It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Harry Potter Movie...what did you think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I thought it was a pretty nice wrap up to the series.

I mean, those of us who read the books knew how it would go, but still, it's been a while since I read them, and it was nice to see it play out on screen.

We went opening night (Thur at midnight), and it was crazy, all sold out, even added shows. We got our tickets way before though. Lots of folks in costumes (and we were in our full robes, geeks we are). We have a friend who is large, and tall, and he always does a convincing Hagrid. We even showed up on the news, along with other fans.

The next day, we went to Universal/Islands of Adventure in Orlando, where the Harry Potter theme park addition is. That was fun (but pretty hot in the robes, hehe..), and then saw the movie again that night (this time, the 3d showing). Whether you see it in 3d or not, not a big difference, so there's that advice.

The resort hotel we were at also had a Harry Potter convention going on (Leaky Con). We found out about it after they had sold out anyhow, but still got to go and mingle with them too.

Still though, we had a good time, and all. If you liked the previous films, you'll certainly want to catch this one. It's nice when people actually clap at films these days. You don't hear that too often.

cj6

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I thought it was really good but Voldemorts death was kinda like "thats it?..." His death should have been more epic and dramatic. Also the relationship between Harry and Ginni still seems lackluster, its like they barely acknowledge the two as a couple. Even the lame kiss they shared seemed quick and forced. Overall i give it 9/10 but as far as finales go it definitely couldve been more epic.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cj6

Good points. There was definitely a cheer when Ron and Hermoine lip-locked in the Chamber of Secrets room...would have been nice for Harry and Ginny to have a similar moment.

A lot of the important deaths were kind of glossed over and rushed also...would have been nice to see them actually happen, vs. the aftermath.

I did love the ending though (19 years later)...it's pretty much exactly how I pictured it when reading it.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I've never been a huge fan of the series, but I think the final film was probably the best of the bunch. I went to the opening night as well with my wife and mother. They loved the movie.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Best in the series by far although I was disappointed they didn't at least have Aberforth Dumbledore mention in a throwaway line why he and his brother fell out when they were younger and what happened to their sister even if they didn't have the time or pacing to fit the whole of that part in the movie.

Just would've been nice since you never saw Aberforth before other than a glimpse in a shard of mirror in the previous part and it never really explains much there about his relationship with Albus, nor does it mention Neville becoming a teacher at Hogwarts.

Otherwise, great movie and I didn't actually cringe at the acting from the leads for once.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I am the large and convincing Hagrid Gazrok mentioned in his post.
That beard and long fake hair is scratchy and @ss hot in a full trench coat in the middle of summer in FL.
That being said, a kid aged 4-7 typically sees me as The Hagrid & cannot tell a difference between me and Robbie Coltrane. I always get tons of requests for pics when I dress as Hagrid for the movie or Universal/ Harry Potter.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
i loved the whole franchise...untill the ending...i mean we watched this kid grow up for howmany years? then he finaly kills voldemort then all he does is snap the elder wand then in the next scene he is in his 30's i mean what the #? a little back story or just showing him graduate from hogwarts would be nice not just lead you through his entire life to endup at at THAT ending it was complete BS

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Personally, I loved it but I am a Harry Potter fan. My children and I have all read the books and have been known on may occasions to have a harry potter marathon. My favorite part is when Prof Snape gave Harry his tears/memories. A very powerful moment

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Pretty sure it stuck to the book there.
You can't blame the movie.
Basically no-ne should have that kind of power and Harry knew it, so he destroyed the wand, saved the day and came back from the dead.
What is wrong with that????

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Pretty sure it stuck to the book there.
Basically no-ne should have that kind of power and Harry knew it, so he destroyed the wand, saved the day and came back from the dead.
What is wrong with that????
What happend to the wand didnt bug me at all its the ending were he is suddely grown up with his own kids instead of some back story like if he ever had to fight a evil lord or what happend to his friends along the way all that kind of stuff its like watching your son grow to his teens then hes suddenly 30 and you know nothing about him

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Even though I knew he wouldn't do it, when Voldemort asks Draco to go to him, I was wishing he would stay put! That he would decide to stand by the good guys and fight.

Also, Neville certainly grew up to be a very brave young man

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Again thats what is in the book.

There doesn't need to be any back story because the threat has been vanquished and they did live happily ever after.

If you don't like it thats J.K. Rowlings fault.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I had read the books, but it was nice to see it onscreen as well. The ending was exactly as I pictured it. Great end to it, just sad that it was the end.

I'd love to see this series continue, maybe with their kids...but up to JK of course.

I recently went to the theme park in Orlando, and it is incredible. Not a lot there, but what is there, is pretty amazing. Just seeing Hogwarts in the flesh is something not to be missed. Would be neater if they re-did it somewhere that had snow though, as it is hard for me to feel like I'm in a snowy village when it is 80 degrees out.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RigZoomAlaska

See I would like it too continue, but the best way I can see it going is to make it about Sirius Black and his childhood adventures, that way Voldemort still exists and is still a threat.

Sirius Black just has that adventurer thing about him.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RigZoomAlaska

There's an unofficial series, called the James Potter series:

First, these stories are not about the Marauders. They are about James Sirius Potter, Harry's firstborn son. They include such next generation characters as Scorpius Malfoy, Rose Weasley, Albus and Lily Potter, etc.

Second, while these stories are not written by J. K. Rowling (obviously) they, and other such stories, have been sanctioned by her, so long as they are respectful and appropriate for children.

There are three books:

(James Potter and...)
-The Hall of Elders' Crossing.
-The Curse of the Gatekeeper.
-The Vault of Destinies.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Excellent. Good Special Effects.

new topics

top topics

join