It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about stellarium and the moon.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Please post where the moon should appear in the sky on Tuesday July 19, 2011 at 7:45 am eastern time. Viewing from location Toronto, Ontario Canada. M9R-3Y8
Please post location and distance from horizon (from zero to ninety degrees).

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
That really isnt a "question". Its more of you telling us to do research for you.
ATS is not your personal search engine, bud.
Its called google
Use it, learn it, love it.
Mkay?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Looks to be under the horizon around -20 to -30 degrees.

But I am not a scientist or astronemer, so do not take my word for it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

The Moon is that nearly round ball thing that is the brightest object in the dark sky at this time of the month.

If you have bothered to look for the Moon over the last few days, you would be quite able yourself to discern where it would be the next night. Because with a tiny little bit of research or just standing out looking at the Moon over a couple of nights, you can discern that it is about 30 minutes closer to the eastern horizon every day. In other words its time of rising is always about 30 minutes later each day.

Please note that this thing that seems to be pretty much a mystery to you is capitalized; Moon. It is the only "moon" in the solar system that is capitalized.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

At 7:45 am EDT, in Toronto, the moon was at almost 27 degrees above the horizon, to the west-southwest.
edit on 19-7-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

"That really isnt a "question". Its more of you telling us to do research for you..."

Sounded like a polite request to me... what's YOUR problem?! Maybe.... just maybe, the poster doesn't have the computer skills to search the information, or the savvy to interpret it. What ever the case, we need fewer *!#'s
like you in our midst. Got another hobby to fall back of besides berating people?
edit on 19-7-2011 by fedup4sure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

At 7:45 am EDT, in Toronto, the moon was at almost 27 degrees above the horizon, to the west-southwest.

I already knew the answer, and that's exactly where it SHOULD have been.
At 7:45am EDT it was between 50 and 55 degrees above the horizon, this was confirmed by four other people.
Something is seriously wrong here.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

If that's the case, then, from my location, the moon tonight should also be in a location different from where Stellarium says it should be. I'll be checking (Stellarium says the moon should be rising exactly an hour from now, and almost exactly due east).

If, perchance, the moon is, in fact, where Stellarium says it should be from my location... how would you reconcile such an observation with your observation of the moon not being where it should be according to the program?
Would you say it deviated from its expected position for the sake of observers this morning in Toronto, just to get back on track so no one else would notice the discrepancy?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
That really isnt a "question". Its more of you telling us to do research for you.
ATS is not your personal search engine, bud.
Its called google
Use it, learn it, love it.
Mkay?

What the hell is a "google" ?
And actually, yes, it was a question.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

The Moon is that nearly round ball thing that is the brightest object in the dark sky at this time of the month.

If you have bothered to look for the Moon over the last few days, you would be quite able yourself to discern where it would be the next night. Because with a tiny little bit of research or just standing out looking at the Moon over a couple of nights, you can discern that it is about 30 minutes closer to the eastern horizon every day. In other words its time of rising is always about 30 minutes later each day.

Please note that this thing that seems to be pretty much a mystery to you is capitalized; Moon. It is the only "moon" in the solar system that is capitalized.

I think you are looking for the "Grammar Nazi" forum, it's over there on your left.
The question had nothing to do with the movement of the moon, it was a simple question about where it would be at a particular point in time.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

If that's the case, then, from my location, the moon tonight should also be in a location different from where Stellarium says it should be. I'll be checking (Stellarium says the moon should be rising exactly an hour from now, and almost exactly due east).

If, perchance, the moon is, in fact, where Stellarium says it should be from my location... how would you reconcile such an observation with your observation of the moon not being where it should be according to the program?
Would you say it deviated from its expected position for the sake of observers this morning in Toronto, just to get back on track so no one else would notice the discrepancy?

I'm not going to play this little game with you anymore CLPrime, it's getting boring.
Is this a hobby, or an occupation?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

At 7:45am EDT it was between 50 and 55 degrees above the horizon, this was confirmed by four other people.

Were you looking on Stellarium because the moon wasn't where you thought it was supposed to be?

I have the moon in my living room window as it comes up every night, and I noticed last night it had moved out of its south eastern position to straight east. Last night was the first night it rose up behind my big birch tree. It seemed to be a lot of change from the night before.

I've been looking at it every night wondering when it was going to lose some of it's fullness. The position it's been coming up in has made it look full now for longer than usual. I checked that out last Friday wondering why it was still so full, but that was supposed to be its fullest night according to my calendar. Now that it's moved slightly more north, to a straight east position, it's still appearing almost full.

I won't see it until around 10ish tonight.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I could ask you the same thing.
What makes you so defensive about being asked such a reasonable question? If the moon is, now and in my location, exactly where is should be, then how can that be reconciled with your claim that the moon was, this morning and in your location, not where Stellarium said it should be? What could explain such a discrepancy?

It really is a legitimate question.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

At 10:58, the bottom of the moon was sitting on the horizon. This is exactly where Stellarium says it should be.
About 4 minutes ago, Stellarium said the moon should be 2 degrees above the horizon. That's where the moon was.

Tonight, in my location, the moon is where it should be.
Can you explain the discrepancy?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Were you looking on Stellarium because the moon wasn't where you thought it was supposed to be?

I have the moon in my living room window as it comes up every night, and I noticed last night it had moved out of its south eastern position to straight east. Last night was the first night it rose up behind my big birch tree. It seemed to be a lot of change from the night before.

I've been looking at it every night wondering when it was going to lose some of it's fullness. The position it's been coming up in has made it look full now for longer than usual. I checked that out last Friday wondering why it was still so full, but that was supposed to be its fullest night according to my calendar. Now that it's moved slightly more north, to a straight east position, it's still appearing almost full.

I won't see it until around 10ish tonight.

I actually did not use Stellarium, I have doubts concerning it's accuracy. I used two different web sites where you enter your location and time for the location of the moon at that exact moment.
This all started this morning when I observed the moon where it should not have been, to check my sanity I verified this on those web sites.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

so where is the question?

Install stellarium and find out.
Magick!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Though the OP should have researched it, Stellarium is a program designed to tell you were the stars and planets align during a given time and according to your location. it will even locatye asteroids and comets if viw=ewable from your location.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose

so where is the question?

Install stellarium and find out.
Magick!

It was a semi rhetorical question since I already knew the answer.
You have to read the entire thread to see the big picture.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Though the OP should have researched it, Stellarium is a program designed to tell you were the stars and planets align during a given time and according to your location. it will even locatye asteroids and comets if viw=ewable from your location.

Again, this was a semi rhetorical question, I am fully aware of what Stellarium is and have used it on many occasions. The only one who seems to have understood the OP was CLPrime since he was also the only one to actually answer the question. After you look up semi rhetorical, look up ironic.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

reply to post by CLPrime

At 10:58, the bottom of the moon was sitting on the horizon. This is exactly where Stellarium says it should be.
About 4 minutes ago, Stellarium said the moon should be 2 degrees above the horizon. That's where the moon was.

Tonight, in my location, the moon is where it should be.
Can you explain the discrepancy?

Nope.
What are the odds that the only person on this entire web site who actually understands what I'm talking about is also the worlds greatest moon anomaly debunker?
I think I'll start searching for crystal skulls or some other high strangeness that actually has a future and offers unlimited growth potential.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join