It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Government demands all keys to properties belonging to Cedar Falls residents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This is $#@ed up, big time.

Why do they want the keys???

So firemen won't have to break down your door if you have a fire.

Yep, that's it, just to help them make you "more safe".

If your house is on fire, the last thing you're going to care about is replacing the front door!!!

Also, there will be a master key that opens all of the lock boxes outside of your house with your keys in it.

That means that if one person stole the key or had it stolen from them, that person now has access to each and every house in the city.

So what happens when the key is used improperly and items are stolen, or even rapes or murders?

Will the city be held responsible?

Fat chance.

Watch for yourselves and don't think this isn't coming to a town near you!!!

edit on 17-7-2011 by Jeanius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I say give them the keys, then change the locks.

In all seriousness does it really matter if they have the keys or not? If they want to get inside your home they can do it regardless.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Anoynymoose

Exactly.

So why implement a system that could go HORRIBLY wrong over something so little as firemen not breaking down your door if your house is on fire?

I'll also bet that the one kick to the door puts them inside your house and fighting the fire much quicker than getting your keys out of a lock box, then unlocking your door nicely while your house is ablaze.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
They already passed it a month ago (Source) but it'll be interesting to see what becomes of it. Single-family homes that aren't being rented out aren't included in the ordinance, but apartments and rented out properties are.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
theres already a thread on this subject atleast there used to be

link   
Amazing. I had to watch that twice to really believe what I was hearing.
All I can say is that one councilman really summed it all up.
"Merit of an idea does not depend on the number of people who hold that idea."
Yet we the people really seem to hang on to the notion that our elected officials know what they are doing for our well being.
These council people go into office without massive special interest money either I bet.

link   
reply to post by Jenna

Yep, at the end of the video you can hear them vote, and it passes with only one "nay".

I just don't think this will make anyone safer, if anything, it adds to the probability of your house being broken into.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Idiots! Government does not have a right to vote your privet property rights away. They would never get a key from me and would be treated like the any other intruder. I would have told them to shove it up there arse!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
When I see this, all I think of right off is the debate over the idea of key escrow for encryption keys.

The big argment there was 'Would you let the govt have keys to everyone's homes?" The resounding voice was NO.

Oh, but now we are a nation of fearful wimps I guess.
If they get by with this, could they use it is a precedent to start that whole encryption key public key escrow stuff up again?

We'lll just go in, see what this guy's business is up to, he's my BIL's competitor, no one will know, I have access to his keys...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If my house was on fire, the door is the last thing I am worried about.

Idiots.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius
I just don't think this will make anyone safer, if anything, it adds to the probability of your house being broken into.

I agree. I wonder if the ordinance has been posted anywhere online yet.. I'd be interested in reading it, because from the way the video makes it sound it's doubtful it would make it through the Courts without being shot down. It's possible, but unlikely at this point.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Anoynymoose

you make a good point but in the big picture,I think it sets a very scary precedent.Where will it stop?I won;t give a lot of examples of how far it COULD go,thats pointless.But when citizens tell THEIR government what they want and said government won't listen,then asking to give up the right to decide who has the keys to my home and hand them over,well no,I repeat no they cant have them simply because this would seem to be a start to total control of the city by people who have their own agenda,no matter how they present it.And if that seems ridiculous to you,they are already doing what they want to do,not what their constituency wants,kind of reminds me of the soviets..peace ya'll

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So what happened at the June 13 meeting?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Why are these people so worried about the theft of a computer from their residence and NOT the fact that they are giving away their rights, privacy and freedom?

Wrong priorities here.

edit on 17-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
"Merit of an idea does not depend on the number of people who hold that idea"

It is so true. Only depends on the Elites aye.

Hail Hitler!

Btw other threads covering the same subject

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 17-7-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The story that this is about fire fighting is a lie. Do you have any idea of the weight and time it takes to go through a few thousand keys? There would not be a house left by the time you found the right one. Just who will have all these keys? Will they be part of the fire department and will the fire fighters have to wait until the key arrives? If all the locks are standardised then a master key can be used, other wise a locksmith has a few tricks and tools up their sleeve in beating locks.

This does come across more of a power grab, the council just throwing their weight around and letting the residents know just who is in charge. The risk of corruption from such centralised power is huge and out weighs the benefits that uninhibited council access to property may have. The council is overstepping their authority and the residents will have a good case if they banded together.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
this has less to do with firefighting and more to do with inspection I presume. I imagine they want the power to show up unexpectedly to inquire whether you are up to anti-government activities or just baking a cake like a good normal person. you know, things of that nature. the firefighting excuse is a good guise though, works for all types of these plans.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Frightening precedent. My first question would be " Are you mad?" and then followed by the statement " You first, council members. You first."
I would change the locks, and also put a passcode system into place, such as the new lock systems on the market now that notify a person if someone is trying to get into your house if you're away.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder, would the police have access to these keys? Yes? Then they would be able to use them anytime they wanted to enter your house? I think if you were to give them a key, that would be giving them permission to enter your home when they want?

So, no need for search warrants huh? No need to "knock" with a warrant as they have a key, and the no knock warrant? They will just use your key.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

i think i rather have to agree with you.

just a thought isn't it FASTER and easier to just break down the door in a case of fire? then to be fumbling around to get key, then if multiple keys, (in an apartment building for instance would all keys be in one box?), finding right key, then using the key hoping the lock hasn't jammed due to heat?
any firefighters out there please respond, after all a firefighter might know something about this. for me i think even using MY key on MY key-set would take longer than just bashing down the door. IN A FIRE EVERY SECOND COUNTS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join