It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO tidal wave to hit U.S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
GMO tidal wave to hit U.S. Do we need yet another GMO product. Is having the perfect lawn that important that we risk an uncontrollable spread of GMO's. Do you want you're childern playing on a GMO lawn. Yet another product we don't really need about to hit the market. Maybe it already has.When this product hits the market there will be no place to hide from it in you're environment . The seed will reproduce and spread like a weed able to resist herbicides. It would be difficult to remove from you're environment once established.

When is all this insanity going to stop? Will it be possible to get away from GMO'S in the future. What will be the consequences of releasing this into the environment be. Tell you're neighbors about GMO grass seed and why its a dangerous product. There will be people out there who won't care because the perfect lawn is more important to them than the environment.Some people look at their lawn as a status symbol in the neighborhood, having the perfect lawn is so important to some why? Why has having weeds on you're lawn become such bad thing that we need a genetically engendered product to have a perfect lawn?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
What will this do to the incests in our environment the bees, ants worms etc... We are fooling around with things that have been perfected by nature since time on earth began. why do we think we can perfect nature?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Since Monsantos has had so much resistance to its GMO food products this is there next move total contamination of the environment. What will happen to animals that eat it like dogs and cats?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Will people resist this as much as the GMO food products? Will this product produce a super weed?
I find all of this very troubling and disturbing. We finally got the word out that weed killer is bad for the environment and it is becoming banned across the country and we may be on the verge of learning another lesson the hard way. Except this may be a product that we can't just stop using as it will spread uncontrollably in the environment.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It won't stop.. It doesn't make sense...why is everything natural being destroyed...

God created our world and everything in it -mankind, plants, animals etc

Who do you know, or have heard of , who may wish to destroy this? Or, who may wish to be seen as creating life but cannot create natural life?

"The simplest and easiest way to hide the reality of Satan is to destroy the belief in God"

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Why do we think we can perfect perfection is it in mans nature to think this way?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
And what is so bad about genetic products? If we screw something up we can find a way to fix it...but these first baby steps are important for humanity to survive in the future. Sadly in our society, rather than controlled testing, we need to rush things to market for that extra edge of profit... but eventually the technology will be perfected - a green mars would be possible some day. We need GMO products...just how soon they are rushed to us as "final" products is the issue I think.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This grass may not be capable of producing viable seed as indeed many GMO plants cannot.
i'm no fan of GMO's , I think all research should be purely theoretical in this realm.
The track record of these companies is such that I would not trust them either.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by WhoKnows100

Why do we think we can perfect perfection is it in mans nature to think this way?

If the universe is perfect, which you seem to believe, as do I, then that would mean that what humanity is doing is perfect also. It's just the way it is. Things do change though, so I don't think it always has to be this way.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe
And what is so bad about genetic products? If we screw something up we can find a way to fix it...but these first baby steps are important for humanity to survive in the future. Sadly in our society, rather than controlled testing, we need to rush things to market for that extra edge of profit... but eventually the technology will be perfected - a green mars would be possible some day. We need GMO products...just how soon they are rushed to us as "final" products is the issue I think.

Could you do me a favor and elaborate why we need Genetically modified anything. Why do you think we need genetically modified food when the food we already grow has done just fine. GMO corn replaced most diverse variety's of corn and is wiping out corn that took thousands of years to breed to perfection. I honestly dont think we need this genetic pollution to destroy a perfectly balanced ecosystem.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

The technology is needed. I did not say it is needed to replace our current system. I feel that they are wrongfully using our current ecosystem and markets to test experimental crops that should be kept in lab only environments for now.

Why need it? Lets say you go to Mars. Corn modified to grow on Mars would be pretty darn useful. You don't just magic up some martian-corn...takes time and money to research.

Don't have the money? Then get some by selling prototypes to the public! That is wrong yes, but it is what I see happening...

Given enough time, we could perfect GMO crops to not have any issues...but CEOs get impatient.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Foxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
you guys just need to learn to eat like us red skins

store bought food is so very unhealthy for you...
but if you have a little know how, you don't need store bought food and it's easier than you think...

In the spring dig the cattail shoots or into late spring or summer pick the green new stems, wash and set aside, Green cattails can also be cooked just like corn and served with lots of hot butter

next you catch and fillet several trout or bass,

lay them in a skillet, cover with the cattails then add a couple cups of water and cover,

steam 5-10 mins, depending on the mass of the contents, salt and sprinkle with crushed red peppers and serve.

Can vary it by replacing the water with oil and frying.

See not a single GMO ingredient and tasty too

edit on 21-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

Why not just use selective breeding instead? Plant thousands of plants find the best of the best and breed those seeds for the characteristics you need for the application. We have been doing this for thousands of years.

I think if fish genes were meant to be in plants nature would have done it by now. If they need to grow plants in a harsh environment then breed them for what is needed. Once we start fooling around with this stuff there may be no turning back no way to put it back to normal. Unstoppable genetic pollution.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yes I've eaten cattails they taste like asparagus. I go out to the woods often and learn about what is edible. cattails are very useful for making flour.
But what is going to happen to all of what you enjoy now becomes contaminated with genetic pollen. Or the insects that use that pollen and what it will do to them. If we harm the pollinating insects we will be in a lot of trouble. Its a fact that there is already a big problem . GMO crops blowing into neighboring farms and contaminating there crops its already happening.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is a very good documentary.You're going to want to watch this!!

This video is about a farmer who had his land contaminated with GM crops and the battle he had with Monsanto. Monsanto seeds when they contaminate you're land those plants belong to Monsanto the farmer was sued by Monsanto for his crops.
edit on 21-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

doesn't really matter this year... that GMO crap died out faster then the heritage verities...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
but your know... the cat tails are doing just fine... although it's a little late in the season for them...

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Certain things simply are not possible with selective breeding...

Sorry to disagree with you there, but there is no sacred or holy pure living gene strain. Its all up for grabs. If its possible to modify then its okay to modify- as long as the final product is acceptably safe.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

Currently I don't think manunkind is smart enough to be fooling around with this stuff. Maybe when we understand how our own brains work or when we can learn how not to kill each other to line someones wallet. Today manunkind has not demonstrated enough maturity to be messing around in these things.

Watch that documentary I posted above when you have the time you need to understand the implications of someone owning a patent on a seed.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

Well, for one, because I don't want to have to pay royalties because someone "owns" the genetic makeup of the grass on my lawn.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by Foxe

Well, for one, because I don't want to have to pay royalties because someone "owns" the genetic makeup of the grass on my lawn.

Monsanto's probably thinks well if they aren't going to eat it they might as well walk on it.
Excuse me sir but does that grass belong to Monsanto's??

new topics

top topics

join