It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staples in your kitchen?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Ok everyone I know that cooks always has certain things on hand all the time.
So I thought I'd share mine and then ask what everyone elses kitchen staples were.

For me I always have tomatoes, peppers, bananas, apples, lettuce, onion (yellow and green) and fresh garlic when it comes to produce. I also buy fresh cilantro or parsley every week. I usually alternate. I also always like to have mushrooms either fresh or canned on hand.

Sour cream...enough said.

Some canned items I always keep: any of the "cream of" soups. Those make great bakes with egg noodles, stuffing or rice and you add chicken or pork chops to it. The casseroles you can make with just one can of cream of mushroom soup, rice and chicken
I also always keep the various broths and I also have the granules and cubes. It depends on what I am making which form I use. I also keep tomato paste and tomato sauce for my spaghetti sauces. I also like to get the diced tomatoes with the seasoning in them. I will mix those with fresh tomatoes for sauces. If I dont use my fresh tomatoes and peppers in time I usually just make some spaghetti sauce and that way they dont go to waste.

Another thing I always have around is flour. All purpose, bread and self rising flours. I also always have active dry yeast. I make a lot of bread and it takes no time at all to whip up biscuits

Oils good to have are extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, vegetable oil and peanut oil. I know EVOO and peanut oil are pricey but if you buy the big bottle once it really is much cheaper in the long run. I had to learn this myself because I refused to spend 20 bucks on a bottle of EVOO but it lasts much longer and in the end it is cheaper.

I also like having bread crumbs around and it is very easy to make them yourself with crackers or toasting some bread and making them. I have used left over homemade bread to make bread crumbs when I didn't have any or was trying to save money.

If you like to bake baking soda and baking powder are always good to have on hand as is vanilla extract. Eggs are good to keep as well. I know some people don't buy eggs unless they need them but you can do a lot with eggs, flour, water and sugar
so sugar is another one to always have even brown sugar. Both are fairly inexpensive.

Pasta! Pasta is always good to have. I like to keep a variety on hand but now that I have my pasta maker I'm so making it!

As for herbs and spices I always have garlic, oregano, parsley, cilantro, Italian, Adobe, salt (sea), pepper(black and red), chili seasoning, dill weed, rosemary, curry, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper. I can't think of all the times where I moved and had to give up my spices or someone took them. I always buy new when I move somewhere. I can't cook without these! My roommates fiancee moved out last year and took 95% of the spices. Half the spices were mine
I have since restocked...lol

Cheese!! I love cheese but I also make a lot of sauces with it. Grated parmesean is great to have on hand and you can easily make an alfredo sauce with it. I also like to have sharp cheddar on hand as well. I usually get the big bag and it lasts two weeks.

Wines..I like having one red and one white in the house. You never know when you might want to add a little to a dish.

Rices are good to have on hand as well. I like white and yellow mostly. Both can be made into many dishes very easily. Stuffing is another thing I LOVE but that is just me. Some people don't like it but I have used it in many dishes.

Ok I think that is it..

I just thought I would share

I always wanted a kitchen type blog to share recipes and kitchen ideas so this forum is as close as I get

I have found that places like The Dollar Tree and Dollar General are cheap when it comes to many of these items I have mentioned. To me I don't taste a single difference! That should be my next thread...generic vs name brand

So post what you think should always be in a kitchen or something you have to always have.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Great thread and nice break from all the gloom and doom!

I keep lots of rice and beans. I make my own dog food and use a lot of rice so i buy it 20lbs at a time.

Tons of canned veggies and meats.

Flour and sugar-5lbs.

Of course SEVERAL bottles of red wine..not so much for cooking....

I keep a few cases of Ramón noodles (SHTF food).

Enough spices and herbs to sink a ship..

Always have about 20lbs of frozen veggies on hand for us and the dog food..

Block cheese galore..it's mine and my dogs favorite snack.

No less than 10 cartons of eggs per week (again mainly for the dog food and for bread i make).

Several bottles of olive oil.

Stuff to make my own BBQ sauce (tomatoes, brown sugar, honey, liquid smoke, onions, peppers, etc..).

Chicken and beef bullion.

Oats.

This post seriously looks like the staples of my shopping list!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
Great thread and nice break from all the gloom and doom!

I keep lots of rice and beans. I make my own dog food and use a lot of rice so i buy it 20lbs at a time.

How do you make your own dog food?? I would like to know how you do that. I have many friends with dogs who would like that.

Beans are good too. The only reason I don't really keep them is I am not a fan lol I usually only use them in chili and that is usually very little.

Tons of canned veggies and meats.

Canned meats? I do like to keep canned tuna and chicken on hand. I buy them in bulk, in the end it's cheaper. I like to make tuna noodle casserole and pot pie and its really easy to toss a can of chicken in there if I dont have chicken breasts on hand. Another favorite veggie I like to have on hand is green beans but my local store rarely has good ones and I dont really like the canned ones but I will keep a can or two.

I keep a few cases of Ramón noodles (SHTF food).

You can do a lot with ramen noodles! I have made a few dishes where the dish started out as just ramen noodles..Then I decided to add all kinds of ingredients lol

Enough spices and herbs to sink a ship..

I have two cabinet shelves full of various spices and then I have a section in my pantry for others. I buy a lot of different ones personally because I like to make various ethnic foods.

Stuff to make my own BBQ sauce (tomatoes, brown sugar, honey, liquid smoke, onions, peppers, etc..).

I am not a BBQ fan at all however my roommate makes his own sauce and it is the only way I will eat BBQ and pulled pork. I was even surprised I ate it lol

Oats.

I love oats! I don't use them that often to be honest unless it's in cookies or muffins. I have used it as a crust for bread at times. Mostly I use oats on my face as a mask lol

This post seriously looks like the staples of my shopping list!

LOL funny because this usually is my shopping list. I always get the same things. I keep a lot of meat in the freezer so usually when I make a meal I don't have to buy all that much because I already have it. I LOVE to make chicken marsala so I always have marsala wine and I have rice vingear and fish sauce. I have been getting into various Asian type foods so now my pantry has an Asian section! I swear I could separate my cabinets by region lol

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I don't cook very often because I eat out or order in most nights.

The things i always make sure to have are onions,garlic,bread,milk,potatoes,sardines and oysters,cold pizza,leftover chinese food and steak which I buy fresh from the butcher the day I eat it.
My spices are pepper (i don't do salt) and alot of hotsauces.
(spaghetti sauces i use more spices)

When I want something,I listen to the cravings and buy the stuff fresh that day so I can make it.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

How do you make your own dog food?? I would like to know how you do that. I have many friends with dogs who would like that.

Most dog food has euthanized farm animals in it..so basically by feeding them over the counter dog food you are slowly killing them Plus all the other chemicals and unpronounceable ingredient that you wouldn't feed to someone you didn't like in there cant be good for them.

It's so easy and healthy...I have a Chocolate and Yellow Labrador (they ARE my children) that used to have a lot of health problems so i did a ton of research and came up with an awesome recipe and waa laa...no more health problems..their skin and fur is soft and healthy and their energy levels went through he roof!

My mom rescues Breeder poodles and put them on the diet as well and they do great.

Rice-1lb
Oats-2 cups
Eggs-12 (shell and all for calcium)
Olive Oil-4 tablespoons
Mixed Frozen Veggies-2lbs(no onions-i buy the 2lb bags at Shop and Save for $2.50)
Salmon/beef/Mackerel/Tuna-1lb (choose one..I rotate the meat so no allergies develop)

I cook it all in one pot and it last about 3 days..but my girls are big and need about 2 cups twice a day.

I also give them 1 extra strength tums for additional calcium and 1 doggie vitamin per day.

EDIT: They were on a special food we had to buy from the Vet, it was running us $75 a week..some crazy costing stuff...i can feed them my food for about $25 bucks a week.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Stovokor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Canned meats?

I know it's awful..but i love SPAM!!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I stopped buying shredded cheese in the bags,even name
brands.I have heard stories of wood dust being used to
prevent caking.I have a stainless steel grater and I grate
my own cheese.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

my own cheese.

That's really disgusting..

Good thing i only buy mine in blocks

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Flour salt pepper Yeast rice and beans chili red and green god help me if we run out of chili because my family will never let me hear the end of it....

I make everything from scratch
but every thing I make always comes out just a little different each time...

most often I have to improvise... some missing ingredient is replaced with what's on hand...
but my list of staples is a must have... with just these I have the base for everything I make soups stews bread countless sauces....

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I don't cook very often because I eat out or order in most nights.

The things i always make sure to have are onions,garlic,bread,milk,potatoes,sardines and oysters,cold pizza,leftover chinese food and steak which I buy fresh from the butcher the day I eat it.
My spices are pepper (i don't do salt) and alot of hotsauces.
(spaghetti sauces i use more spices)

When I want something,I listen to the cravings and buy the stuff fresh that day so I can make it.

DRUMS!!
Long time no see!

You cook some good things
You should post your recipes!

I know you dont like cheese and chocolate

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

Wow that is a great recipe. I am going to forward this off to my friend who has a puppy. He is about a year old and he is mixed with lab I believe. He is a big boy and feeding him she said is expensive. She could easily make this.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor

Canned meats?

I know it's awful..but i love SPAM!!

I love vienna sausages lol and my roommate always buys those...they are good with club crackers and gouda!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

my own cheese.

I love fresh grated cheese. If I have brick cheese I usually eat it all up with crackers lol so I have to have shredded as a back up otherwise I'd have no cheese

I really like cheese and I try to keep different kinds on hand esp when they are on sale.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Flour salt pepper Yeast rice and beans chili red and green god help me if we run out of chili because my family will never let me hear the end of it....

I make everything from scratch
but every thing I make always comes out just a little different each time...

most often I have to improvise... some missing ingredient is replaced with what's on hand...
but my list of staples is a must have... with just these I have the base for everything I make soups stews bread countless sauces....

That is how I am, I make everything I can from scratch. My ex years ago use to complain believe it or not. He didn't understand why I preferred to make a chicken pot pie on my own and not go to Boston Market lol

The things I keep on hand I can make a variety of different dishes with. My mom kept a lot of the same things so I learned from her you could say.

I also have to really think when I post some of my recipes because I don't usually measure and I never cook anything really the same every time. I always do something a little different as well.

Stew is one of the things I am known for. I think it's one of my recipes I haven't posted yet.

Thanks for sharing and can't wait to try the recipes you posted yesterday.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

here's a tasty real fast and easy one for a spicy side dish..
One can of hominy
powdered chicken bouillon to taste...
now for the secret... a dash of red chili powder to taste... no measuring just taste as you go along...

cook time just a few minutes long enough to simmer and stir...

that's what made me so popular with the ladies in my yonger days... I love to cook

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

One can of hominy
now for the secret... a dash of red chili powder to taste... no measuring just taste as you go along...

that's what made me so popular with the ladies in my yonger days... I love to cook

I love to cook too! Hominy is one of my favs..my better 1/2 never had it before and i introduced him to it a few years ago and he loves it!

Thanks for the reciepe, I am really liking this thread! More reciepes please

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

One can of hominy

Mmmm...easy and I love spicy!

LOL yeah I always cook for the guy I'm with. It is always one of the things they say they miss afterwards lol

My bf always says he likes how I love to cook..good thing is he cooks too

edit on 7/20/2011 by mblahnikluver because: messed up quote

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

My bf always says he likes how I love to cook..good thing is he cooks too

Must be nice! My partner literally can't cook...i mean, he has 2 masters degree's but can make mac 'n' cheese. Speaks 4 languages and cant figure out mashed potatoes...it's very sad

edit on 20-7-2011 by Stovokor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Being from New Orleans....good food is just part of life! I always have the "Trinity" (bell peppers, onion, garlic) which is the base of all Cajun cooking. Rice, tomatoes and tomato sauce and paste, eggs, butter, flour for roux (which is the base for all gravy and gumbo type dishes), French bread, Italian bread crumbs, cheese, sugar, fettuccine noodles, spaghetti (all pastas) all types of veggies (fresh or frozen only)....some of my favorite recipes are..

Andouille sausage and grilled peppers

Chicken and Dumplings

Fried chicken, potato salad and corn on the cob (just picked) My FAV meal!

Chicken, mushrooms and parmesan white sauce over egg noodles

Stuffed bell Peppers

Crawfish or shrimp fettuccine

Seafood or chicken & sausage Jambalaya

Seafood or chicken & sausage gumbo

Roastbeef poboys dipped in au jus gravy

Fried shrimp and oysters

Fried shrimp and catfish

Broiled flounder with crabmeat stuffing

boiled crawfish, corn, mushrooms and sausages

Any kind of stir fry

grilled steak, potatos, and vegetable kabobs

Dirty Rice (Tastes better than it sounds LOL)

The list goes on and on and on.............

My favorite desert are fresh beignets covered with powdered sugar and cafe au lait! YUMMMMMMY!

Well damn....I'm hungry!
Going to cook dinner

edit on 7/20/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I really like your list of staples...I am running out...and I think I will make a list from your suggestions. I am curious...how much a week do you spend on groceries?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join