It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elenin does it again!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I've actually been sitting on this one for a while, but I figured I should probably be the one to start this thread so it gets presented properly. Leonid Elenin has discovered another comet. Using the same remote control telescope as he discovered C/2010 X-1, he discovered comet P/2011 NO1 during a routine sky survey with his collaborator, I. Molotov on July 7. Here is it's "birth certificate":

Electronic Telegram No. 2768
Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
CBAT Director: Daniel W. E. Green; Hoffman Lab 209; Harvard University;
20 Oxford St.; Cambridge, MA 02138; U.S.A.
e-mail: cbatiau@eps.harvard.edu (alternate cbat@iau.org)
URL www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu...
Prepared using the Tamkin Foundation Computer Network

COMET P/2011 NO1
L. Elenin (Lyubertsy, Russia) and I. Molotov (Moscow, Russia) report their discovery of an object with slight apparent cometary appearance on four 240-s unfiltered CCD exposures taken remotely with a 0.45-m f/2.8 astrograph at the ISON-NM observatory near Mayhill, NM, USA, on July 7.3 UT...

You can read the full story here:
spaceobs.org...

Let the games begin. Will the designation P/2011 NO1 become P/2011 NO1 Elenin? In other words, "No-one Elenin?" Or perhaps "No one ELE," meaning there will be more than one? Or perhaps he'll give Ivan a turn and name it P/2011 NO1 Molotov, you know, as in "Molotov Cocktail." Scawey. And what about the date? 7/7/11? "Come on, momma, poppa needs a new pair of shoes!" You can see why I thought long and hard before posting this, but I thought it better to break the news like this, rather than having someone post a creepy YouTube video.
edit on 20-7-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: It is a short period comet with an estimated 17 year orbit. This means we can replay all the Elenin threads every seventeen years!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It's almost like they're asking us to question it.

Oh, hold on, there's a thought...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
There's a theory out there that Elenin is the outer orbiting body of this Nemesis dwarf star inbound, as in Elenin is the red dwarf's Pluto. If this trend is continuing, we could be seeing the red dwarf's Neptune, and so on.

If a red dwarf is really inbound to us, we would be seeing it's planets before we see the star itself, no?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
There's a theory out there that Elenin is the outer orbiting body of this Nemesis dwarf star inbound, as in Elenin is the red dwarf's Pluto. If this trend is continuing, we could be seeing the red dwarf's Neptune, and so on.

If a red dwarf is really inbound to us, we would be seeing it's planets before we see the star itself, no?

Yes we would and that is why the theory is falling apart, unless............it's flying through the time vortex behind the doctor's TARDIS and now it can travel through time.

See ? We can all make a crazy Nemesis/Niburu/whatever theory!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

No. A red dwarf is a "mainstream" star that would be perfectly visible to the naked eye, even if it were several light-years away.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
O great, now an Elenin/Molotov cocktail. Let the associations begin! Molotov Cocktail

Comets can be named for up to three independent discoverers. Increasingly, those discoverers are not individuals, but automated observatories or solar-observing satellites like the NASA/ESA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

And this so called nemesis dwarf star came from where exactly? Oh that's right that isn't one......

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It's not my theory I'm just stating what's going around out there right now about Elenin.

As far as Nemesis, I believe we are a binary system, but I don't think our sister star comes anywhere near our yellow sun. Do you guys really believe NASA is going to tell us everything they know? Like it's some kind of law that they have to? Come on, we aren't entitled to ANY information despite what you might believe, which is why the only info they tell us in these press conferences is nonsense 50+ year old crap they spoon feed to us every now and then.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

:p in all seriousness, this guy is a comet finding wizard, whats his secret? he just happens upon comets like finding loonies in the couch.
edit on 20-7-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

You don't have to take the word of NASA, you can number crunch yourself, in fact, don't you think there are millions of qualified scientist's out there that make their own calculations?

There is no physical proof our sun is in a binary system, there would be evidence of that by now. Just when is a star so far away that it has no effect on another star's system until it is called it's own star/system? or simply a close star.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It's not my theory I'm just stating what's going around out there right now about Elenin.

As far as Nemesis, I believe we are a binary system, but I don't think our sister star comes anywhere near our yellow sun. Do you guys really believe NASA is going to tell us everything they know? Like it's some kind of law that they have to? Come on, we aren't entitled to ANY information despite what you might believe, which is why the only info they tell us in these press conferences is nonsense 50+ year old crap they spoon feed to us every now and then.

It would be spotted by amateurs. Most of the stuff on the internet is changed to fit a theory that in some way involves global destruction, doom and gloom blah blah. I personally think us humans are going to destroy the world because every year we make it worse and worse. Oil spill here. Nuclear accident here. Why can't we just use natural resources oh wait there's not enough money for them.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Does this mean we got now 2 Nibirus comming our way??
HEEEEELP!!!

Ko3

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Do you guys really believe NASA is going to tell us everything they know?

Why wouldn't they? It's not like knowledge can hurt you.

Like it's some kind of law that they have to?

Actually, it is a law. It's in their charter:

(d) Objectives of Aeronautical and Space Activities.--The aeronautical and space activities of the United States shall be conducted so as to contribute materially to one or more of the following objectives:

(1) The expansion of human knowledge of the Earth and of phenomena in the atmosphere and space.....
(6) The making available to agencies directly concerned with national defense of discoveries that have military value or significance, and the furnishing by such agencies, to the civilian agency established to direct and control nonmilitary aeronautical and space activities, of information as to discoveries which have value or significance to that agency....
(8) The most effective utilization of the scientific and engineering resources of the United States, with close cooperation among all interested agencies of the United States in order to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort, facilities, and equipment....

www.nasa.gov...

Come on, we aren't entitled to ANY information despite what you might believe, which is why the only info they tell us in these press conferences is nonsense 50+ year old crap they spoon feed to us every now and then.

So... what you're saying is that the ISS is fifty years old?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Here's what i don't understand with the whole Elenin alignment causing these major earthquakes theory: How come the ENTIRE earth isn't affected by it? Why is it that certain parts are targeted, ie Japan and Christchurch? How is it possible, that an alignment can cause an earthquake in Japan, but not in New Jersey? You would think the entire planet would shake...not specific spots. So, why doesn't it?

Also, what happened to Planet X? And, why the heck is everything so secretive? Why all the BS??? Are we just being "entertained'? Can we get a little truth? Please???

I also thought Nasa's Dawn spacecraft, orbiting around Asteroid Vesta, was rather interesting.Dawn orbiting Vesta

I have a question about the photo of the asteroid, taken by the spacecraft. How come there are no other 'lights' shining in the background? How come the stars aren't visible in the photo? Are they still too far away for the camera to pic them up? Is space pitch black???

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but one thing that puzzles me with the whole Elenin debacle is that to have an orbit that eliptical (3600 years) yet crossing into the orbit of Mercury, you almost have to have something on the other end slingshotting it back and forth.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

How come he is finding them first?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kid_of_3NKi
Does this mean we got now 2 Nibirus comming our way??
HEEEEELP!!!

Ko3

LOL @ Nibiru I thought there were actually 3 spheres now dont take my word for it

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by DJW001

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but one thing that puzzles me with the whole Elenin debacle is that to have an orbit that eliptical (3600 years) yet crossing into the orbit of Mercury, you almost have to have something on the other end slingshotting it back and forth.

The gravity of the Sun pulls it back in.

...by the way, I think comet "Elenin" (the first one, not this new one mentioned by the OP) has an estimated orbital period of 11,700 years, not 3600 years.

edit on 7/20/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

But Elenin is not planet-sized. Its nucleus is estimated to be only about 5 km wide.

Elenin is closer to Earth than Mars and Venus are right now, so if it was planet-sized (even the size of a small planet like Mars), then it would be a bight dot in our night sky right now.

Therefore, that theory does not hold up to logic and observation.

edit on 7/20/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by DJW001

How come he is finding them first?

He has a large telescope with a half degree wide field of view and he's searching for them systematically.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join