It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama breaks the Campaign Laws according to RNC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
www.examiner.com...

President Barack Obama video-recorded a campaign ad in the White House. The RNC Chairman says Obama broke the law in doing so. The White House argues (naturally) that it is not only legal, but that "W" and Reagan did the same.
HOWEVER, looking at the VIDEOS IN THIS ARICLE, it's obvious that Obama's ad is totally different than the two Republicans from the past three decades. With "W" and Reagan, there was an archived video with voice-over. Obama actually sat there in the White House and was recorded live.

So what are your thoughts? I think Obama broke the law - just like using the government phones to campaign.

You can see the Obama, Bush, and Reagan VIDEOS in this linked article:
www.examiner.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
With the common folk, there seems to be a no tolerance policy with every law, even the ones that defy all logic and common sense. Shutting down little girls lemon aid stands, arresting toddlers for bringing plastic knives to school, etc. seems to be all to common these days.

So, my opinion, if it's a law and he broke it, he should be responsible for the consequence. And as it has been told to me a few times, ignorance doesn't excuse one from the law, so saying George W. and Reagan did it, so it's OK for me, doesn't fly.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Mudman21 because: puncuation

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
By law, a president is allowed to make such videos, so long as they are done in a portion of the White House that is considered part of the "residence". However, it is illegal if it is filmed in a "business" portion of the structure. According to the White House, the Map Room is part of the residence, not designated for official business.

From the OP Source:

The White House response says that the Map Room is part of the president's residence they believe is a legal location for video-taping Obama promotional materials.

So, is the Map room really part of the residence? According to Wikipedia, the answer is yes.

The Executive Residence is the central building of the White House Complex located between the East Wing and West Wing.

en.wikipedia.org...

Looking at the floor plan for the White House, one can infer that the Map Room is, indeed, situated within the "central building"; thus is part of the executive residence.

Map: upload.wikimedia.org...

So, did Obama violate the law? I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

What more needs said? Well done with your debunking.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

According to liberals and progressives everywhere, he had his fingers crossed, so it didn't count.
Kinda like Gitmo
Kinda like "I won't raise your taxes one dime"
Kinda like kinetic actions
Kinda like unemployment won't go above 8%
Kinda like "shovel ready jobs"

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Scene from White house situation room awhile back:

Panic!

Get everyone in here now!

The president has screwed up and violated the campaign laws and we have to think of something fast!

What to do, what to do? (accompanied by much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth by all in attendance)

Wait, I have it!

Let's claim that the White House isn't really one government building, it's really two - with the residence part private.

Voila! No law violation if we can sell it to the fools out in the flyover states like we've sold everything else to.

Meeting adjourned ...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
By law, a president is allowed to make such videos, so long as they are done in a portion of the White House that is considered part of the "residence".

Maybe you could post a link to the law that allows the president to "split hairs" and claim that one building is really two.

Next we'll find out that the Pentagon is really two buildings - a civilian building for the civilian workers and a military base for all the military people.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This is a technicality, in comparison to something like torture, which is clearly illegal.

So if they got away with torture, they'e going to get away with recording a video in the White House.

Meanwhile, if you're black, you'll be in prison for 20 years for drugs.

The elite are above the law. Sad but true.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Anybody else find it nearly-unbelievable that the media refuses to run with this story? It's so blatantly wrong for Obama to do this sort of campaigning. And now the Obama Bus Tour is to be paid for by the U.S. taxpayers? www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by foood4thought
This is a technicality, in comparison to something like torture, which is clearly illegal.

So if they got away with torture, they'e going to get away with recording a video in the White House.

Meanwhile, if you're black, you'll be in prison for 20 years for drugs.

The elite are above the law. Sad but true.

Tell that to Bernie Maddoff

Above the law
....oh wait

top topics

join