It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heirs Lose Fight With Government to Keep Rare Gold Coins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm stunned that they lost by a jury trial. Barry just seems hell bent on getting every last scrap of gold we possess. Guess she should have kept her mouth shut.
www.nbcphiladelphia.com...
edit on 20-7-2011 by Hillbilly123069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Good post.

Hmm, one of these coins sold for 7 million, and she had ten of them.

Usually people will steal 70 million when given the chance.

Bankers and politicians, even moreso.

Criminals run our world.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
how did the government ever find out. first they brainwash you into being a law abiding patriotic american and taught never to question the government.

now i know why, it's easier to steal from you.

her life, her children's life and her grandchildrens life could have been financially set. i guess she wasn't worthy to join the elites.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Talk about a loss of freedom, wonder if staking a claim on unowned land is acknowledged by the government still, not that there's any left to be had.

I wonder what the jury make-up was

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This is just the beginning of total control over how we live, where we live and what is on our dinner plate.

The Govt. Does not want people to have anything but their worthless paper and plastic cards. It makes it easier to shut off the flow and give us an allowance for basic survival and necessities.

Gold and Silver puts control in our hands while plastic and paper allows Govt. to control our every move.

edit on 20-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Agreed. Which is why this country went off the gold standard to start with. To take the power and ownership of this country away from the people.

They have worked hard and long to wrestle this country away from us. And in the end, they want ownership of us too. Welcome to 1984. Where 2+2 equals whatever they say it equals.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I don't get it!

They belonged to her father and the government says, "no sorry those belong to us."

How is this fair?! I know nothing they do is really fair but aren't they rightfully hers?

Interesting one sold for millions and she has what 20?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Reply to post by mblahnikluver

If you read the original post on this topic, it appears that good ol' pappy may have originally stolen the coins from thie government. Which leads me to ask, is it illegale to steal from thieves?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
From the original story.

Joan Langbord of Philadelphia and her sons went to the U.S. Treasury to authenticate the coins, but the government instead seized them. Authorities noted that the box was rented six years after Switt died in 1990, and that the family never paid inheritance taxes on them.

What's more, the Secret Service has long believed Switt and a corrupt cashier at the Mint were somehow involved in the double-eagle breach.

"A thief cannot convey good title to stolen property," Assistant U.S. Attorney Joel M. Sweet wrote.

The 2011 trial that starts Thursday might therefore have echoes of a 1930s-era criminal case....

So they are saying the Treasury is suspicious of how the man got them to begin with.
But if they can't prove they are stolen, then the court can't uphold the decision, IMO.
Of course it would never work like that.

...The government instead insists that no double eagles lawfully left the Mint, and that the coins were legally seized. The coins are being kept at Fort Knox.

All coins were 'legally' seized?

In 1937, U.S. officials seized nearly 100 pre-1933 double eagles from him as he prepared to board a train to Baltimore to meet with a coin dealer. Switt said he knew it was illegal to possess the gold coins, and said he had eventually planned to surrender them, according to a ruling issued by the trial judge this week.

In 1944, the Secret Service traced 10 separate double eagle coins that had surfaced to Switt. He acknowledged selling nine of them, but said he did not recall how he had gotten them. The statute of limitations prevented authorities from prosecuting Switt.

So there's more to the story.

Something is fishy here.
The gov't and its cronies are going on a hunch that they were stolen.
No conclusive evidence exists.

He could've got them from a real thief.
But he was a gold dealer and at the time it was illegal to own gold.
(imagine when that could happen again)
So maybe he did steal them.

Either way, without proof...they are property of the family.
But because there is no Common Law only Corporate Law, the gov't will take them.

I believe the family deserves them.
They have no prior knowledge of how he acquired them.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
This outcome of this case is more a function of the jury than it is the government per se and shows the importance of jury selection (and dare I say tampering,,,,OK I wont go there). The jurors selected were likely professionally picked for having a pro government and anti-wealth stance. I bet most were on welfare. What was the government''s case btw? The coins never should have left the mint....or they werent turned in during the gold recall of 1933? The gold recall (read confiscation) exempted the first 5 ($20) coins held and exempted "rare numismatic coins." Since the byline is Philadelphia it could have been one of the Chapman Bros who were well connected with the mint and even owned one of the super rare 1804 silver dollars and had a special run of 1921 silver dollar proofs made for them by the mint. I would like to know more about the case. Lesson learned regarding opening safe deposit boxes however.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I trust this family has learned their lesson about dealing with the criminals they thought were in place to protect their preservation of life, liberty and their pursuit of happiness.

I often wonder how many people would shed a tear if they woke up one morning and the top story on Drudge was that DC was leveled and lay in ruin.

top topics

join