It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Tyson talks about UFOs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Very smart, very interesting and amusing speaker.

Enjoy;

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thanks for that! Loved it.

The man makes an excellent point or 2.
I truly believe that there are "visitors" but I have not seen or heard anything that I could call proof.
S&F

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by martinkb

Probably the funniest skeptic ever.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Excellent! I'm in total agreement with him, notice that he did not say that there are NOT alien-piloted spaceships out there, he's simply pointing out that eyewitness accounts and fuzzy photos and videos do not carry the proper burden of proof to determine whether they are or not. "UFO" does not equal "ET flying saucer", it simply means someone saw something that they couldn't identify. And like he said, that's right where the conversation should stop

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This guy obviously doesn't know about the radar data backing up eye witnesses, talking about 'argument from ignorance'.

But l agree a very smart and entertaining speaker.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My favorite part is the officer following Venus on a windy road thinking hes chasing a UFO
edit on 19-7-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
Excellent! I'm in total agreement with him, notice that he did not say that there are NOT alien-piloted spaceships out there, he's simply pointing out that eyewitness accounts and fuzzy photos and videos do not carry the proper burden of proof to determine whether they are or not. "UFO" does not equal "ET flying saucer", it simply means someone saw something that they couldn't identify. And like he said, that's right where the conversation should stop

You'd only say this if you wanted to stop investigating.

Saw something they couldn't identify and expert opinion cannot identify either carries with it evidence you have a burden to prove is man made, earthly or known and identifiable. You can't just ignore it because you don't know what it is. You investigate until you know what it is.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Very entertaining and an interesting perspective. This guys a great speaker and quite intelligent. I guess we will never know if UFO's are real until someone can get their hands on something physical. However, I do believe there has been evidence found in the form of chemical residue and changes in environmental properties of plants. This was analyzed and confirmed by Dr. J. Allen Hynek during his investigations for project blue book. He later changed from a skeptic to a believer.

As far as mechanical devices taken from vehicles, all we have are stories of items retrieved by our government from crashed disks. If these stories are true, the proof has been hidden away from the general public.

Tyson's line about thousands of star gazers fixed to the sky rings true. If there are strange vehicles flying in the night sky, shouldn't we be hearing the alarm from thousands of amateur astronomers? They don't work for government agencies so what would they have to hide?

I guess we'll just have to wait until ET's knock on our doors and introduce themselves.
edit on 19-7-2011 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
My favorite part is the officer following Venus on a windy road thinking hes chasing a UFO

Yeah there are definitely a lot of those but then again there are so many that are without a doubt true and coming from credible pilots, policeman and astronauts who don't say they saw something they couldn't explain...they say they saw a ship....it is no crime to chase "a light in the sky" thinking it is a UFO. That is going to happen a lot. That doesn't mean we should overlook and ignore the huge number of credible witnesses who know what they saw and there is/was no doubt in their mind...no doubt in the mind of the multitude of witnesses who saw it (and or photographed it) with them.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Disinfo agent and hard to belief he doesn't know, which means he's a traitor to humanity, so not going to witness his false charm and wit.

Its all about the times, they're ushering in, close down info and knowledge ,lie about everything even Roswell, and try to prepare the people for devasting poverty, lack of services, police state and in the end for the survivors, the dark ages.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

I have respect for the man and have seen and read quite a bit of his media exposure, mainly dealing with astrophysics and astronomy. To use his simplified quote, "someone saw something they couldn't identify...that's right where the conversation should stop." Huh? If we were to apply this to his fields of expertise, there should be no field. Has anyone ever seen a black hole other than in blurry pictures that cant be substantiated? How about dark matter or a score of other phenomena which have never been seen but we are to take the mathematical "eyewitnesses" testimony as fact. Because scientifically, they could exist.
The arrogance of scientists really grabs me sometimes.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Tyson is one of the newer members of MJ-12 (although it isn't called that anymore). It's his job to misdirect people away from government black projects by reminding us of the possible existence of extraterrestrials, while at the same time readying us for potential open contact beyond the control of the government. It's an odd game, but it's worked surprisingly well for over a half century.

Carl Sagan used to do the same thing. The official line is, there are probably extraterrestrials but they are way too far away to ever interact with us.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
To use his simplified quote, "someone saw something they couldn't identify...that's right where the conversation should stop." Huh? If we were to apply this to his fields of expertise, there should be no field. Has anyone ever seen a black hole other than in blurry pictures that cant be substantiated? How about dark matter or a score of other phenomena which have never been seen but we are to take the mathematical "eyewitnesses" testimony as fact.

Here's another one. Dreams. The only reason we agree that dreams exist is because most people have them. It's reality by consensus. If only a few people had them, randomly, we'd say they were crazy or mistaken. There is no hard proof that dreams exist. Just some rapid eye movement, some brainwave variation. Nothing definitive.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Funny... Intelligent enough to throw many off the road. Disinfo agent i agree.

As "Sheldon Cooper" told him... "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas"

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by Swills

Yeah there are definitely a lot of those but then again there are so many that are without a doubt true and coming from credible pilots, policeman and astronauts who don't say they saw something they couldn't explain...they say they saw a ship....it is no crime to chase "a light in the sky" thinking it is a UFO. That is going to happen a lot. That doesn't mean we should overlook and ignore the huge number of credible witnesses who know what they saw and there is/was no doubt in their mind...no doubt in the mind of the multitude of witnesses who saw it (and or photographed it) with them.

Oh I get it. I'm a believer. I just find the story funny, but that one story does not discredit all eye witnesses stories. We have on film, that streamed live on CNN, retired military officers talking about UFOs shutting their nuclear missiles. So theres no way in hell I'm discrediting their testimonies just because Neil doesn't like eye witness reports as evidence. Yes, a lot of times its unreliable, but that does discredit all of them. You'd be a fool to accept that.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnostician
This guy obviously doesn't know about the radar data backing up eye witnesses, talking about 'argument from ignorance'.

Not to mention that the military have filmed and photographed UFOs. You could also have said MULTIPLE eyewitness reports.

Nonetheless he still makes some good points.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Evidence for these claims?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by martinkb
Very smart, very interesting and amusing speaker.

Enjoy;

Put this vid in my sig a while back. Good vid.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

Originally posted by gnostician

Not to mention that the military have filmed and photographed UFOs. You could also have said MULTIPLE eyewitness reports.

Nonetheless he still makes some good points.

Yeah, we will have to wait a long time till "official disclosure", not holding my breath.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
geez thats from way back 2007..

do we really need a thread on it??..do you really think this was not discussed before

is there so much lack of activity around lately

top topics

<<   2 >>

join