It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Else's Mouse(Pointer) Go Crazy While On ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have had this happen in the past, before I joined ATS, and upon looking it up, there were some reasonable explantions. But since joining, and always, when here, my mouse(pointer) makes sudden leaps across the screen. Just now it darted all the way left, then slowly scrolled to the bottom of the page, by itself!

Anything to be concerned with? I'm on a Mac/Safari

spec
edit on 19-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Only when I'm trying to post EQ news!

But seriously, no.

edit on 19-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Been on ATS for a little over 6 months now and have never had any problems with my mouse or the pointer... Thats weird that yours is having problems.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
You could be more concerned about the cleanliness of your desktop/mouse pad

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yes...All the time.It flashes and goes out when I land on a topic.It also does the same on Drudge Report

Never does that anywhere else,What do you think it is?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

But if I am not touching the mouse at all, would dirt/grime cause the pinter to streak across the screen on it's own?
Thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Raznva

Never does that anywhere else,What do you think it is?

No, it does do it when online in general, but very rarely, whereas every time I am here it happens, and this last one, as I described was just a bit strange.
"What do I think it is?" Well this is a conspiracy site!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
yes, yes, yes, thank the gods some has the same problem I have been experiencing. Although I think my malfunction is more severe. It literally jumps off the screen and darts up me arse. I have a heck of a time getting it back where it belongs. and then the color change what a mess

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bladerunner44

So are you gonna start wearing protection while at the computer?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Some tech support answers at this link...excerpt from link.

Free tech support header

Weird leaping mouse problems?

Dave's Answer:

First off, my general rules for dealing with mouse problems:

* Your mouse drive may need updating or replacement if it got corrupted.
* Your mouse to computer connections may be loose.
* Or, your mouse itself may be dirty, so you need to clean it as per your manufacturer's instructions.

Now, let's get into some specifics.

The first thing I would look for with optical mice is any sort of obstruction under the optical sensor. Sometimes dust, lint, or similar impediments get stuck between the optical sensor and the surface your mouse sits on, causing unexpected behavior. My second guess would be a surface that isn't favorable for optical mice. Optical mice have problems on porous surfaces and surfaces like glass. Typically this causes more frequent and obvious problems though. To eliminate the surface you are using as the problem, try putting something like a blank piece of paper under the mouse and see if the problems continue.

If obstructions and the surface are eliminated as problems, Microsoft has a knowledge base article on erratic mouse pointer movement that may help. As you can see in this article, there is more to it than uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse driver. Microsoft Support on Mouse Problems

I have also seen reports of the new Gateway tablets doing this. These models vent hot air through the keyboard. If the lid is left closed when the tablet is docked, the touchpad heats up and causes the mouse to jump around. The only resolution have seen on this is just to leave screen up, though I'd be tempted to leave the unit on ice and see what happened!

As I've said, it's possible that something has corrupted your mouse driver. You can either 1) re-install the driver, or 2) roll back the driver. Either one of these may help. To roll back your driver in Windows XP, go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Mouse. Click on the "hardware" tab. Select the appropriate pointing device, and click "properties." Click the driver tab, then select "roll back driver."

Full article: www.askdavetaylor.com...

Good Luck

Des
edit on 19-7-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks, and I pulled that info up some time ago too. But I have a fan on my comp, the mouse and connectors are clean, and I was not touching the mouse when the pointer took off.
Aha,"bad surface," now that could be it, since I have no mouse pad. But still it happens more when I am here than general surfing, so I was curious about the coincidence/correlation. And again, the scrolling down by itself is what drew my suspicion, not just the jumping.
Guess I'll get me a pad.

I guess what really raised my suspicion bout something nefarious is, once I had a tech helping me over the phone, and he was able to make my mouse move as he assisted me, so I was thinking someone is hacking me or something. Paranoia is total awareness ya know!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I had the same problem on my MAC when I used a light colored or patterned pad...lot less of a problem with my Compaq lap top...with the MAC, I switched to a black mouse pad...no more problems.

Des

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks Des, I'll get me a black pad.

Peace,
spec

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Spec...if you have a book with a black cover, or a note book with black binder, you can give it a try without shelling out $ for a pad....I now use a black note book binder for my MAC.

Hope you get it tamed down...those wild mousies..can mess with your brain.

Des

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
reply to post by satron

But if I am not touching the mouse at all, would dirt/grime cause the pinter to streak across the screen on it's own?
Thanks

It depends upon how intelligent the dirt actually is.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by bladerunner44
yes, yes, yes, thank the gods some has the same problem I have been experiencing. Although I think my malfunction is more severe. It literally jumps off the screen and darts up me arse. I have a heck of a time getting it back where it belongs. and then the color change what a mess

Don't the little "hooky" bits get caught?

Extracting it could be a painful problem!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
My cord mouse was going crazy on ATS and I thought
it was the mouse itself. I bought a new cordless mouse
and all is fine now.

Those pesky mousies!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

It depends upon how intelligent the dirt actually is.

Too funny bro! Is there an intelligence test for dirt I can use? And how was it designed? Is it fair or does it discriminate?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Hey there Daisy! Thanks, and I will try a good pad first, since I am without for now. If that don't work, I'll consider a new mouse.

spec

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
if you have a laser mouse blow in the eye a few times clear out the dust some times its a spiders nest others times its just a tiny hair

<<   2 >>

join