It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreign intelligence service stole 24 000 files from defense contractor : Pentagon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My bet would be China.

24,000 files stolen from defense contractor: Pentagon

A foreign intelligence service swiped 24,000 computer files from a US defense contractor in March in one of the largest ever cyberattacks on a Pentagon supplier, a top Defense Department official revealed on Thursday.

"It is a significant concern that over the past decade, terabytes of data have been extracted by foreign intruders from corporate networks of defense companies," Deputy Defense Secretary William Lynn said.

"In a single intrusion this March, 24,000 files were taken," Lynn said in a speech at National Defense University here outlining the Pentagon's strategy in cyberspace.

They gonna like this stuff... hopefully they didn't stole some F-35s plans... or something like that. Even then they couldn't have stole all of it, since it's probably in the hundreds of terabytes of data...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Why blame China? We have other "allies" that constantly spy on us also.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
meh, Im glad, at least this will give whoever they are more of a chance to hit important military targets and equipment rather then civilian #.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

You are obviously pointing at Israel... and yeah I forgot about them... could be.

After all Israel had the biggest spy ring inside the US.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

You are obviously pointing at Israel... and yeah I forgot about them... could be.

After all Israel had the biggest spy ring inside the US.

If I meant Israel I would have said it. All our allies spy on us they would be stupid not to.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Could always be Russia, they have decent hackers and have been fairly unhappy about the recent European missile defense setup. Could be trying to ascertain capabilities.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
WOW! The pentagon has let its guard and and was in fact breached!!! outside of overspedning on new ways to neutralize and kill other humans...theyve gotten lazy eyed! wow

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
My bet is it could be anyone since they all spy on each other.. and all keep secrets from each other.. I honestly think there are very few nations in the world that have any real allies that lie outside the realms of self interest.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Of course the US won't take any action against this foreign power. Why not? Well they might fight back unlike Gary McKinnon who is in no position to fight the massed forces of the US Military, and it's legal and political powers.
edit on 16/7/1111 by Rob37n because: speeling nistook

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
WOW! The pentagon has let its guard and and was in fact breached!!! outside of overspedning on new ways to neutralize and kill other humans...theyve gotten lazy eyed! wow

No, It was a contractor. They need to keep secure info off the dam net, what morons to put sensitive data on a pc linked to the net. The Pentagon would fine the hell out of them if they did not want this crap to happen but we all know there is a major effort out there to ruin this nation.

China would have a really hard time replicating anything, Russia would not as they are pretty good at it. Israel makes better military hardware than we do in most cases so I really don't care if it was them. They plan on buying the F-35 anyhow and im sure someday will get the Raptor.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

True, but China has been our biggest espionage thorn in the proverbial side since the 80s. They are the worlds biggest counterfeit manufacturer, as well as buyer of stolen technologies. Odds are if the files taken were tech based, it was china.

If the data was general intelligence, then I would start to consider other foreign services.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Admiral Mullen touched on this topic along with some Pentagon / DOD officals. They are now taking the view that any attack in cyberspace on the US will be considered an act of war, and the US will defend itself.

Interesting words coming from the Obama Administration (IE the Pentagon / DOD is not just going to use that terminology without the Presidents approval since its a major foreign policy doctrine change.

I say everytime we are attcked in cyber space, we release all of that info to the world. Who did it, where it came from, etc etc etc.

I also say we respond in kind and invoke Chapter VII article 51 of the UN Charter.
edit on 16-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join