It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People pay to become slaves, Universities used to increase immigration.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I saw this article yesterday, and was shocked to see this happening.

www.mercurynews.com...

With his new student visa, Prasanth Goinaka was on a path toward his dream: an MBA from an American university in the heart of Silicon Valley.
That's why his parents back in India were stunned when their 28-year-old son was killed while manning a cash register at a convenience store in Oklahoma City -- 1,500 miles from campus.
A Bay Area News Group investigation has found that Goinaka -- as well as thousands of other foreign students enrolled in schools here -- probably should not have been in the country at all. They're being lured by unaccredited universities that promise help getting a prized student visa. But it turns out that these universities' legal right to assist with visas is in question.
Once here, students like Goinaka often have to go to extraordinary lengths to pay the bill.

A decade after terrorists in the country on student visas carried out the Sept. 11 attacks, the Department of Homeland Security -- the very agency established to oversee a tougher visa system -- endorses universities that should be ineligible to issue the necessary certificate...

Tri-Valley University was on that list even as federal agents were raiding the school in January on widespread allegations of visa fraud and alien harboring that left 1,500 foreign students in legal limbo and sparked violent protests in India.

Something else authorities found suspicious: More than 550 students enrolled in the Alameda County university were registered as living at the same address: a two-bedroom apartment on El Camino Real in Sunnyvale.

So how do schools that exist to provide student visas get away with it? U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein and other lawmakers are exploring just that, and they're beginning to demand answers. "These sham universities "... operate solely for the purpose of manipulating immigration law to admit foreign nationals into the country," Feinstein and three other senators wrote in a March letter to Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services that cited the Tri-Valley University allegations.

Decades ago when Nannapaneni left India to study at Boston University, far fewer universities were approved to accept international students, he said; now, federal data show that 10,000 schools do. In the five-year period that ended in 2009, foreigners in the country on student visas jumped 55 percent to more than 950,000. In the past, these universities were academically rigorous, he said, carefully checking applicants to make sure they were qualified.

Another remnant from the GW admin. At least something is being done now to stop this.

How is it profitable for a student in San Jose California., to get a job in a dollar store in Virginia?

This screams of modern day slavery, except the slaves actually pay to come to the U.S. to be slaves.

Where are those 500 students who all supposedly live at a two bedroom apartment?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I don't think your link works. It doesn't for me. Great find, & again I am disgusted with the USA

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I live in Oman, where Indians (and Pakistanis, and Bangladeshis, and Sri Lankans, and...) come here and work as virtual slaves.

The hardest jobs are in the brutal heat and long hours doing construction type jobs with no safety gear. There are no numbers for how many die every year. Safety regulations, few though they are, are completely ignored (and not enforced by the government).

Those jobs pay about $150 US per month. I've read interviews where workers said the money was being used to support older family members, send children to college.

My full-time housemaid makes around $400 US per month, a king's ransom for India. She supports several people at home, and is paying a mortgage on a home there.

A worker who managed to get to the US and work as a convenience store clerk? He'll clear more EVERY HOUR than the guys here make EVERY DAY. And he will be treated like a human being. I can totally see how it's worth the risk to try to get to America for them.

However bad the situation may be in the USA, it is probably worlds better than they would find at home, or anywhere else in the world. Unfortunately.
edit on 18-7-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Hmm, I tested it, and it works for me.

The title of the article, which I should have posted, sorry, is,

Universities or Visa Mills?

By Lisa M. Krieger

At the San Jose Mercury News.

Here is the link again,

www.mercurynews.com...

If that doesn't work, you can always google the story with this information.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If you will edit your link to THIS it will work on the click-through.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

This is the part that really makes me wonder.

Something else authorities found suspicious: More than 550 students enrolled in the Alameda County university were registered as living at the same address: a two-bedroom apartment on El Camino Real in Sunnyvale.

Where are those 500 people?

The guy working in the Convenient Store, probably in a very bad neighborhood, was probably sharing a room with several other people, and they might be the lucky ones. How many got shipped off to work farms picking tobacco, or other brutal work.

What do the women wind up doing?

It has already been reported that illegals are being pushed into slavery, is this now happening with college students?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Thanks, I was looking at that. I guess it has that ending because I found the article in a search.

I wonder how this looks.

www.mercurynews.com...

This story should be getting a lot more attention.

It is a very lopsided world when people are willing to go this far just to come to the U.S., but all the while, this level of immigration is driving down the living standard in the U.S., and soon, things will be just as bad here as in the third world. Which is exactly what the elites want.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
You would be amazed at how many student visas we issue per year. It's INSANE. There is no reason for us to be admitting this many foreign students into our medical and engineering schools while native born American students have to go on a waiting list. My sister has been on a waiting list to get into medical school for over a year now, and if you look the graduation pamphlets at least half the students are from India or China.

In 2010 the United States issued 385,210 student visas and a further 25,210 visas to family members of those students.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This is terrible!! For safety reasons I wouldn't let my son get a job like that. Yes, I believe that this is a form of worker abuse. Whoever owns these businesses gets a supply of cheap labor.

In the five-year period that ended in 2009, foreigners in the country on student visas jumped 55 percent to more than 950,000. In the past, these universities were academically rigorous, he said, carefully checking applicants to make sure they were qualified.

There are and always have been people who seek out every angle to scam their fellow man out of $. Scammers and con men. Some find/create legal loopholes, as in Washington, while others act illegally, as these "University" people.

In a thread I started a while back here, I cited a PDF link that revealed the scam and abuse of foreign teacher hiring.

What do all these people do when their Visa runs out? They end up working here illegally. But, yeah, drown guvment in a bathtub till it ceases to function properly in a 21st cen increasingly complex world, then open up labor markets freely as these scammers have done. Anyone willing to work the cheapest is hired.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Sadly or university system has become just another scam. Just another of the many methods of getting people trapped into cradle to grave debt.

To the people who come here, it is still a great deal, but to the people of the U.S. it is a complete scam. There is no reason why we couldn't all be living much better lives, but this is a new low. These peoples families scraped and saved to send their best kid to the U.S. for an education, most likely hoping he will then bring all of them to the states.

Then that kid gets farmed out to some slave labor camp.

Far be it that these places should have to pay a wage high enough to get someone who is not trapped in a slave labor contract, to take the job.

It is down right despicable. That is free market principles in action, commonly referred to screw thy neighbor.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Regarding where all those people are...

When I was in college I worked in a Black-Eyed Pea that employed a kitchen staff that was almost entirely Guatemalans, and all related to each other or knew each other from home. When the manager needed someone new, he would ask one of them, "do you have a cousin who needs a job?" I saw this happen myself.

The city law was that no more than 5 unrelated people could live together in a dwelling, but they lived 20+ in studio-sized apartments with no furniture, only home for their sleep shift, on pallets on the floor. Occasionally one of these places would be found out & busted.

Here the south Asians live in compounds. Their living space is no larger than the space it would take one person to sleep. Men have different ideas about personal space and will sleep as close together as a married couple. I've seen four men sleeping in a room smaller than a king-sized bed.

In the work compounds here it is common for the workers to be fed nothing but rice and lentil beans, day after day. They are sometimes only fed once per day, and doing backbreaking labor all day long. Many of them look like walking skeletons.

I want badly to blog honestly about this, but I'm afraid my husband will lose his work visa (and thus his job) if I do.

Any time we have work done at the house, we feed them. They are making $150/month, working 6 days/week (sometimes more), and food here is very expensive, much more expensive than the USA.

And they like to come here because the treatment here is better than in most of the middle east. I shudder to think what conditions are like other places. I've heard that in the UAE they aren't fed as part of their job, and sometimes starve to death trying to send money home.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Another remnant from the GW admin. At least something is being done now to stop this.

Deny Ignorance.

This began in the administration BEFORE GW,that of Bill Clinton his administration was the one that opened our universities and institutions of "indoctrination" to all who had the money to attend.That is when all these fly by night schools popped up across the nation.

The border patrol has caught almost 3000 people from India coming across the border since 2009.

You can read it yourself here or here.

It is a sad state of affairs when Americans cannot get in to institutions of higher indoctrination because the facilities are allowing foreign citizens to be indoctrinated first because their countries and citizens pay more.

At least someone is waking up to realize they are being screwed by their own government.

Democrat or Republican they are ALL corrupt and have no interest in the future generations who will suffer the consequences of their actions.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Yeah, the big part of immigration that the liberals want to ignore.

In their desire to be the kindly masters, they forgot that most of the new masters of the immigrant slaves are not kindly.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IamJustanAmerican

Ok, you got a point, Clinton was all too eager to please SV and approve all those h1B visas.

But you got to admit it went insane under GW.

it is the ole one two punch, see my signature.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm going to say that the fraud and abuse in the US has grown exponentially for a couple reasons: globalization allowing for legal and illegal labor, and the internet. Govt oversight/enforcement has not kept up with the growing globalization, amidst cries to "make govt smaller".

Up until the mid 1980s, I saw govt agencies round up illegal workers. After that, even with Reagan's Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, it seems that govt enforcement backed off, and with a wink and a nod, US businesses not only continued to employ illegal labor but govt looked the other way. Laid off citizens along with an increasing pool of workers who were willing to work for low wages and without workplace regulations kept corporate profits up during the 1980s recession, which was created to stem the 1970s inflation.

Liberals did complain about the meat packing industry busting unions using ilegal immigrants, but with public sentiments being set against unions, the union busting with illegals continued. The news media focused instead on liberal sympathy for the way illegals entered the country, across a hot desert or crammed into cargo holds and containers, or the fact that some of these illegal workers came from Central American countries with which the US was conducting "low intensity conflicts", ie wars.

These sham "universities" are set up to make money off international applicants, who then end up in low paying jobs, and I'll go out on a limb here, but, probably working in businesses owned by prior visa holders from the applicant's country. As I said, all this has been because govt enforcement seems to have been deliberately lessened over the years, not going so far as to set a fox to guard the hen house but rather deliberately starving and rendering ineffective those who should, in order to make the economy better for the wealth holders.

Here's a "university" that doesn't even exist, just to con people out of money. Again, another example of how the internet has made scams and cons easier to do.

Oh, one interesting bit of history. Until Ronald Reagan became governor, California was proud of its free system of higher education. He instituted, not taxes, but student "fees". And talk about a slippery slope since! These "fees" became another way to go after middle class wealth, especially when govt loans became privatized.

It's not uncommon for a middle class student to come out of college with a debt of $100,000+. Any chance of this student getting a well paying job to afford to begin paying off student loans, or being able to buy a house to help out the construction industry is just about non-existent.

Oh, one more thing, unrelated to topic...the Mercury News cited for this thread was the same publication that ran Gary Webb's "Dark alliance" in 1996, about Reagan's Contras and coc aine. Wikipedia article for Gary Webb Too bad ATS wasn't around at the time
A search here would draw up some related threads, though, on the topic.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

The Merc also ran an excellent series of articles abut how numerous Silicon Valley entrepreneurs were cheated out of the wealth of the companies they created, by crooked law firms and very shady, wealthy investors who wrote good faith clauses that they then exploited to push out the company founder, and sieze all the wealth created by the entrepreneur who started the company.

These are very ruthless people.

I think people see the topic, and refuse to face the reality, but it is happening in more and more frequent numbers.

Things are so bad in these third world nations, because the people who run those nations are extremely ruthless, and care nothing about other people, and especially nothing about individual rights. Who winds up going to the university in third world nations?

Tigers do not change their stripes.

They forge alliances with like minded people here.

These people do not want workers, they want servants, they want slaves.

edit on 20-7-2011 by poet1b because: clear up poor wording in opening paragraph.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I would love to read that article, poet, if you can provide a link or maybe a time frame I could search for. Yes, ruthless is a good word to use.

I think most Americans today have lived lives blissfully unaware of the extent of corruption and ruthlessness, both abroad and here. They naively believed if a local business, or the nation, displayed an Ichthys, that the business or nation was trustworthy, incapable of taking advantage. One's fellow man woud not take advantage of another fellow, especially in America. Somehow America would change those who arrive here. But as you put it, "They forge alliances with like minded people here."

This thread made me think back to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977. Then I thought about globalization since then, which made me think about the growth of that old, Main Street, "trustworthy" Chamber of Commerce. Trouble is, one's local CofC bears no resemblance to the int'l institution.

Then I found this this and this article, which brings it round to Murdoch's News Corp.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

Thinks for the reply, and the links, I will check them out when I get the chance.

I did a short search, didn't find it, can't remember the title of the series of articles. I think time frame 97 or 98, about
Silicon Valley venture capitalist. Maybe I will remember the name of the series of articles later.

top topics

join