It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why no deletion of dupe topic threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I know I've not been here long, but I've been on forums for as long as the internet was made available to the public.

I've never been on a board that's allowed so many duplicate threads regarding subjects that already have ongoing discussions. I've mostly noticed it as I've been trying to keep on top of all the info regarding the downfall of the Murdoch media empire - in the past 2 weeks there's been at least 10 different threads that should really have been collated into one. I don't have the time to be on here all the time and it would be nice if all the info about a topic is kept in a thread I'm subscribed to on the myATS page.

Doesn't the flag system simply encourage this kind of behaviour? Shouldn't the star system be adequate?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My favorite dupe

Originally posted by Forevever
Mac should get an award for how many stars and flags he got for posting nearly identical topics

am I insane? no I can't be cause I posted in the other thread...so they are there right?

ok.... I gotta go question reality for a bit... ♥

references
Proof Solid
Proof you can't handle

Nothing new in either of them.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Two situations where duplicates are allowed.

1. We allow a Breaking News thread and a regular forum thread on the same topic.

2. We allow a duplicate thread when the first thread is older, usually a few weeks, and not still active.

When a duplicate is found, it is often only closed to preserve the posts and comments of members who posted in them. Staff directs members to the original thread with a link.
edit on Sun Jul 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: CLARITY

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

good information to know

neither of the threads I posted qualify
not tryin to be an opposition, just sayin... ♥
I didn't even realize it till last night that I was following identical threads, in the same forum, by the same OP, and both are really active

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

We'll take a look at those two threads.
In the meantime, when you see duplicates that don't meet the above two criteria, please:
Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
main reason i don't bother trying to open new threads, under my old id i would continually try but every time by the time i get mine written someone else would beat me to it. seems that it takes too long for me to think and write.

i do have an interesting idea tho, why not take duplicate threads appearing around same time and post them together using the time stamps? so if person a and b both write them, person a's gets top (after all they were first), then post the second thread directly under it as would likely be second? add all replies under in order of time they post as well. that way all the info ends up in same thread. maybe have some sort of marking so that can tell that is a response to whichever, from before they were melded together.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yakuzakid

We'll take a look at those two threads.

I am not sure...but it sounds like a job offer!

Your resume will need to include this instance I am sure!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

Merging of threads is technically impossible on ATS. There are too many threads and too much traffic. The database is too big.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

There are too many threads and too much traffic. The database is too big.

Really...so you have little or no control over threads that share a common title?

All of the programing and skill behind the operators of ATS leaves us with no option...I find that hard to believe!

Subject matter in a thread...now that is completely understandable...but topics...Hmmm....I think there are key words and subjects that could be weeded out.

I could write a program in a few minutes that would eliminate repeated thread titles...and search for like titles...so are you short some programmers or is it just not enough of a concern?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

2. We allow a duplicate thread when the first thread is older, usually a few weeks, and not still active.

Dear Kind and Benevolent Sir,

May I ask what the reasoning might be for that? Seems to me reviving an older thread might be a better way to ensure that relevant discussions are not lost or repeated. But I am but a foolish imp, without such understanding for complexities as such.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

That would be the way to go.
But, maybe the thread starter didn't/couldn't find the earlier thread.
Three pages into the newer thread, it is discovered.

Another scenario, new information is uncovered.
You might add it to the older thread...but the new info would get lost amongst 20 pages of posts.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Seems like either way, information is potentially lost in the flow

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

i wasn't really referring to older threads i was talking more about when 2 or more threads start out in a short time like a few hours.

admittedly my programmings skills ended with basic
but i would think that merging wouldn't be harder than a cut and paste type thing. for example as a moderator notices that two threads start up about the same news article in a short period of time (few posts at that point), just click on the (hypothetical) "merge" tab and bring the two together. every post is time stamped, so it shouldn't be difficult for a program to just put them into order of posting. like i said i'm not a programmer, but seems simple enough.

but hey it's just a thought i had. not as if the world will end if nothing like that happens. (or will it
, around here one just never really knows).

new topics

top topics

join