It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you really know what a hologram is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I am sure you have heard of holograms, but do you know anything about the science behind them? Because it's pretty cool.

I am reading a fascinating book called The Holographic Universe. I dont want to talk about the holographic universe theory in this thread! I just wanted to post some excerpts from the beginning of the book which explain the basics of a hologram is and how they're made, just because it's really interesting stuff. Sorry, I don't have the raw text, I have to post images and it's kinda hard to read.

Well, that's it, just thought it was worth sharing. If you have any scientific articles or information about holograms, please feel free to post it. I would like to keep this thread on the fact side of things instead of the theories and philosophies of the holographic mind/universe because that is a totally different discussion, thanks.
edit on 18-7-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

I'm actually glad you posted this because the only thing I know about holograms is from Star Trek Next Gen

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm currently reading the same book and I found how holograms are created fascinating. My first question when I read this was 'who thought of this?' It's so simple yet so mind blowing to be almost impossible for anyone to have thought this would work.
Anyway those are my thoughts, I'm curious to see what others think.
S & F

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
To project three dimensions one would have to record three dimensions as well, right. That or create the third dimension, but without all the information the object would not appear correctly. So, in theory, the only real three dimensional recorder is an mcat machine or some kind of sonar recorder, the sonar is still really just a multi layer two-dimensional image. This would he interesting to see but the technology will be trumped by reality simulation and projection by a quantum computing system. Holographic Imageing and recording would really just be a step backwards and a waste of scientific resources

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoyDreamer
I'm currently reading the same book and I found how holograms are created fascinating. My first question when I read this was 'who thought of this?' It's so simple yet so mind blowing to be almost impossible for anyone to have thought this would work.
Anyway those are my thoughts, I'm curious to see what others think.
S & F

"It's so simple yet so mind blowing to be almost impossible for anyone to have thought this would work." Haha, thats exactly what I thought too

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The easier way to create three dimensional projections (hologram) would be distance specific laser technology projected into a fog/humidity box with transparent walls. Could also use a block of translucent glass. Basically, some piece of matter would have to be used to reflect the light, I guess it could also be possible to use lasers and have their light collide at certain points to scatter the photons which could, with many lasers and many collisions, create a three dimensional image.
edit on 18-7-2011 by DarkSarcasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I actually just found about about this japanese hologram pop singer..if it's real all i have to say is wow.
(had to mute the song though..sheesh)

edit on 18-7-2011 by StripedBandit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

Thanks for posting that.

That's one thing I always think about, whenever I see people talking about "holographic aeroplanes", "holographic UFOs", "holographic whatever": have they ever seen a real hologram?

I saw several some years ago on a museum, and although they were very impressive (yes, they really give the idea of a 3D scene, and that scene can be "behind" or "in front" of the face of the hologram), they were limited to a specific lighting, and the angle of view was limited.

But has this was some 15 or 20 years ago, I think things may have advanced since then.

new topics

top topics

join