It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7,500 earthquakes shake resolve in NZealand city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

Seismologists have recorded 7,500 earthquakes in Christchurch since September — an average of more than 20 a day. The rumblings are rattling the psyche of the still-battered city. They have left the land under thousands of homes unsafe to build on. Some people have left town entirely. Yet many have proven resilient, and some now see a reconstruction boom on the horizon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chinapost.com.tw
earthquake.usgs.gov

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Wow! 20 EQ's a day for almost a year? I understand that active fault lines often have many micro-quakes but 20 a day? I would say that it is an understatement calling the New Zealand EQ the disaster the world forgot.
The story does have some good news as the city looks to rebuild.
Check out the USGS link for some eye opening, real time statistics.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
yeah thats a lot of quakes.

check this map.
Earth quake map

edit: oops...you already have this link. sorry
edit on 19-7-2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This is a good real time quake map of Christchurch and its environs. It really makes your own bones shudder as each quake happens.....and yes.....WHY have these poor people been forgotten about by MSM?? It's a disgrace! Not only that, I don't hear of our government helping them out in any way? Yes we'll send £650m to Pakistan for education programme.....what about OUR education programme? And then another £60 odd million to the Spaniards for not eating their so called E-Coli infected cucumbers!!! It's barmy! And yet we forget about the Kiwi's.....appalling beyond belief!

here's the link

www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Thanks for the Christchurch EQ link Angel. It is a complete shame that the only thing i could find lately in the MSM was this article. The world has forgotten and it makes you ask yourself what the attention span of the average human being is? I understand that most people get their news from the MSM, but it is a disturbing trend we are experiencing in the form of Instant Awe then Apathy!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
i never had any ideal the west coast of the us had so many quakes

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Has it not got to do with the city´s name ChristChurch?

What do Gods think about our Christian Church, worshipping their God while he is nailed to a cross? Master Li Hongzhi has said that this symbol is unacceptable to Gods.

Is there not a famous prophecy that states that all crosses shall be torn down during the Great Judgment?

Christchurch sure looks like a good sign of things to come.

Just my two cents, no truth offered whatsoever.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Gaussq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
This is a good real time quake map of Christchurch and its environs. It really makes your own bones shudder as each quake happens.....and yes.....WHY have these poor people been forgotten about by MSM?? It's a disgrace! Not only that, I don't hear of our government helping them out in any way? Yes we'll send £650m to Pakistan for education programme.....what about OUR education programme? And then another £60 odd million to the Spaniards for not eating their so called E-Coli infected cucumbers!!! It's barmy! And yet we forget about the Kiwi's.....appalling beyond belief!

here's the link

www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz...

Rainbows
Jane

What are you thinking (Sarcasm) New Zealand is a white country, we'll only send things to underprivileged brown people

I know it is absolutely barmy, it's mental yet our government sees nothing!

So sorry for anybody living there

If I had money I would evacuate half the city.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
Thanks for the Christchurch EQ link Angel. It is a complete shame that the only thing i could find lately in the MSM was this article. The world has forgotten and it makes you ask yourself what the attention span of the average human being is? I understand that most people get their news from the MSM, but it is a disturbing trend we are experiencing in the form of Instant Awe then Apathy!
Friends, welcome to the world of spin and censorship; the poor Kiwis are one example of being swept under the rug; when was the last time you heard much about Fukushima and the meltdowns still in progress? Hmm? It appears that the average citizen is so pre-occupied with paying the bills and surviving the economic fiasco around the world that little time is left to focus on anything outside their immediate surroundings...

The winds of change have been blowing for quite some time now, and the gusts are increasing...

seeker

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think its odd that the quoted paragraph speaks about how many ChristChurch has had and are still having yet about to see a rebuild boom. WTH? Seriously how would one build again when they are still happening and the land is not stable enough to build on. It makes no sense to rebuild while having 20 EQ's a day.....or......did I miss something???

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I read somewhere very recently that you cannot get house insurance in that area anymore.....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626

news.yahoo.com

Seismologists have recorded 7,500 earthquakes in Christchurch since September — an average of more than 20 a day. The rumblings are rattling the psyche of the still-battered city. They have left the land under thousands of homes unsafe to build on. Some people have left town entirely. Yet many have proven resilient, and some now see a reconstruction boom on the horizon.

Related News Links:
www.chinapost.com.tw
earthquake.usgs.gov

Nothing to see here folks this is perfectly normal of course.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Things do not look good for Christchurch, it seems like the shaking should have stopped by now. It would be a hard decision, how do you know when to leave the city you call home. What if you plan to leave and the earthquakes stop, maybe everyone is just hoping that things go back to normal soon.

However, this year has been anything but "normal". It seems like we will hear about these disasters for a few days, then you never hear an update, so everyone assumes that everything is cleaned up and fixed. The earthquakes in Christchurch have to stop at some point, so hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Aren't they fracking off the coast down there? Wouldn't that explain a lot of the smaller EQ's?

Yes they are! here we go....
thejackalman.blogspot.com...

and some more
www.gisborneherald.co.nz...

there are other links too if anybody just wants to google it!

Rainbows
jane
edit on 19-7-2011 by angelchemuel because: Found links!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The fracking doesn't explain the earthquakes here as it's occurring too far away (other the OTHER island). The shaking can be explained by very old faults with long return periods being activated, mainly by the September 2010 quake.

Dr Quigs

CERA

Geonet : Canterbury earthquakes

Yep, it's a bit shaky at the moment, but I'm feeling less and less all the time. I don't even get much of an adrenalin rush anymore and rarely move for anything under a Mag 4.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Yeah I agree with Aoraki. I don't feel anything larger than a 4.5 though. I was over on the eastside of town earlier this evening and you guys should see the roads. Everything needs to be repaved. We're due for another biggy any day now! Cheers for keeping an eye on us though !

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yep, I'm 'eastish'. There is dust everywhere as a result of the liquefaction and the roads are 'munted' as we say here!

There's a big southerly storm coming this weekend with the potential for snow down to sea level and low temperatures. A lot of people are struggling with heating already so spare your thoughts for them this weekend.

While we're still not out of the main aftershock phase (pers comm. Prof Jarg Pettinga) there is a general tailing off so hopefully we don't get another 'big one'. It's still relatively possible however.

edit on 20-7-2011 by aorAki because: sp

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Mate, if there is anything you ever need, just say, I'm pretty sure i can get people to help out and give heaters and such. I hate the cold so damn much!

Yeah to be honest, i find it's been too quiet. I hate this suspense. It's killing everyone in the city. Every time a truck goes past we freeze. Earthquakes are natural torture.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Fella, we're all good here. If it gets too cold then we can snuggle up to the dogs.

It's great how the majority are banding together here, in times of adversity. The community spirit, on the whole has improved, though The Press prefers to focus on moaners.

top topics

join