It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racial profiling law abolished

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Springfield council votes to abolish racial profiling law
www.cbs3springfield.com...

Another small victory as Racial Profiling is finally seen as an abuse of Human Rights. The case below made headlines not only because of Racial Profiling but for the fact that Officers entered a private dwelling without a search warrant.

Springfield's city council voted unanimously on a federal law affecting illegal immigrants. There were many cheers inside City Hall Monday. CBS 3 Springfield's Natalie Tolomeo spoke to one woman who says she was a victim of racial profiling even though she's a U.S. citizen. "They came into my house with no search warrant," says Springfield resident Elsie Gonzalez.

I couldn't imagine the fear and outrage I would feel if this happened to me and my family. Nazis looked for Jews and now it's just anyone with off-white skin.

"(Officials had) no permission, they just busted in and started laughing at us, looking for an immigrant or some criminal but they were not in our apartment," says Gonzalez, who was born in Puerto Rico but came to the U.S. in 1957. Dressed in only pajamas, Gonzalez says she was detained while officials ransacked her home to find nothing or no one they were looking for. She says she was so scared, her body went into shock and she lost her eyesight. "(The officers) grabbed my husband by the neck and everything and that's not right, just because he's Mexican."

Not all communities are on board tho. I guess that racial profiling is still wanted by some.

Only three states have opted out of the Secure Communities program. Those are New York, Illinois and Massachusetts. Last month, Gov. Patrick decided not to sign on to the program. Right now, California has legislation pending to allow communities to either adopt or abolish the Secure Communities program.

Case 2008:
Only fair to show another side but was this done to justify the actions of profiling against non-white? Reverse profiling? A Caucasian man is looked at as suspicious because of walking with a black toddler. So if it isn't a black or white thing, what is it?
www.dallascriminaldefenselawyerblog.com...

Two blocks from home, an Austin police officer pulled up and, to my surprise, got out and announced she was there to question me. Someone had called 911, she said, to report a suspicious looking white man walking down the street holding hands with a black toddler. (I could tell where this line of questioning was headed.) She said this as though it were the most natural thing in the world for police to investigate, as though my race and Ty's, in and of itself, was reason enough to stop and question me...

Not wanting to violate the failure to identify statute, I gave her my name, address and birthdate but refused to answer any other questions. ("I'm going to write down that you were noncooperative," she warned ominously, as though admonishing an elementary school student that some infraction might go on their permanent record. "Oh no, not that," I thought to myself.)

I asked if we could leave, but the officer kept me there demanding answers. "Someone complained," she declared, "we have to follow up." "Like hell you do," I told her, "not when you don't have reasonable suspicion to think I did anything wrong."

To my astonishment, while we were talking, another officer pulled up in response to the 911 call, this one a tall, older, thick-chested fellow with graying hair who felt the need to demonstrate his dominance. I replied to his "I'm in charge here" bluster by again asking, "Am I free to go?" "No you are not," he insisted, "not until I'm finished," and continued his pointless monologue.

Meanwhile, a THIRD police car pulled up to the scene. By then I was getting mad. Austin police had already disrupted my day significantly because they're supposedly out hunting armed killers, but they've got enough extra cops lollygagging around to send THREE squad cars to investigate me for Babysitting While White?

It's hard to define exactly what the greater tragedy is in this story. That an Austinite was so disturbed by this activity as to call 911. Or that three police officers, using their judgment and training,decided to investigate this activity.

DOJ confirms Racial Profiling exists.
www.sanjoseinside.com...

Latinos living in San Jose have a higher risk of being charged with resisting arrest than in any other California city, according to data recently obtained from the state Department of Justice. The data comes on the heals of a major public outcry and subsequent creation of a city-appointed task force over the suspiciously high and racially disproportionate arrest rate for another charge: public intoxication.

edit on 19-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

While it is always nice to see power taken out of the hands of those who abuse it, racial profiling does make sense if the people who are supposed to be performing it can do so without using it as a tool to terrorize that "race". As an example, if you want to reduce illegal immigration, it only stands to reason that you target people that are from that country for questioning if they meet certain other criteria such as the inability to speak the local language. It would be unreasonable to check the citizenship of every single person from each different race. While this may seem a little harsh, it probably wouldn't anymore if you lived in an area such as southern Arizona, prone to high volumes of illegal immigrants and the subsequent gang violence tied to the cartels and such.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
all i can say coming from the uk is that i am shocked that there are such racist laws in the western world today.
i know you lot where a bit late abolishing slavery, but that just takes the biscuit.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Obviously, the officers went way too far and should be discipline severely. I'm not a fan of racial profiling, but the truth is that Latin and South American immigrants seem to be the ones with the highest amounts of illegals. The most notorious and fast growing gangs and drug rings in the U.S. are from Latin and South America. Thing is, 90+% of these immigrants fit into the Latino ethnic category. I'm sorry, but I can't abide ignoring the easiest and most obvious way to sniff out such dangerous people just because it's politically incorrect.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Obviously, the officers went way too far and should be discipline severely. I'm not a fan of racial profiling, but the truth is that Latin and South American immigrants seem to be the ones with the highest amounts of illegals. The most notorious and fast growing gangs and drug rings in the U.S. are from Latin and South America. Thing is, 90+% of these immigrants fit into the Latino ethnic category. I'm sorry, but I can't abide ignoring the easiest and most obvious way to sniff out such dangerous people just because it's politically incorrect.

With that logic tho, every non-white is ripe for illegal searches and detainment. That's the problem. What about those that are in America legally and are pulled over because of skin color?

The only people that won't be at risk of Human Rights abuse will be white. It just doesn't work.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
all i can say coming from the uk is that i am shocked that there are such racist laws in the western world today.
i know you lot where a bit late abolishing slavery, but that just takes the biscuit.

With that attitude, your country will be living under Sharia Law in no time my friend. You guys could use a few "racist laws" I think.

new topics

top topics

join