It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memphis board delays school year's start indefinitely... no money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This is just the beginning... and it's probably happening in a lot of cities.

Memphis board delays school year's start indefinitely in demand for city funds

Classes for Memphis City Schools will not start this fall until the City Council deposits $55 million -- the amount the city has budgeted for schools from tax revenue -- in the district's account, school board members decided Tuesday night.

The board voted 8-1 to delay the start of the school year indefinitely, putting the system in the limelight as the district attempts to force city leaders to make good on funding promises.

"We've been patient; we've cut 1,500 jobs," said board member Tomeka Hart. "We're not going for everything. We're not saying give us everything you owe. We are just saying we have to have the money in the bank from our city so we can pay our bills.

City Council president Myron Lowery said several of the funding issues are tied up in court and therefore not negotiable right now.

"The council supplies less than 10 percent of almost a billion-dollar school budget," Lowery said. "They have voted to delay for having less than 10 percent in hand. That is ridiculous."

The district says the city has shorted it $151 million over four years, including $78.4 million for the 2011-12 school year.

The city has not approved the district’s budget, required by state law. The district is to submit its budget to the state by Aug. 1. School had been scheduled to start Aug. 8.

Let me tell you a lot of people in Memphis are pissed. Especially parents... because what will they do with their kids if they don't go to school? They'll have to pay babysitters... and that's more $$$.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Since the money was created out of thin air in the beginning....that essentially means that the debt is nothing.

Tell Memphis to read the 'secrets of the federal reserve'

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ive lived in Memphis in the past.. even yrs ago there is a HUGE jobless and entitlement crowd there to begin with. Add to it now that we have previous working class folks unable to get a job and added to the rolls of entitlement receivers.. there is no money. No revenue. The feds have no money to give because they are spending like drunken sailors and the state has no money for pretty much the same reason. Doesnt matter if they cut a measly 1500 or even 15000... they are spending too much on all of this nonsense they see as essential. They would rather pay their folks incredibly ridiculous rates to keep their buddies "upper class" and make sure they stay upper class in retirement than provide a decent education for the kids. Spend spend spend.. other peoples money.

We are having the exact same problem in my area.. as in we are losing police officers and fire protection if we dont make more money because we spend like idiots. Right now we have a wheel tax is our 3rd tax for road maintenance which is illegal and they wont respond to thefts anymore.. the cops. They have a form you fill out rather than make a report with an officer. Next on the block is education. Ahhhh the NEW American Dream..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Sounds to me like they have a serious management issue in Memphis. It's not like homeowners abruptly stopped paying their property taxes. The money is coming in, but going somewhere else instead of where it was intended. I think the City Council, Mayor, and anyone else in the loop should be heading straight to prison for this. You watch though, they'll twist it around and try and make it a "we just aren't collecting as much tax" issue, and they'll want to raise taxes even more.

This is a prime example of how the system is broken. Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that are complete wastes of space go into politics and rob us blind! Someone's head needs to be on a steak outside the town hall. I wonder if the Council and Mayor have gotten raises in the last 12 months?

I think it's high time to truly reform this system! This should be done both at the federal and local level.

1) Every penny needs to be accounted for.
2) No public school access to illegal immigrants or their kids.
3) End and and ALL lobbying (this includes the NRA, of which I'm a member).
4) Any politician caught taking money or favors from lobbyists is immediately impeached, and jailed for 10 years.
5) No public unions. Private unions are fine.
6) If public unions are allowed, then public employees should not get anything outside what private sector employees receive in the form of benefits (ie. health care, retirement, etc.)
7) If an "entity" cannot work within its budget, the lead officers are immediately fired and replaced.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Memphisians can read?

two

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I live in Nashville, TN and they are talking about extending the school summer vacation here. There reason being is to give the kids here a longer vacation which they believe the kids need and also to save money. Last year they argued that the school board needed to shorten the summer vacation and only give them 2 weeks during the summer and 2 weeks during the winter break. I think they are just trying to make the kids more stupid so they can put them in warehouse jobs. Isn't that what Obama was saying just the other day? How he likes the idea of more warehouse jobs?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

August 8th? What a dumb time to start school .. what ever happened to VACATION? Being a kid? That week in August I was usually on a beach somewhere with my family, and school didn't start till the first week of September.

Anyways..

en.wikipedia.org...

Memphis has about 103,000 students enrolled in it's schools. The city it's self is 22% bellow the poverty line, and the median per capita income is $17k a year. WHY does it take nearly a billion dollars to run a school district in such a poor location? memphis spends nearly $10,000 per student per year. In other words, it takes 58% of the per capita income to educate one child in Memphis.

Sounds to me like a corrupt and moronic schoolboard doesn't know how to run it's own facilities. I won't even get into the abysmal grades.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I live in Memphis, and the Memphis city council recently found the money to give themselves free catered lunches for the next year. That should be the first cost saving measure they change!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Why don't they try accepting money for higher grades? One US school did that a few years ago.

top topics

join