It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Tata group to sell $700 flat-pack house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The Indian company that launched the world's cheapest car has unveiled its latest product for the fast-growing nation: a flat-pack house that costs just $700 and can be built in a week. The Tata group, maker of the $2,500 Nano car, said that the 20-square-metre (215-square-foot) home comes from a pre-fabricated kit that includes doors, windows and a roof. "We have already prepared two-three different designs based on discussions with users and are gathering more feedback," Sumitesh Das, the head of the project at Tata, told reporters in Hyderabad.
news.yahoo.com...

this is really cool, this could be a huge time saver in disasters worldwide, providing much needed safe shelter to people left homeless and destitute after major disasters. Two thumbs up from me for ingenuity.

edit on 17-7-2011 by CaDreamer because: fix link

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
That is awesome. It would be great to just buy a block of land, and instead of having to pay $100k - $150k for a house, just grab one of those. I'm a single person. I don't need much.

Awesome Cost. Awesome looks. Good Job India.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

There isn't even a picture, so how do you conclude "awesome looks"?

Anyway, 20 m²? For a student pretty nice, but for an entire family?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

The basic model of a so-called “Nano” house will cost 32,000 rupees ($720) and will use coconut fibre or jute for wall cladding and interiors. It has a life expectancy of 20 years.

The house, which is being tested in the state of West Bengal, will also be available in a larger 30-square-metre version and with additional features such as a solar panel for the roof and a verandah.www.thejakartaglobe.com...

i am still looking for pictures

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Nice one, agreed, these would be great in a disaster or even just for housing in less developed countries.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kemal
reply to post by DaRAGE

There isn't even a picture, so how do you conclude "awesome looks"?

Anyway, 20 m²? For a student pretty nice, but for an entire family?
Buy 3 0r 4 of them then. That is less than $3000 for 4.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
That is awesome. It would be great to just buy a block of land, and instead of having to pay $100k - $150k for a house, just grab one of those. I'm a single person. I don't need much.

Awesome Cost. Awesome looks. Good Job India.

Where did you see a picture? I did not see one at the link.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I Think these may be pictures to it. 25 sqft family house

Nano House

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grand Master
I Think these may be pictures to it. 25 sqft family house

Nano House

unfortunatly no they arent, the article says it has thatched roof and walls

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The article does not indicate an important item. Does it have plumbing???
I recognize that in India, even without plumbing, this could be an improvement. However, that stands as an idicator that it will be upwards of 20 years (lifespan of house) before the majority of India is expected to have plumbing?
Also explains alot of the cost differential.
You have to put it together yourself and it has no plumbing. I'm not knocking it but I thought that this would be the millenia of plubming for all!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Yes those pics were what i was looking at

Obviously it's not the right house i was looking at.

Tata house design, not sure how it looks..
edit on 24-7-2011 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

In other news, The Tata Nano car's are being recalled to install safety features free of charge to stop the car going up in flames LOL
Do you really want that house now?
link or it didn't happen

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So any new info on this? I'm actually pretty interested, I got a ton of land in NM and would be nice to set this up out that way.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RonFM
So any new info on this? I'm actually pretty interested, I got a ton of land in NM and would be nice to set this up out that way.

It's nothing us in the west would even consider a house. It's basically a shack made of coconut fiber.

You could probably find a used "tuff-shed" that would be cheaper and larger if you plan on living like your from the 1800s.

Or just build something out of scrap wood that you find on Craigslist

I was really hoping this was going to be something along the lines of that other "Nano house" that is posted here, not as fancy though of course.

top topics

join