It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Reply to Arecibo Message

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this thread might have been covered somewhere on this website but here is the link to the website that pretty much tells us that we actually received a message that was sent to the M13 star cluster. My friend sent me the link to the website that he saw this from so I will be posting it here right now.

humansarefree.com...

Any ideas or thoughts? I am highly skeptical but would like to know any other members thoughts and opinions.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

I was just thinking about "the reply" the other day. Someone on here pointed out that if aliens were to receive the original message, and felt the need to "reply", they would do it using a signal of some sort. Why would they respond with an obscure crop formation in the middle of nowhere?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

Maybe its a clever way of them saying that they are actually benevolent beings compared to half the people on ATS who think that there will be an invasion lmfao. To everyone who thinks that I am just kidding hahaha. But yeah, I definitely agree with you.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I have a question based on the following quote from the article...

In 1974 a number of modifications had been carried out to the transmitter, enabling it to broadcast signals at a power of up to 20 terawatts (1 terawatt = 1 trillion watts) and as an inaugural test of these improvements it was decided by SETI to transmit an encoded message to the heavens. This signal was aimed towards the globular star cluster M13, some 25,000 light years away and consisting of some 300,000 stars in the constellation of Hercules.

So if they sent the signal in1974, at a star cluster 25,000 light years away.... seems like we might have a few years before it gets there.

Or there may be a Department of Spaceland Security that is secretly tapping into all the transmissions out there in space. Man! Big Brother is everywhere!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

One thing I have tried to determine about "the reply" is whether it was man made or not. Unlike most of the crop circles I have seen, this one seems particulary complex. The question is can humans make such an elaborate crop formation?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

I know had the same question, but the author believes that the technology that they can actually shoot a signal a lot faster than the speed of light, which is weird. I mean at least in today's modern understanding of physics nothing is faster than the speed of light unless we are terribly wrong lol.
edit on 17-7-2011 by Unvarnished because: typo

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

Have you actually seen a real crop circle? That would be insane! But yeah I hear you, it is one hell of a complex crop circle unless more than 30+ people were involved, I remember reading somewhere that the creators of the crop circles were able to create an intricate crop circle in less than hour, but beats me. Who knows, that crop circle is one hell of a creation and masterpiece.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

Humans could make one that complex but my personal belief is that this wasn't man made. The transmission was aimed at a cluster 25,000LY away but who's to say it wasn't picked up by something or someone closer?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

Wouldn't the distance be limited to atleast 30 light years or less? That would be crazy! But cool point.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Yeah, 30 LY or less but what if (I know it's a big if for some) a craft intercepted that transmission and wanted to check us out? As Mr. Spock says "There are always possibilities."

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Awesome link, OP, seen this before but thanks for bringing back up.

Another poster alluded to the crop circle being in the middle of nowhere - it wasn't, it was left right next to a big radio telescope...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Dead on Signals! That piece seems to be left out every time there is a discussion on this. Star for you for bringing that up!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
radio waves like all other electromagnetic waves, travel at the speed of light. the signal was sent in 1974 to M13 the signal will reach M13 in 24,963 years! once in the vacuum of space the signal would travel almost indefinitely.
edit on 17-7-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Gotta think about whats between us and them. There are at least 3 solar systems within 30 LY of us.
Gliese 581
Gliese 876
61 Virginis
edit on 7/17/2011 by ShAuNmAn-X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
correction of my math

In free space, all electromagnetic waves (radio, light, X-rays, etc.) obey the inverse-square law which states that the power density of an electromagnetic wave is proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance from a point source [5] or: \rho_P \propto \frac[1][r^2]. Doubling the distance from a transmitter means that the power density of the radiated wave at that new location is reduced to one-quarter of its previous value. The power density per surface unit is proportional to the product of the electric and magnetic field strengths. Thus, doubling the propagation path distance from the transmitter reduces each of their received field strengths over a free-space path by one-half.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
That was a pretty damned awesome link, OP. I love this stuff, whether it's legit or not. I'd never heard of that cave painting in Uzbekistan before. Pretty amazing.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I have always been fascinated by the Arecibo reply. Especially when you look at the similarities between the reply and the Betty and Barney Hill story.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
reply to post by ShAuNmAn-X

Wouldn't the distance be limited to atleast 30 light years or less? That would be crazy! But cool point.

Unless we are just totally wrong about the speed of light.

No way we could be wrong. There's, like, scientists and siht.
They know everything already.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A thought for your thread. One little detail that seems to be missed about that crop circle. The Arecibo message has been transmitted more than once.

Wiki page to Active Seti attempts.

And the Wiki page on the Cosmic Call transmissions.

Cosmic Call

So I would point out this little detail. What if the Arecibo Crop Circle was a response to the 1999 transmission? At the time I remember running some astronomy software and seeing where that signal was going in the sky. And during the month that they were transmitting that signal several planets and the moon would have been visible from the transmitting dish.

Simply imagine there is a alien monitoring post on the moon and for a month they were hammered by a Seti transmission. Do you think they might have tried responding?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
reply to post by The Old American

I have always been fascinated by the Arecibo reply. Especially when you look at the similarities between the reply and the Betty and Barney Hill story.

Betty and Barney Hill was my first introduction to the abduction stories (not my first to UFO's, though, as that happened when I was about 5 and our whole street, as well as half the town, saw a UFO. As a matter of fact, I think I'll write about that soon!). I firmly believe that about 99% of the abductions stories are more of the nature of dreams, but the Hills are firmly in that 1% that aren't.

/TOA

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join