It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal Astroturf.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It never dawned on me until I seen the pattern long enough to realize that a lot of private blogs and websites are following the same general pattern.

There is the core group of sites that constantly push the message 24/7. But there is an outer ring of blogs and websites that seem to be seldom used, or talk about miscellaneous things until key times when all of the periphery makes post to reinforce what the core group is saying.

The key identifier of them is their moderation of comments. Remember, if decent is evident, then it takes the punch out of the message. So, a detracting view is never allowed to surface.

You see it on sites that push environmental issues, gun control, and anti nuclear stuff. I have seen it on websites targeting every country in the world. It isn’t just a US political thing.

If you notice, they usually always have heavily restricted comments.
Basically the comments section ether…….
Doesn’t exist,
Is, VIP access only.
Heavily pre moderated… Or
Heavily post moderated.

Usually they will pick the last two options because they want to appear “open” when they are not.

If you make a post that points out errors in their data, or problems with their logic, then expect it to be deleted and an instant ban for you.

Such heavy handed moderation could be expected from a blogger that has been subjected to a lot of attacks, but when you see such heavy handed actions from a person that has just set up his site and posted the first post, then something is definitely wrong. Keeping a constant lockdown on a site 24/7 is not enjoyable and does not exactly classify as after work entertainment.

Like one blog I ran across. They posted an article where he was talking about how guns were responsible for the terrible murder rates and suicide rates in the US. And that other countries with gun control didn’t have that problem. I ask them one question. “If easy access to guns cause people to commit suicide, then why does japan have twice the suicide rate of the US?”

When I returned an hour later, my comment was deleted, and I was permanently banned. So, I did the thing necessary to get around that ban. I ask them why my question was so offensive? Deletion and permanent ban again. I then posted under the name “You know who it is!” And stated. “You evidently have as much disdain for the first amendment as you do the second.” Then they disabled the comments section.

If it was a real life blogger, then thy would have replied to the comment with their explanation as to why the situation existed. But to instantly delete and ban anyone that even questions what they say isn’t normal. It indicates that they are just maintaining the blog to present an ideal image to the web surfers that happen to visit their site.

To go to the point of disabling the comments section to prevent even a mildly opposing view from being heard, just exemplifies that fact.

And what irritates me the most is……… When they use Astroturf blogs to accuse the opposition of being nothing but Astroturf.

Things like saying…… “All the commenters were just fake people. They didn’t post the exact same things, but all of them posted the same general theme about how congress didn’t have a right to legislate such and such.” Well………. If the congress didn’t have a right legislate such things, then there is probably a good reason why they were saying such things along that line!

The known Astroturf blogs have been heavily pushing the mem that the tea party is just an Astroturf group.

I could go on and on with things I have seen over the last decade from websites from many different countries ……. But I digress ……….

The general rule is……. When you see the liberals insinuate that their opposition is doing something, it is a good indication that they are the one guilty of it.

I can post links to examples, but it is obvious enough as to where to look, that I am not going to waste the time.

edit on 20-7-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Why do I think you were on LGF? I have seen that tactic numerous times there. The unfortunate thing with conservative blogs is that they let it all hang out. Profanities and all. That can be and is used against them.

That is why I like ATS, it makes me think before I type. No vulgarities.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Good thread.

The progressive agenda isn't about freedom or consent. It is about pushing an agenda. They have a schedule, a process. Individual liberties are the antithesis of the progressive agenda.
Read about Cloward-Piven.
If they were honest about their agenda, they'd let all people speak. But then again, honesty and progressives go together much like Paris Hilton and MENSA.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It really takes the combined efforts of the two-party system to make the US what it is. One, it takes the "libruls" to pass some very restrictive laws that are much derided by their politically foes. Next it takes the "conservatalitarians" to make sure those same laws are followed to the letter, one party to draw an arbitrary line and the other to post officials along every step to watch for any half-inch foot fouls.

There is some crazy fascination in America for everyone to be extra vigilant that everybody else obeys "The Rule of Law" to its black and white letter without exception.

edit on 21-7-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Why do I think you were on LGF? I have seen that tactic numerous times there.

I haven’t ever posted there, but I have read plenty of his stuff.

He was a liberal blog. When 9/11 hit, he had a rebirth so to speak. He was very pro war and gun ho, but after a while, his self centered progressive started to show through again. Along with his distaste for anyone that didn’t toe the line.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Your Japan question was irrelevant trolling. I mean, _obviously_ so. It's a logical non-sequitor. (Sounds like their argument wasn't stellar either). Japan has a cultural tradition of suicide being an accepted and even expected response to some kinds of social failures. It's been that way for centuries. If this was your first posting then yes, banning sounds extreme, but we'd need to see what kinds of T&C apply. If you had a history there of posting such comments, then it makes perfect sense for them to ban you.

And your logic is just wrong. A private blog is much more likely to boot you off than a large, public affinity site or media outlet, in exactly the same way that a bad actor is much more likely to be ejected from someone's home than from a public space. Your experiences have no relevance to the question of astroturfing.

Oh and it's "dissent", not "decent". Jesus christ.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Stunspot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stunspot
Japan has a cultural tradition of suicide being an accepted and even expected response to some kinds of social failures. It's been that way for centuries.

Good job!, you get a star!
That is correct and that was the exact response I was looking for from him. Society/culture and it’s internal problems is the primary driving force.

Your own statement exemplified why Japan was extremely relevant to the discussion. It exemplified the main reason it was relevant!

Society/culture is the driving force behind the crime and suicide statistics of any country. The availability of weapons has nothing to do with it. Where there is a will there is a way. It is not the tools, it is the people doing the crime!

top topics

join