It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tarot Card's & the Tree of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I have recently started working with Tarot cards. My sister bought me my first deck a few weeks ago; The Hermetic Tarot published by U.S Games Inc.
My personal opinion on them is that they are perfectly adequate. All the traditional symbolism is there, and they have a visual style that I like too.
Whilst I realize I'm still getting to know my cards, one aspect of them (well, one more than most others), Is causing me some confusion. Namely the symbolism and numerical attributes pertaining to the 'Tree of life'.
So ATS, what I am humbly requesting here is all you know regarding the tree of life. Some of you might be interested in knowing that this post has been spurred on by incessant synchronicity, and by posting this and learning what you guys have to offer, I hope to move on, as it were. Thank you in advance.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The tree of life is guarded by the flaming sword. This is unbelief in God or bias against others in pride. The Tarot deck is from Hebrew Kabbalah and the tree of life is represented by the ten spheres or energy centres, called Sephiroth (numbers):

1. Kether - the eternal, the spiritual perfection
2. Chokmah - Power of creation, energy, wisdom
3. Binah - Understanding, realization
4. Chesed - Condensation, the power of growth and stability
5. Geburah - Movement and changing, the power of destruction
6. Tiphareth - Consciousness and harmony, the balance of the middle, beauty
7. Netzach - Creativity and anarchy, sensitivity
8. Hod - intellect and logic, structure (Mercur)
9. Yesod - Reflection and imagination (moon and water)
10. Malkuth - the root, the origin, the subconscious

This type of mysticism is reserved and tied. This means keep away if you are not the Elect priest of God's chosen people. This represents extreme esoteric knowledge. The church represents extreme exoteric dogma and practice. Jesus came to fulfill the demands of God to bring us to His throne of Grace. He said this:

Matt 7
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Kabbalah is approaching God from works. The Catholic Church is abused dogma and ritual. Jesus (reformation churches) is the narrow path between, offering the way, truth and life.

Originally posted by HanoverFat
I have recently started working with Tarot cards. My sister bought me my first deck a few weeks ago; The Hermetic Tarot published by U.S Games Inc.
My personal opinion on them is that they are perfectly adequate. All the traditional symbolism is there, and they have a visual style that I like too.
Whilst I realize I'm still getting to know my cards, one aspect of them (well, one more than most others), Is causing me some confusion. Namely the symbolism and numerical attributes pertaining to the 'Tree of life'.
So ATS, what I am humbly requesting here is all you know regarding the tree of life. Some of you might be interested in knowing that this post has been spurred on by incessant synchronicity, and by posting this and learning what you guys have to offer, I hope to move on, as it were. Thank you in advance.

edit on 20-7-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thank you for the reply. You seem to understand a lot about the tree of life. Can you explain about the 22 different Paths? Do you have any opinion as to why I am drawn to it at present?

Also, could you further elaborate on the meaning of this:

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

This type of mysticism is reserved and tied. This means keep away if you are not the Elect priest of God's chosen people.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HanoverFat

Another way to view this is to review history: LINK to a thread I did on the subject. Moses received the unwritten law and passed it from mouth to ear according to the history of the Kabbalah. It was the origin of Solomon's magic, communicating with the dead and angels. This was not the intended purpose. It was to bring the holiest member of the Hebrew Priestly order before the throne in the Temple of Solomon. Holy is the key word. We have access, but not by our works. Jesus is the priest we gain our access through by loving God and others. Prayer is all you need. The Tarot is counterfeit unholy magic. You get fallen beings instead of God. When you are marked by the Holy Spirit, you are cleared of corruption and protected in the arms of Christ.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

When taken as a psychological tool to explore and understand one's own psyche, the Tarot and Tree of Life are excellent tools, and can lead to great personal power. When one delves into the religious aspects that these traditions arise from though, they often begin to sound like "superiored" there.
I'd advise that you pick up Israel Regardie's "The Golden Dawn" if you would like to obtain a better understanding of the subjects without the hypocritical idiocies spouted by religious nuts.
Edit to add: Read the bible a bit, and see if you actually like the personality of the "God" it depicts. Perhaps the "fallen" beings that were referred to might be preferable if they are rebellious against something so petty and cruel.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
We are all guided by a spirit. 1 Corinthians is where you learn this. The spirits of the world steal, kill and destroy. The Holy Spirit guides through the world to salvation. If you are opening yourself up to Evil, it will appear as an angel of light.

Synchronicity leads you to either shore. The way you interpret the leading will be by your heart. For instance, we are here talking. There are no accidents in life. Your choice reflects both sides in the background testing you. Look at the life of Job. God allowed (important point) Satan to destroy Jobs family. This tested Job before God. Job followed God to the end.

Truth is written on our hearts, but the mind must be tamed by the intellect. LINK See my other articles as well. Follow what you already know to be true. Deny your emotions and especially your desires. Life is a reflection of choices. Make the best choices possible for others first, then yourself. Altruism, not objectivism. Link

God is all about love for others. He considers you the same way. He expects the same from us equally. The world is opposite on this topic (objectivism), with the emphasis on what's in it for me (self-love and pleasure).

reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thank you for the reply. You seem to understand a lot about the tree of life. Can you explain about the 22 different Paths? Do you have any opinion as to why I am drawn to it at present?

Also, could you further elaborate on the meaning of this:

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

This type of mysticism is reserved and tied. This means keep away if you are not the Elect priest of God's chosen people.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Know them by their fruit: The Golden Dawn is Theosophy (Satanism) and the same occult as all secret societies follow. They worship the divine fallen beings of Genesis ch. 6. I have studied this for years. Albert Pike's Morals and Dogma is the source outlining this as the same deception in Genesis 3. Satan said, "Live forever by your works and knowledge. Ignore God." Theosophy is just more of the lie.

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

When taken as a psychological tool to explore and understand one's own psyche, the Tarot and Tree of Life are excellent tools, and can lead to great personal power. When one delves into the religious aspects that these traditions arise from though, they often begin to sound like "superiored" there.
I'd advise that you pick up Israel Regardie's "The Golden Dawn" if you would like to obtain a better understanding of the subjects without the hypocritical idiocies spouted by religious nuts.
Edit to add: Read the bible a bit, and see if you actually like the personality of the "God" it depicts. Perhaps the "fallen" beings that were referred to might be preferable if they are rebellious against something so petty and cruel.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I will say this. Kabbalah is not the problem, as it is from the esoteric side of faith. The abuse of it, however, is what magic is all about. So in one sense you are correct. Not so much on the Golden Dawn. This is more approaching God by works of dirty hands. Christ fulfilled the law for us. Best to study it from the filter of the Bible than practice magic.

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I will hazard to add this; that my deck is 'Based upon the esoteric workings of the Secret Order of the Golden Dawn', and that it is heavily influenced by kabbalistic elements. Both of you have opinions appear to be opposite to each other, but in fact have a lot in common. All I'm getting is to formulate my own opinion, which to me appears to be somewhere in the middle. Thank you both. Does anyone have experience with Tarot cards with this sort of symbolism? Also, SuperiorEd, you say Tarot is unholy magic, yet I am lead to it by my altruistic path. What gives?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I will hazard to add this; that my deck is 'Based upon the esoteric workings of the Secret Order of the Golden Dawn', and that it is heavily influenced by kabbalistic elements. Both of you have opinions appear to be opposite to each other, but in fact have a lot in common. All I'm getting is to formulate my own opinion, which to me appears to be somewhere in the middle. Thank you both. Does anyone have experience with Tarot cards with this sort of symbolism? Also, SuperiorEd, you say Tarot is unholy magic, yet I am lead to it by my altruistic path. What gives?

God judges by intent, as does common law. He is just, knowing you better than yourself. Do the research, but most importantly, know them by their fruit. The seeds we plant will grow and we will reap the fruit. Look carefully at those you choose to follow. Your heart knows. If your intellect is strong, it will rule the mind and actions with true intent. Seeking the Good

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

...Both of you have opinions appear to be opposite to each other, but in fact have a lot in common. All I'm getting is to formulate my own opinion, which to me appears to be somewhere in the middle...

Very wise my friend.
To quote a famous discourse between God and Satan:
"Satan: I just don't know which one to pick.
God: Now you've become dependent on relationships.

God: (to Satan) If you're not sexually attracted to someone, then you're not ever going to be. But Saddam isn't right for you either, he's the other extreme. You should try spending some time alone, find the middle ground. That's what I do, because I'm a Buddhist."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Back on topic. If you'd like to gain a perfect understanding of the usage those cards were designed for, it would be best to learn from those who designed them. I'll PM you with a link you may find useful.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Contrary to much of the popular esoteric belief these days, the Tarot wasn't linked to the Tree of Life until the Golden Dawn got ahold of it. And further, it's not technically Jewish Kaballah, it's Hermetic Qabalah, which is a different kettle of fish, being much newer and more pagan-y.

If you can get your hands on a copy, a decent crash course in Tarot in general with a good section on its links to Hermetic Qabalah, try to find a copy of Richard Cavendish's The Tarot. It scratches the surface of the way that modern occultists have linked Tarot with qbl and the Tree of Life, discusses a bit of history, and is generally an easy, good read without a lot of the extremely arcane, slightly (intentionally) misleading material you might find in a lot of Golden Dawn stuff.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

What you've said about making up your own mind and resting somewhere in the middle is very true for the philosophy of the Golden Dawn. The tree of life is generally considered to have two sides, these two sides can correlate to any sort of duality you can think of but are generally considered to be opposites. When dealing with the Golden Dawn, these two opposites are represented by two pillars. These pillars should be visible in your tarot set as well as I know they are in the Waite deck.

The intent of the initiate is not to chose one side or the other but, much as in Freemasonry, the initiate should seek to stand between the two pillars and represent a balance and rejoining of the two opposite ends of creation. This is the same concept as that which is found in the divine nature of the number 3. 3 is a symbol of unity, of reconciliation of opposites and is the first number that can represent a solid object. You need to develop a good understanding of these opposites to become a whole being.

Further correlation of this idea can be found in some sects of Buddhism where we find that the Buddha had come from luxury, tried asceticism and found that the path to enlightenment rests in the middle.

If you're interested in studying these sorts of things then you have to come to understand that there really is no opposite, that these pillars are simply ways of organizing certain concepts. Religions that teach opposition, such as Christianity with God and Satan, will always label an understanding of divine unity as "evil" and the practice of such beliefs as "black magic". When you progress far enough you will come to realize that there is no direct good or evil, that life springs from the abyss of destruction and that the separation between the self and the universe is simply an illusion imposed on us by our physical vehicles.

As for suggested reading I will agree with the above poster in saying that Israel Regardie is a very good source, much less poetic than Crowley and infinitely more readable, his book The Tree of Life should be a perfect addition to your collection. I would also suggest looking into Joseph Campbell as well. He is a comparative mythologist but his understanding of unity is far superior to many of the "occultists" I see these days. If you have Netflix you can watch his Mythos series and I would also recommend Sukhavati.

I don't post on ATS as much as I used to but if you'd like to talk with me about this stuff feel free to send me a PM.

top topics

join