It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shotgun helps 77yr old Congressman fight off home invasion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Thankfully people can still arm themselves to protect from this growing epidemic of home invasions. Seems like there is at least one a day now. While the Congressman, a Veteran, attacked and grappled with the gunman - his grandson grabbed one of the Congressman's loaded shotguns and without firing, frightened the intruder off with it. Unfortunately the intruder is still at large.

CBS News Chan 12 CBS 12.com. Although this happened early this month (there's even a video re-inactment) I did not see a thread on it here in a search. I did not use all possible combinations of search terms though so hope this isn't a repost.

77 year old congressman Leonard Boswell of Decatur County Iowa, fights off a home invasion.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

"The congressman says the military is the best training for situations like this," said Woodard, referring to Boswell's 20-year military career. "It's a wakeup call to everybody to take precautions and do what they need to do to keep their family safe."

The attack occurred around 10:45 p.m. on Saturday (July 9th) at a farm in Lamoni, where Rep. Leonard Boswell, a 77-year-old Democrat who represents Iowa's third congressional district, was spending the weekend with his wife, Dody, 77, daughter, Cynthia Brown, and grandson, Mitchell Brown, 22.

"The intruder entered the front door of the farm house and physically assaulted Cindy while demanding money at gunpoint," read the statement from Boswell's office. After hearing his daughter's screams, the congressman "entered the walkway of their house and immediately went for the guy's gun and was wrestling with him. They were both on the ground," Boswell's chief of staff Grant Woodard told local news station KCCI. While the two scuffled, Boswell's grandson Mitchell grabbed a loaded .12-gauge shotgun from a nearby room and confronted the intruder, who then fled into the surrounding field and reportedly was still on the run.

edit on 19-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Should've stayed at their gated community home and this home invasion wouldn't have happened so early in the game. Poverty breeds crime, politicorporations breed poverty. Profit from pushing the boulder down the slope, don't be surprised to see your interests ran over by sheer inertia.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978
Should've stayed at their gated community home and this home invasion wouldn't have happened so early in the game. Poverty breeds crime, politicorporations breed poverty. Profit from pushing the boulder down the slope, don't be surprised to see your interests ran over by sheer inertia.

No this guy would not be happy a gated community. They are ok for a certain type person and they even are in demand by them but this is an independent military man. Not the gated community type. Nothing surprises me. I am not surprise-able. You can awe-strike me but not shock.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
At least he's not one those "what's good for me is dangerous for you" hypocrites.
www.ontheissues.org...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
No this guy would not be happy (in) a gated community. They are ok for a certain type person and they even are in demand by them but this is an independent military man. Not the gated community type.

Sort of an odd assertion, considering most military men live on a military base, which is, in fact, a gated community.

I'm glad no-one got injured by the home invading slug. A shotgun is a great attention getter.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
HOORAY!!!!!

EXCELLENT!!! Another dirtbag intruder stopped from terrorizing a family due to an ARMED homeowner!!!

If it wasnt for this shotgun, the news report very likely would have been about an innocent family being beaten, raped, and then killed.

But our anti-gun knuckleheads among us would rather have seen the family terrorized, beaten, raped, and then murdered because "guns are SO bad". PATHETIC!!!!!

edit on 19-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
What? He used a gun? How dishonorable, how unfair! He should have just gone ninja on this guy and kicked his ass one-on-one like all these anti-gun types on ATS would have been able to do. Its so easy, any 80 year old can do it!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

He's 77. He's a US Congressman. He was in the military for years - but he is not in the military now. In any event, there are millions of people that do not live in gated communities. According the article this was a farmhouse.

For what its worth from the source in the OP.

Boswell lives in Des Moines and owns the farm in southern Iowa. He is recovering from a broken rib suffered during the incident. "I wanted a piece of him. He was threatening somebody I care for very much," Boswell told reporters at a Statehouse

I have to admire the old guy's grit.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

Originally posted by newcovenant
No this guy would not be happy (in) a gated community. They are ok for a certain type person and they even are in demand by them but this is an independent military man. Not the gated community type.

Sort of an odd assertion, considering most military men live on a military base, which is, in fact, a gated community.
I'm glad no-one got injured by the home invading slug. A shotgun is a great attention getter.

I am just guessing. It isn't that "odd" though. You spend so many years living in a group setting, in a confined area, I think as civilians you would want your wide open spaces. That is what you are fighting for after all ranges and plains...not to live in a box.
Living on the base I can't see them wanting to get back to the communal living. Besides ordinary civilians as a group are much different to be around than your fellow soldiers.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Theres no need for them to be in a gated community, thats just ignorant. This woman and her husband have lived there for over 30 years, never having a problem. I'm from Iowa and there arent a whole lot of breaking and entering in small towns.Yes it's a shame that there was an intrusion but that doesnt mean it couldn't happen to you. Best dig a mote around your house

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFungi
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Theres no need for them to be in a gated community, thats just ignorant. This woman and her husband have lived there for over 30 years, never having a problem. I'm from Iowa and there arent a whole lot of breaking and entering in small towns.Yes it's a shame that there was an intrusion but that doesnt mean it couldn't happen to you. Best dig a mote around your house

More thievery around here these days. I've actually given the mote idea some consideration. A wall and a tower was in that idea too.

top topics

join