social control - the Police, army etc... Why? Maybe they want revolution to bring in the NWO, one world guberment etc...
edit on 22-7-2011 by slinkey10 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2011 by slinkey10 because: typo

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by slinkey10

IMO things will get worse 'by design', I find it a telling sign that Guberment is cutting back on the agents of social control - the Police, army etc... Why? Maybe they want revolution to bring in the NWO, one world guberment etc...
edit on 22-7-2011 by slinkey10 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-7-2011 by slinkey10 because: typo

My thoughts exactly, if you doubt this then recent events in Egypt where David Cameron was touring with British Arms Dealers before the mass demonstrations had dispersed. They are tooling up the middle east for a war.

He was like a 2 bit crack dealer hanging around a street corner. Pathetic.

Likewise, they are preparing for martial law here. 20 years of CCTV spend when the threat was non existent. The infrastructure was and now is in place to lock this country down, the middle class is the enemy, not the burea barnacles or criminal underclasses (who the upper class Kleptocrats use to keep us living in fear)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Perpetrator

Deffo! I imagine David Cameroon in his hoodie trying so desperately to be cool

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I for one look forward to further price hikes so that the snobbish-once-middle-class will finally realise that all their precious money is as worthless as their meaningless addictions to fashion, celebrity and, most of all, their pride. Watching the smug who piss their wages up the wall every weekend lose out on their 'entertainment' will be my entertainment... which has been a long time coming. I've been living on an untenable budget for the last couple of years, scraping by week to week, often missing meals, and those lucky enough to have not lost their jobs - yet - have been nothing but condescending about my situation, so I hope the medicine is as bitter as my hatred for this archaic system and those who blindly follow it's leaders.

I know how to survive on next to nothing but when your pride is at stake will you give up shopping at the major chains? I doubt it. And you'll go hungry as a result. Well tough. Lose your pride or lose your dinner - but don't try to fight me for the last loaf of bread where I shop either, you'll lose more than your dinner. I've fought to survive for me and my kids for a long time and when there's more of you eying up a piece of my budget pie you'll regret being so smug the last few years and belittling my way of life when you find out that it really is dog eat dog and for those of us who've been forgotten by the majority learned the hard way, as you will soon have to.

Welcome to my world folks. Don't tread on me, I bite.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If you can go traveling. Its much cheaper than living in the UK. I sold up two years ago and have just looked around the world before I get too old. I am lucky in that I have no family responsibilities. I read all the time about how fuel and utility prices go up and the government does NOTHING. The government should set the price of fuel and utilities as "price competition" does not exist. These costs are in effect taxes. Part of the latest rises in electricity and gas are to pay for subsidising green alternatives such as solar power panels for wealthier home owners. The country is being stitched up big time by the "big six" utility companies and the government doesn't care.

I think the main reason things are so much more expensive in the UK and a lot of western Europe is because of the price of property. Expensive land and building prices mean expensive rents and costs to run businesses. As most people own there own property the government runs the economy in the interests of them. This means in the UK low interest rates so low mortgage costs. Interest rates need to rise to combat inflation but the government wont increase interest rates (or rather allow the BoE to raise them) because the people that bought houses at ridiculously high prices would not be able to pay back their loans and default on their mortgages.

We need a government that will address these problems and manage the economy for the poorer people not manage it for the relatively well off even if they are the majority. We need a government that can show some light at the end of the tunnel. Cameron is a waste of space. So is Miliband. Clegg who knows. HELP

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
after consulting the other half, she has given me some
price differences in shopping as of 4 years ago to present.
they are all the same brands and volumes over this time
period to the best of her knowledge give or take a few
pennies.

orange juice £1.50 to £3.78 in 4 years. january this year
it was £2.98.

potatoes 0.99p to £1.89 in 4 years.

sugar 0.49p to 0.89p.

cereal. flakes of corn! £1.12 to £3.50.

butter(ish) 0.70p to £1.50.

eggs £1.49 now £2.99.

toilet roll £2.00 now around £4.00.

shower gel 0.99p now £2.89.

cordial 0.69p to £1.99.

washing-up powder/gel-type £1.49 to £4.00.

in the last 6 months increases as follows-

bread from 0.79p to £1.49.

milk 30p extra.

wine bottle of £5.38 to £7.89.

pack of 4 sponge wipes 60p increase.

most magazines increased 30p since january.

f

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

You might want to listen to this podcast www.mindsetcentral.com... they talk abt the price differences of food shopping between the uk and us.

To be honest I think its essentially abt greed & capitalism/globalisation/privatisation. The market shifted to the free market under the Thatcher Government et al. Everything was sold off during the 80's. Competition was introduced between providers gas electricity etc which was supposed to offer the end user a high quality cheaper service....lol... Look at the transport system! I don't know abt u, I live in London and the train network is an overpriced joke with increases in price every year - without fail.

This is what happens in a capitalist society - everything is about self interest and domination by the rich few and private companies over the poor masses.(do some research on who sits on the board of directors of most of the big private companies - Politicians or x politicians.

The member Pr0t0 suggested that the downfall of the middle classes would provide some amusement! I see it a different way, increasing food prices, utilities, education, taxes etc will inevitably destroy the middle classes - which IMO will hopefully spark some kind of revolution. We need the middle classes for this to happen.

IMO the increasing food prices are the tip of the iceberg of the wider problem in societies - the global system which is based on greed, corruption, nepotism etc etc cant sustain itself much longer and is due for a crash.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by slinkey10

thanks for the link.
2nd line
f

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Sinny

Most jobs are just offering minimun wage, and your lucky to get 35 hours out of them. Plus as im under 21 my minimun wage is under £

Think yourself lucky - I'm self employed. And whilst it means I can work 45 hours a week, I earn less that £3 an hour .....

As for prices rises: if petrol increases, everything else increases.

But the real measure of austerity will be mobile phones, ipads and the like: nearly everyone has one and almost nobody needs to use them. When sales plummet to near zero and no texts are sent or ring tones downloaded for a whole week, then we'll know that people really are starting to feel the pinch!

As it stands, we all extremely rich compared with almost every person who has every lived. We just don't appreciate it

We're not extremely rich, we're extremely materialistic - There's a monster difference.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join