It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climatologist blames hotter nights...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Hello friends,

As some of you might be aware, it's getting hot - very hot - in Canada right now...

The last few days have been up there in the 30 degrees Celsius (roughly 86 degrees Fahrenheit) and above...sometimes way above if we add in the humidity factor.

This has brought hellish storms our way. Last Sunday, in Ottawa, the Cheap Trick performance ended with a bang. A sudden thunderstorm leveled the stage, hurting people on the way and cutting power for over two hundred thousand homes...nasty stuff...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c66c88834659.jpg[/atsimg]

www.cbc.ca...

Now, weather channels are calling for raises in temperature in the days to come, example: 45 degrees Celsius in our area (Montreal) on Thursday...that's 113 degrees Fahrenheit...not good...

Problem is that the nights are also warming up...fact. I came across this article from The Canadian Press that states that warmer nights are the perfect scenario for destructive storms.

Environment Canada senior climatologist Dave Phillips said it's not the days that are getting hotter — it's the nights.

According to Phillips, there are more and more nights when the mercury stays above 20 Celsius. That means there is less time for the air to cool down at night, causing a build-up of hot air. When a cold front comes in, like it did on Sunday night in the Ottawa region, it's the perfect storm fuel.

With climate change, is this going to get worse?

"This is really just a dress rehearsal of what we will see more likely in the future," Phillips said.

A dress rehearsal ???

Read the article here: ca.news.yahoo.com...

If this is just a dress rehearsal...are you ready for the real show??

How's the weather in your area?

edit on 19-7-2011 by SonoftheSun because: punctuation

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
how's the weather here? well here in southern OK it's HOT . . .over 40 days of 100+ temps. .
and strangely lots of clouds in the sky, every day for at least 3 weeks (that I have personally noticed). . . . but no rain. .. .
if it does happen to rain, it's very sparse and only lasts a few minutes!!!!

i hope this isn't a "dress rehearsal" !

edit on 19-7-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I live in Oregon on the west coast of the US, portland and the weather has been awesome, I am not one that really likes it to be to hott so its been amazing, although the plants could use a little more sun but they are still doing ok. Best summer ever so far

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hot as hell in SE Ontario, and we have had several nasty storms over the past couple weeks.
It's actually not too bad today where I am, but I live near the St. Lawrence so it's always a bit cooler than, say, Toronto or Ottawa in the summer.

But I'm not fretting. The storms are fun to watch so long as I'm not out on the water.
And having less than 6 months of snow won't make me too upset either.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sounds like very unusual weather for Canada.
Here in N Indiana we are roasting as well -
going to 96 degrees today and with the
humidity it will be way over 100 degrees.
I hope the power comes back on for people
so they can stay cool with fans and AC.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

You do realize how massive Canada is, right?
This country has more than one climate lol.
My Aunt in SW British Columbia grows bananas in her garden.
Yet we have permafrost in the Territories.

I remember roasting in 40+ degree (Celsius, obviously) days throughout my childhood.

The difference is instead of heat waves, we are getting sustained humidity and above average temperatures in Northern areas, such as Montreal as the OP stated.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

humidity?!?!
I want some!!! so hot & dry in the south central US, it's unbearable!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I don't know really...We had a terrible spring (tons of rain and cold as heck) and now that the summer is finally settling in, storms are lining up...I think the warmer nights are indeed unusual. In our area anyways. But I might be wrong.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Over the last week there's been a couple of small tornadoes touch down, unusual this high up. There was one slightly north of Big River Saskatchewan, which is about level latitude with Edmonton.

www.vancouversun.com...

Just before 6:30 p.m. Environment Canada started receiving public reports about a tornado on the ground 15 kilometres north of Big River. The adverse weather also brought hail the size of golf balls to the Big River area, which is about 225 kilometres north of Saskatoon.

Last night here, I could hear the wind around the house, it sounded loud, like a train coming down on you, and I kept wondering how you're supposed to see a tornado at 4 in the morning when it's black out, except for the odd lightning strike.

I've only been in Sask for about 6 years, but last night was the hottest ever. I had to close the windows because of the wind and rain. I couldn't even get the house to cool down because of that.

I've never needed an air conditioner before.
This is extreme for the prairies.
I wonder how cold the winter will be this year.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

But I'm not fretting. The storms are fun to watch so long as I'm not out on the water.

Aye. As the Canadian Press article states, two people have died while being on the lake when it hit on Sunday.

Not a place where I would want to be either !!!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I live in Fargo, ND. At 4 o'clock this morning I awoke to tornado sirens and seen that it was 82 degrees (at FOUR in the morning). The lightning and thunder was constant, amazing really, and sheets of rain flooding the streets for about an hour. It has been like this for the past week or so. Highs in the 90's Farenheit and lows at night near 80, and with the humidity the heat index is well over 100. Forecast heat index today 116.

And I thought this city was known for it's cold weather!
...bleh.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Tornadoes eh? ok...I prefer Montreal.

Last night here, I could hear the wind around the house, it sounded loud, like a train coming down on you

Exactly the same description for last Sunday here. I remember thinking that it must hit hard somewhere for sure... On Monday, we learned that all hell broke loose in Ottawa.

I also wish for a mild winter...but doubt it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lurker007

I've noticed this same weather patter down here, pum pum pum, Deep in the Heart of Texas. Been here since 05 and never noticed this kind of weather pattern. Dark clouds all day, little to no rain. It just spits. Talked to locals and they say its never been like this. Talked to my Mom in Fl, ditto.

This seems to be a deep change in the weather pattern, not sure of the cause, but have to contemplate that we ARE seeing the affects of global warming.

Worse drought down here in ages. Like Dylan says, "Theres something happening here.....".

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

How is the weather where I live?

The weather in my area is like it usually is in July. Hot!! But, I must say, the nights are quite bearable. So, maybe the weather isn't like it usually is in July. Normally I would have to have a big fan stuck in the doorway of my studio to keep the air moving. So far this summer the fan has been sitting in a corner collecting dust each night.

A dress rehearsal for things to come. Yikes! I heard on the radio last night that the temperature in, I think it was, Iowa yesterday hit 126 degrees F. That's Saudi Arabian desert temperatures! And no doubt Iowa is a lot more humid than the desert I dwelled in 20 years ago. That must be miserable!!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
North Battleford, Sask. here. Big storms in Sask. last night with some damage. Winds in excess of 97km per hour in some places & Waskesiu had baseball sized hail. It was in the low 30's here yesterday and again today, but the humidex is off the charts for this area. We could hardly breathe and my hubby and I were darn near puddles on the sidewalk...lol. They're saying we can look forward to another evening of storms tonight - not looking forward to that, but humidex and temps to go down to a more normal level tomorrow. There was an unconfirmed twister east of here as well. Probably get one soon, I'm thinkin. With all the flooding we had south of here and all the standing water, we've also had record mosquitoes - 12 times the normal amount. Gettin' ready to run to the basement with my "Deep Woods Off" !!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
While the heat is hard on people, it's even harder on equipment: without a sufficient cooldown period, more and more critical electronics will start failing over the next few months.

I expect grid failures to increase by the end of August, with major outages becoming the norm. With the supply problems due to the multiple disaster in Japan, replacing and repairing the downed equipment will become harder and harder.

No one I know is even beginning to think through the consequences of sustained heat waves, and consquently no government agency is prepared to deal with sustained massive outages.

And that doesn't even begin to cover the effects on roads, railroads, and other fixed structures that were designed for a temperature regimen several degrees lower. The fact that the infrastructure has been neglected fior decades doesn't help.

Yeah, it's hot today...how much hotter will it be when the grid fails?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here in SE michigan we had such a wet spring that corn planting was delayed long enough that most of the corn where i might expect to have it hard to see over is not yet to my knees. Since then the rain has been hit or miss. I wouldnt really consider the current heat wave unusual for here but it does seem to be rather wide spread.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
For me, in South Africa, when it's Summer it is hot but in Winter it is much colder than before. In South Africa it is basically Summer weather 7-8 months of the year but the last few Winters (especially this year) it has been awful. We've had thunder and hailstorms this Winter. We had minus temperatures in Autumn this year. Winter basically started a month earlier. Our weather seems to be getting colder not hotter.

edit on 7/19/2011 by qonone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

Monday marked the 28th day of 100-plus degree temperatures in Oklahoma City this year. The record for 100-degree days in a calendar year is 50, set in 1980. At least one person has died from heat stroke since the heat wave began, and the high temperatures are suspected in two other deaths. Dozens of people have required medical treatment. The heat wave is blamed for buckling on concrete roads and highways across the state. Read more: newsok.com...

and no sign of the heat giving anytime soon =(

apacheman, we are already seeing our infrastructure fail under the extreme heat. . . . the above article also talks about how the extreme heat is causing water main breaks, and due to the low water pressure a/c in alot of state buildings aren't working! the water pressure may not be fully restored due to the low amounts of water in resevoirs and of course, outdoor watering ban

edit on 19-7-2011 by lurker007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Here in NW Oregon, we have not had summer yet, it has been cold and rainy. We are still wearing coats and have not even used the air conditioner yet. The nights actually seem colder than usual.

This may be the year with out a summer, and I love summer, so send some hot weather our way. Hope all is well in Canada, that stage falling during the Cheap Trick concert must have been scary.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join