It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted: A way to search the forum and view the results in chronological order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's often widely brought up in the forum, the phrase "use the search bar!" in terms of posting threads. But it can be hard to search to see if a topic has been posted already when the results are not in chronological order! For example, by searching "Elenin" in the search bar, the third result was posted on March 26th, the fourth on May 4th, yet the fifth was posted on March 19th. It's just kind of hard to find a topic or see if it's been posted if the results are not in chronological order.

I'm hoping perhaps admins could refine the google search...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I'd also like to add that I think there are some problems with the search function...I've specifically searched for things and seen no topic before, then I went to put up a topic, only to be told there was already a topic on it. I guess if they could do something about it, they would...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Maybe a bit of redundant information but on the right side of the search engine it has a lot of interesting information..

This is version 1.0 of the ASK ATS engine. Future improvements will include forum-specific searches, the ability to refine your searches based on the date a topic was authored, the date of a topic's last reply, number of flags, number of replies, and even specific members who replied to a topic.

Seems like it will be added in a later version...

(I thought the "new search engine" wasn't all that great either untill I noticed this information on the right but hey....one can not expect more from a guy that only bothers to read the instruction of his Ikea table after having struggled with the %^$ thing for half a day....
)

Peace

PS: for now it appears as if they are sorting the threads by page/reply count. With the most replied thread first..
edit on 20-7-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That would be nice. When can we expect version 1.1?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I was sure that I had searched here before, and had the option of sorting by replies, or date of thread.

I was just about to make a complaint here about wanting to know why they broke the search function.

This search that I just used is the most useless that I've ever seen, pages and pages without dates of when the thread was written, and not even in any order

I was searching because part 2 of something was just 404ed and with this search there is no way of finding part one.

I will always stick up for those posters that put up a post that say that they searched because the search is absolutely useless

I think it's time for a smoke.

Ok, calmed down, and found what I was looking for.
Only because 404ed thread's titles seem to stick around for awhile.

I wish I knew what website I was on that had the good search function - I was so sure that it was this one.
edit on 20-7-2011 by snowspirit because: because I can......

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
I'd also like to add that I think there are some problems with the search function...I've specifically searched for things and seen no topic before, then I went to put up a topic, only to be told there was already a topic on it. I guess if they could do something about it, they would...
Part of that problem isn't with the search function. Sometimes posters will use a completely inappropriate thread title, with little or no relevance to the subject of the thread, like "Hey ATSers I'll bet you didn't know this...", now how is that going to help a search engine find the topic? That's not a search engine problem, it's a problem with inappropriate thread titles. I see numerous duplicates with problems related to that where I'm not surprised it didn't show up in a search.

If the titles are aptly named, my own personal experience is that searching with fewer search terms is more likely to provide the thread you're looking for. Only use more search terms if the number of results with fewer search terms is too large, but still scan the first page of results even with the simpler search terms, sometimes you get lucky. If you follow that tip, the latest search engine seems to work reasonably well.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Hear hear!!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Why don't you use the Google advanced search? It's more 'refined' than ATS's search function.

It won't list it in chronological order, but since ATS is just using Google custom search for its search engine, you'd have more option like limiting your queries to a certain number of days.

Example: if you want to search for the last 5 days, you'd enter:

http:// www. google.com/search?q=KEYWORDS+HEREsite:www.abovetopsecret.com&as_qdr=d5

(remove the space before and after www.)

Or you can use Google Advanced search directly. (www.google.com...) Put in www.abovetopsecret.com in "Search within a site or domain:" and restrict to the number of days/weeks/months you want to display.

edit on 21/7/11 by ConspiracyNut23 because: clarity

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I would really like new threads dated.

Often there are multiple threads on the same subject. If the post date shows in New Threads - - - I can easily choose the first poster - - and not have to get redirected to the original post.

Then maybe the original post date can be used to search chronologically.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I would really like new threads dated.

Often there are multiple threads on the same subject. If the post date shows in New Threads - - - I can easily choose the first poster - - and not have to get redirected to the original post.

Dated. YES YES YES

Sometimes something is in the title that says "happening NOW" and that would be nice to know when "now" is.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
OP, this thread has been done numerous times, use the Search function for crying out loud!

[ / sarcasm ]

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

LOL!

But seriously, I second.... errr Twelfth this motion!

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It would be nice to pull out all the links referenced in the thread as well - splitting them up into html pages, youtube videos, and PDFs. I have done this on an individual thread basis, ( Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake ) because it is useful to know what resources we ATS-ers have collected together about such an important subject.

ATS would move to a whole new level if they did this for all threads. There cannot be many large forums which do this for their members. Maybe threads over a certain number of posts/flags/etc? It is a complicated process though and not one which I would like to do for all/most threads. Processing takes ages.

new topics

top topics

join