It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange smell that comes to me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hey all. I'm needing some help with something that could just be some minor medical thing or something else. But, over the course of my life I have had this smell come to me at random times. I cannot describe this smell very well but I can say that it smells sort of like a chemical substance. It has an odor that isn't very strong but is very noticeable to me. Sorry that I cannot be helpful in that regard. It really is unknown to me what it is.

Anyway, when this smell comes to me I have this moment, like with deja vu, where everything around me comes to a stop and I have this moment of clarity and peer into my past. I know I have smelled this before in my childhood and it was in my deceased grandparent's old house. I was maybe 4 years old or younger when I smelled it. I know that scent is connected to our memories (the smell of roses makes me think of my grandparent's funerals) but, in this case the smell is not coming from something around me. It just pops up out of nowhere in my nose and makes me feel slightly light-headed. When I smell it I think of a time that my Aunt put this very small green glass bottle to my nose for me to smell. I can't remember what it was because it was so long ago.

Sorry for such a long post. I just wanted to get enough detail in to my post.

Also, this house was the setting of a dream I had at 4 that I remember vividly to this day and I am now 26. It was terrible nightmare and won't go into it at this time. But, whatever you believe about hauntings in houses I believe that this one was most definitely haunted.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

Olfactory Hallucinations.
I was diagnosed with that once.
You never know with these doctors.
Something might have been there smelling like blood, I just couldn't find it.

If you feel a certain smell that doesn’t really exist that is called olfactory hallucination. Olfactory hallucination can be a result of nose disorders (inflammation), neurological disorders (brain tumor, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis…) or certain psychiatric issues. If there isn’t any ENT or any neurological disorder the only possibility left is a psychiatric disorder. You could consult an ENT and neurologist about your problem. Read more: Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum - Olfactory hallucinations ehealthforum.com...

edit on 18-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

And there's

Many people are sensitive to certain smells, but in an olfactory hallucination (phantosmia), you detect smells that aren't really present in your environment. The odors detected in phantosmia vary from person to person and may be foul or pleasant. They can occur in one or both nostrils and usually can't be masked by food. Phantosmia most often occurs as a result of a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine, Parkinson's disease and stroke. Because phantosmia can be an indication of a serious illness, consult your doctor if you experience such symptoms. www.mayoclinic.com...

Smell is the oldest of our senses. When you smell you send information directly to the brain and it triggers memories associated with the smell that can make you travel into back times. But those are real smells that are present and not imaginary smells. The place you transport to in your mind is imaginary based on a real memory of a real time that existed in your experience.
edit on 18-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
might be the dog.
mine always gets me...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I experience the same thing although I am unable to associate it with anything. When it comes on it's for maybe a second or 2 and almost feels like everything stops in my mind. I remind myself to try to analyze it but when it happens it seems to absorb all of my attention and focus.

Very difficult thing to explain or describe because you can't really relate it to any other feeling or smell.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for that. Although this smell occurs for a few seconds at most and then goes away for months or even years at a time.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

Haha. No. It's not my dogs. I've only had them since December and having been experiencing this most of my life.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Exactly. I'm not sure what to make of it at all and it is gone almost as soon as it appears.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
PM sent.

Not going to put alot of effort into a thread thats going to attract asses like flies to poo.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
maybe it is a spirit trying to interact.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Before I answer what I think it is......please answer me this question...what kind of a relationship did you have with your aunt?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

edit on 18-7-2011 by caladonea because: double post...sorry

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I mean this with all honesty, but you're also describing a petite mal.
Might want to see a doc. Does epilepsy run in the family?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Well, she babysat me for some reason at times for various reasons. I had trouble with my parents at the time. Apparently, my aunt would whisper things in my ear like my mother was dead and that I should live with her. I remember that I told my parents that I wanted to live with her and that caused me a lot of grief with my parents. My mom freaked out a few times when my aunt watched me and took me places because I was supposed to tell her that I was just to be watched and not taken anywhere.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Not that I know of, honestly. Mostly heart problems and diabetes.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

Well, she babysat me for some reason at times for various reasons. I had trouble with my parents at the time. Apparently, my aunt would whisper things in my ear like my mother was dead and that I should live with her. I remember that I told my parents that I wanted to live with her and that caused me a lot of grief with my parents. My mom freaked out a few times when my aunt watched me and took me places because I was supposed to tell her that I was just to be watched and not taken anywhere.

Hi...(again) you said your Aunt (apparently would whisper things to you..) so you are not sure? You don't have exact memories of your Aunt whispering to you? or.....Did someone tell you your Aunt did this? Also...do you have good memories of your Aunt?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Had a girlfriend who was a diabetic
If her blood sugar shot up she gave off the odor of ACETONE
This is the same chemical found in fingernail polish remover.
Smell that ..if its the same odor ..Get yourself to a doctor and get checked ..you may be Diabetic
Find a bottle of polish remover containing acetone,,see if the smell is the same.
Your descriptinn of what happenes when you smell this odor seems like ketone acidoses..Diabetic !!
edit on 18-7-2011 by granpabobby because: (no reason given)

The odor was given out by her breath .
edit on 18-7-2011 by granpabobby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I randomly smell lilacs.

That is a weird one, and it always stops me in my tracks.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

Hi...(again) you said your Aunt (apparently would whisper things to you..) so you are not sure? You don't have exact memories of your Aunt whispering to you? or.....Did someone tell you your Aunt did this? Also...do you have good memories of your Aunt?

Yes, apparently she would do that. I remember telling my mom and dad that she did. I don't remember it very well but my mom told me years ago that my aunt would whisper in my ear that I should live with her and that my mom was dead and such. I don't look back on that time happily as it was a great stress to my mom and I was just a small child who thought it was cool that my aunt would let me do whatever I wanted to.

I don't know how to describe how I feel about my aunt but something about her relationship with me as a child certainly bothers me now.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

Nah. I've been to the hospital recently for blood work for a stomach ailment. If I were diabetic they would have found that out for me.

Also, this is just a smell that doesn't linger more than a few seconds and comes to me over months and years. It's not consistent.
edit on 7/18/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I think that the smell is connected to your Aunt....and your past with her as a young child.....Is she still alive?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join