It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newborn Wildlife Abandoned Because of Heat, Drought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Newborn Wildlife Abandoned Because of Heat, Drought

www.nbcdfw.com

The extreme heat and persistent drought seen in much of Texas is taking its toll on wildlife, with deer, birds and other animals abandoning or unable to feed their young.

Pregnant does are having problems carrying fawns to term, and most of them born prematurely aren't surviving, according to the Texas AgriLife Extension Service.

"With the drought, there is no feed for the mother deer. And if they can't feed, they can't produce milk. They can't feed their babies, so they are leaving them,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
was just poking around to see what the latest news was in regards to the drought and viola -animal sacrifices!

not really looking to debate where rain comes from or anything like that just passing along some news

found this comment worthy of repeat-
People are so disconnected with nature it is killing me lately!

www.nbcdfw.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 18-7-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

I had never considered that angle, wow. I was gonna do a thread on the drought, but I will post the info here instead.

Climatologists call drought a “creeping disaster” because its effects are not felt at once. Others compare drought to a python, which slowly and inexorably squeezes its prey to death.

The great aridification of 2011 began last fall; now temperatures in many states have spiked to more than 100 degrees for days at a stretch. A high pressure system has stalled over the middle of the country, blocking cool air from the north. Texas and New Mexico are drier than in any year on record.

www.nytimes.com...

Aridification huh? sounds worse than drought, with more lasting effects.

spec

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
thanks for the info it's very interesting to say the least and literally hits home since have spent most my days on earth between the two yet when talking possible implications and long term-

Among the states, Texas is ranked #1 for total livestock and livestock product receipts. It's ranked #2 for total agricultural receipts, behind California.

In terms of revenue generated, Texas's top five agricultural products are beef cattle and calves, cotton, broilers (young chickens), greenhouse and nursery products, and diary products.
www.netstate.com...

Approximately 40% of America's oil comes from domestic oil fields in states like Texas, Alaska, and California.

The New Mexico chile industry contributes about 400 million annually to the New Mexico economy; 66 percent of that industry is based in southern New Mexico and creates about 4,500 jobs annually. The New Mexico onion industry is a major supplier in the entire United States for onions that are consumed in the summer months.

New Mexico is the largest producing state of pecans, and Doña Ana County is the top producer of chile peppers and pecans in the entire United States. New Mexico is also the seventh-largest producing state in the nation for dairy products. Other major agriculture industries in Doña Ana County include pima cotton, corn, chile and hay.

Doña Ana County is among the leading state producers of cabbage, lettuce and watermelons, and leads the state in the production of onion and pima cotton.
www.villageprofile.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Here in North Central Florida they are saying our aquifier is broken. BROKEN. Our lakes, rivers and springs are going dry and the gators are looking for water. It is not a good sign. I don't believe the situtation has been this bad before. Hasn't it been said water will become more precious then oil?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBirdSaid

"BROKEN" -where's CREATORS SUPPLY INC. anyway?
have heard about the water thing also and yes thos things no sound no jueno

Florida produces 70% of the annual US production of citrus. About 95% of commercial orange
production in the state is destined for processing, mostly as orange juice.
• Greenhouse and nursery products are Florida’s top leading crops financially yielding $1.93 billion
in 2008. Florida ranks 2nd nationally for these products.
• Florida ranks 2nd in US production of fresh vegetables and provides 80% of the fresh vegetables
consumed in the US during January, February, and March each year.
• Florida ranks 4th in the southeast and 11th nationally in the production of beef calves.
• Florida is consistently ranked in the top 12 states in fresh seafood production.
www.agclassroom.org...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I had someone who raises cattle tell just yearterday the reason the price of beef is so high is because there is a shortage on cattle due to drought, lack of hay etc.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

can't imagine this for my tacos, hopefully things'll start getting better

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rustami

"BROKEN" -where's CREATORS SUPPLY INC. anyway?
have heard about the water thing also and yes thos things no sound no jueno

Florida produces 70% of the annual US production of citrus. About 95% of commercial orange
production in the state is destined for processing, mostly as orange juice.
• Greenhouse and nursery products are Florida’s top leading crops financially yielding $1.93 billion
in 2008. Florida ranks 2nd nationally for these products.
• Florida ranks 2nd in US production of fresh vegetables and provides 80% of the fresh vegetables
consumed in the US during January, February, and March each year.
• Florida ranks 4th in the southeast and 11th nationally in the production of beef calves.
• Florida is consistently ranked in the top 12 states in fresh seafood production.
www.agclassroom.org...

I find this clip ASTONISHING - because the Florida I grew up in was COVERED with citrus - NO MORE - only 30% of the areas citrus is again in production after devastating freeze in the late 80s and 90s. We lost virtually all of our citrus and the big juice plants are no more.

I don't know what is happening down here, but it is very sad to see. Dry docks, dry creeks, and diminished and polluted springs. Tragic as it is else where in the country.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

dunno? believe I saw a 2008 in there
somewhere

top topics

join