It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something doesn't add up.. Meteor Impact

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
There are some open facts I need to bring on this thread.. first how big is the crater coming from a meteor that weighs approx 11 pounds on impact ? well I tried with the least possible values based on what was shown to the media and these are the results..

Results for computing crater size from projectile diameter Your Inputs: Projectile Descriptors Projectile Diameter 0.10 meters Projectile Density 1000 kg/m3 Impact Conditions Impact Velocity 17 km/sec Impact Angle 45 degrees Target Descriptors Target Density 1000 kg/m3 Acceleration of Gravity 9.8 m/sec2 Target Type competent rock or saturated soil Results The three scaling laws yield the following transient crater diameters (note that diameters are measured at the pre-impact surface. Rim-to-rim diameters are about 1.25 times larger!) Yield Scaling 2.59 meters Pi Scaling (Preferred method!) 7.55 meters Gault Scaling 3.21 meters Crater Formation Time 5.16 x 10-1 seconds Using the Pi-scaled transient crater, the final crater is a Simple crater with a rim-to-rim diameter of 1.18 x 101 meters. This impactor would strike the target with an energy of 7.57 x 107 Joules (1.81 x 10-8 MegaTons).

I used 10 cm and substituted rock for ice on this web site ..crater calculation

now if I go with the reports which stated that there was a loud bang and such..

Initially, there were reports of an explosion in Kangundo, Tala, Yatta and Kakuzi before an extra-terrestrial rock fell at around 10 am. Area residents say the loud sound was comparable to a bomb explosion or a crashing aircraft while others felt it was an earthquake. Police and military officers from Thika rushed to the scene at Kiumwiri village, Murang’a county. The military later took away the object for expert analysis. The black smooth rock weighing about five kilos fell at a maize plantation, 60 meters from a nearby homestead, but no one was harmed.

does this video show any crater ??

I think we are being taken for a ride IMHO

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It shows a little ditch, but that's hardly a crater, it would leave a pretty deep hole, especially with the size of that meteor!

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kassych

I think we are being taken for a ride IMHO

well I have to agree, for a 5 pound rock, the dent it made, (if that was the shallow dent next to the meteorite) doesn't fit the weight.

But since we don't know for sure we can only speculate.

The rock itself does look like a 5 pound meteorite though.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Just throwing this out there...I've heard (don't know whether its true though) iron meteorites don't leave craters.
So the question is whats it supposed to compose of?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The rock to me..is suspicious.. what with the corners..I thought when it burns up you do NOT have such corners ??

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
As for your calculation, one problem I see your claim of acceleration at 9.8 m/s*s. I know this is the rate gravity attracts at, but meteors go through a deceleration as the friction of the atmosphere slows them down. Terminal velocity is one example of this. I am not sure of what the exact numbers would be, but it is one thing to think about if things are not adding up.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

That may be the case..but allowing for the reduction in speed, the eye witnesses talk of a shaking and a loud explosion..surely that has to account for something

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
most rocks that come into our atmosphere burn up completely without even striking the earth. (Which are shooting stars) I agree that it is an odd shape for coming from outer space, other space rocks are football or a lot more rounded in shape. the fact that it kinda looks like a cube is weird as #&%! ... As for the impact, if that little dent in the earth was supposedly from the "meteor", I dont know if i buy it.

also, lets assume that the little dent was the impact site... sooo that little dent caused a loud explosion noise? instead of a loud thud? or something?
edit on 18-7-2011 by Gwampo because: forgot something..

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kassych

Dont meteors sometimes explode before they hit the ground, like the Tunguska blast? Maybe this shed some of its mass in the explosion.

No visible signs of fire or heat though

edit on 18-7-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kassych

That may be the case..but allowing for the reduction in speed, the eye witnesses talk of a shaking and a loud explosion..surely that has to account for something

Absolutely, but when looking at the numbers it is important to get all the factors right. Eyewitness statements, seismic data and the impact site all help when finding out exactly what happened. There are quite a few different claims going around and it does take time to sort out the facts from the fiction.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The shape seems very very odd..

The only thing I could think of, is that this is just a piece of a much larger object, that broke up and left a bunch of non-rounded pieces.

Although, if this was the case, you would think there would be two obvious different exteriors on this piece. One burned/scorched/melted finish, and one of just natural rock, that was facing the inside of the larger object.

Unless this is a piece that was completely inside another larger object, which broke apart, but has no burn marks because the exterior pieces that got scorched broke away separately.

Does seem strange though.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
the object in the video looked just like a salt block we put out for our cattle after they've had a chance to lick on it for a while

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

The Tunguska Event didn't hit the ground and then explode - it exploded well above ground.

There are plenty of jagged meteorites. See here.

While the "impact crater" does look pretty pathetic it could very well be legitimate. The desert floor looks hot, compressed and well baked.

I wouldn't call this a hoax or scam outright, because all of the problems people seem to have with this could be legit.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I tried the impact calculator and came up with 5.11mtrs (multiply by 1.25 for rim to rim)

I used a diameter of 20cm and classified it as dense rock.

It would seem to be a fake.

The crater seems to way too small to be a result of the rock shown.

Maybe the impact(if real) was caused by a much smaller meteorite - possibly made of ice - and melted/vapourised upon impact and the rock thought to be the culprit is of terrestrial origin and coincidently, just happened to be at the site.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I think this was posted already:

‘Meteor’ crashes at Kilimambogo

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Reply to post by Backslider

There is no chance a meteor impact of this tiny size would present a crater that looks "hot" or "well baked". Those descriptions are from the idiots who ignorantly perpetuated this ridiculous story and those fools who grew up watching hollywood and figures meteors fall hot...lol.

They don't. Google is your friend...as is common sense, reason and logic. Anybody how understand even basic high school science should be able to laugh at this "event". The fact that .out can explains the sad condition humanity is in right now....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

that is plausible

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

..and the military.. infact ..the meteo guys were no where near..why an army guy can start mis-explaining is beyond me
and they even said that ..

Eyewitnesses stated that the object was spinning on impact when it landed in a cornfield. Police and military officers quickly responded to the scene and found an extremely hot object, weighing in at approximately 11 pounds. They eventually took the object for expert analysis.

SPINNING ???

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Reply to post by kassych

Yeah right.....eyewitnesses....lol. Whatever. Even if your ignorant to believe that nonsense (from that part of the world....don't get me started) then you have to say it wasn't a meteor I guess. Maybe it was those 2012 aliens that are piloting the comet or rouge planet that will kill us all?

Point blank, if there was even a real even here, it is for sure nothing more than something mundane being blown out of bounds by the uneducated and indigenous inhabitants. The "military" personell

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by MainLineThis

...there are nothing more than the lowest of the low on the iq scale compared to a normal country's grade school children.

Had to use two posts....damn mobile phone and little keyboard....lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join