It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poutine Canada's tastiest export!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8de112cda2f3.jpg[/atsimg]

The first poutines were invented in Quebec, and there are many, unconfirmed claims to have invented the poutine which date from the late 50s through the 1970s in the Victoriaville area, about 1 hour out of Montreal.Yum

Adding sauce to the cheese, curds/fries mixture was a later innovation. The owner of restaurant Roy le Jucep (1050 boul. St. Joseph, Drummondville Quebec; ), Jean-Paul Roy, also claims the title of "The Inventor of Poutine", dating his claim in 1964. Jucep's claim stems from having made a potato sauce, which he was slathering on fries sold in his restaurant. He also sold bags of cheddar cheese curds - which are sold widely in the region, bought as a handy, portable snack - which he noticed customers were adding to his fries and sauce. Soon after, he made the combination a regular menu item.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4914bcf44f74.jpg[/atsimg]

By the late 1970s, poutine had made its way to New York and New Jersey, where it is often sold as an "off menu" item in a modified form -- 'disco fries'. This concoction is french fries, a beef gravy, and shredded, usually cheddar, cheese. The cheese melts completely, mixes in with the gravy, and the dish is a mess, and a delicious one enjoyed by late-night partiers of the disco crowds in the days before low-fat, Atkins and smart drinks.

The cheese used in a classic poutine is not simply a cheddar cheddar, but cheddar cheese curds, which come in finger-tipped sized hunks, with a briny taste, not unlike that you'll find in cottage cheese.

Like burritos, poutines are found with a wide range of styles, both in high-end and low-end restaurants, as well as at home. Quebec natives can be heard to exclaim "That's not poutine!" in response to the many variants which have popped up. But, as with any cuisine too good (and too easy) to keep a lid on, poutine has found many different expressions.

Within Montreal, one can find "Poutine Italianne", using a marianara sauce. Occaisionally, one comes across a poutine in which an actual gravy (using a roux from flour and drippings, combined with milk or cream) is unapologetically used instead of the classic sauce. At-home chefs regularly whip up a poutine with bottled BBQ sauce for a quick bite for the kids (or themselves).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a45a7d0eb9d.jpg[/atsimg]

-Poutine-Related Frequently Asked Questions

I hear that fresh chedder cheese curds squeek when you eat them. Why is that? The fresh curds, eaten plain, right out of the bag on the day it was packed, will indeed squeek when you chomp on them. The reason is that fresh curds are extremely high humidity: 47% is a usual amount. When you bite through them, they rub against your teeth and squeek while they do so. If you aren't sure that you've heard the squeeking, then you haven't -- it is too loud to be uncertain. Only the freshest curds -- made that day -- produce the squeek.

-Random Poutine Trivia

In 2000, then U.S. Presidential candidate George W. Bush was asked by a "reporter" how he responds to an endorsement from Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine". Bush replied, "I appreciate his strong statment. He understands I believe in free trade. He understands I want to make sure our relations with our most important neighbor to the north of us, the Canadians, is strong and we'll work closely together." Of course, the prime minister at the time was Jean Chretien, and the "reporter" was Rick Mercer from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation comedy TV show, "This Hour Has 22 Minutes".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d08c9a7aa054.jpg[/atsimg]

Enjoy the poutine!(yum)

Spike Spiegle

ps:super easy to make at home fries,cheese curds(tho any kind works) and gravy!
edit on 103131p://am3142 by Spike Spiegle because: changed a K for a C..sigh

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
omg poutine and birch beer. foodgasm.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
foodgasm.

INDEED.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
At Lussier in St-Hyacinthe they put ognions, bacon, beef, peppers, mushrooms and sausage
it's disgusting how good it is

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
is that KFC gravy?

edit on 23-7-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Poutine lover here !!

Got to have it once a week. Or I go into a craving mode lol...

There's that little place near where I live that makes the best italian poutine with this rich spaghetti sauce that's just wow...

Recently, a new trend is picking up...The Poutine Glacée...

Ice cream, chocolate waffle sticks, marshmallow caramel nuggets and butterscotch sauce...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9eba366d5260.jpg[/atsimg]

I haven't tried it yet but geeez that looks good !!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I have been told that when I go to Canada I have to have this. Im in Florida and we don't have this but it looks so darn good!

I am going to have to try this sometime too.

Thanks for making me hungry at 7am!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

HA ! Once you have one, you're done. Very addictive...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You need to make your own, homemade gravy and cheese over fries. It's wonderful.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SusyQ30

Homemade gravy ??

When I do it at home, I use prepared gravy. You wouldn't happen to want to share that recipe now would you ???

Please ?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
*Swiftly backs away from thread in search of a sick bag*

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
talking poutine here! i think that i kno quite a bit, being made almost 2300 during the last ski season! ha-ha! true story!

poutine is the best when made right, KFC almost has it depending on their gravy they have, some ppl like the BBQ style with soft crinkle cut fries cheese curds always cheese curds no sub!

personally i like the extra crispy coated fries, a heavy beef gravy with smoked paprika and pepper! always have ketchup by the side for dipping and drenching!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
My pappy is from Laval. We always used to make it deli style with shaved bits of Montreal smoked meat in with the gravy. No real huge must-dos other than to use cheese curds, homemade gravy and fries that a a bit crispier than you would normally have. This keeps them from getting too soggy.

Probably the best drunk food ever.

new topics

top topics

join