It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Up telescope! Search begins for giant new planet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

www.independent.co.uk

The hunt is on for a gas giant up to four times the mass of Jupiter thought to be lurking in the outer Oort Cloud, the most remote region of the solar system. The orbit of Tyche (pronounced ty-kee), would be 15,000 times farther from the Sun than the Earth's, and 375 times farther than Pluto's, which is why it hasn't been seen so far.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7/16/2011 by semperfortis because: copy the exact headline

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I dont know what they are trying to do here, either divert away from Elenin or admit to it. The article goes on to say "Whether it would become the new ninth planet would be decided by the International Astronomical Union (IAU). The main argument against is that Tyche probably formed around another star and was later captured by the Sun's gravitational field. The IAU may choose to create a whole new category for Tyche, Professor Matese said." Please do not think I'm fear mongering here, oh no I just think this is so suspect after hearing so much about 2012 and etc. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Why does this have to have something to with Elenin?

Have you considered the possibility that it has nothing to do with Elenin, and that this press release is simply to spread the word about another possible gas giant in our own solar system? Nothing more, nothing less?

Occams Razor:

Occam's razor is a principle that generally recommends selecting the competing hypothesis that makes the fewest new assumptions, when the hypotheses are equal in other respects; for instance, if all the hypotheses can sufficiently explain the observed data.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7/16/2011 by Pseudonaut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by basilray

What new category could the IAU come up with..... maybe brown dwarf planet or cousin solar system planet this really seems fishy to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Pseudonaut

There has always been a theory of a much large planet on the outer rim, scientists use the gravitational effect on planets orbits (something like that) to discover over bodies - Neptune has been known to have an effect on her orbit, many assumed it was Pluto.

Even when Pluto was discovered, others suggested the planet was too small to have such a significant effect on Neptune's orbit; data implied a much larger planet was lurking.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
A quick Google search, this is the apparent picture of 'Tyche' (I'm rather sceptical)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Pseudonaut

The only reason I said Elenin is because of timing. Some are saying it's something big out there and the experts argue it's not, then you have article like this saying it very well might be, so I only implied Elenin because of timing of recent discussions and speculation about this fragile earth.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

How can we have a picture of this new planet when it has not been even confirmed. If there is a picture then it's proof it exist right? When and how was that picture taken or is it an artist's concept.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

i.e why I said I was sceptical.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

This has been posted many times before, seriously. Search.

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by basilray
The article goes on to say "Whether it would become the new ninth planet would be decided by the International Astronomical Union (IAU).

Pluto lost its status as planet when they found the larger Eris wit moon Dysnomia. They also discovered many other small planets out there in Kuipers Belt. Here are a few of them. There is also a small planet in the Asteroid belt called Ceres

The main argument against is that Tyche probably formed around another star and was later captured by the Sun's gravitational field. The IAU may choose to create a whole new category for Tyche, Professor Matese said." Please do not think I'm fear mongering here, oh no I just think this is so suspect after hearing so much about 2012 and etc. Can anyone offer any thoughts?

Well all this stuff got messed up when our Sagittarius Galaxy collided with the Milky way and we are in transition. As a matter of fact we are in the arm of Sagittarius Galaxy crossing right now...

The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This stirred up all kinds of space rocks and comets, like Elenin (which is really a puny little thing that won't even be visible to the naked eye)

The dwarf star that might be a second star to the sun is called Nemesis

To recap the story of Nemesis (see, e.g., 1990 October issue of Scientific American): in 1984, Raup & Sepkoski claimed that mass extinctions, like the one that killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago, occurred every 32 million years. Since the favored theory for the demise of dinosaurs is an asteroid or cometary impact, the periodicity would suggests some mechanism to disturb the comets in the Oort cloud every 32 million years. Richard Muller and others hypothesized that a faint companion star, nicknamed Nemesis, that orbits the Sun every 32 million years, could explain this.

imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Nibiru is a planet made up by Z. Sitchin. There is no other source for that than him. For some reason people seem to believe Nibiru is on the way here for 2012, yet Sitchin says:

“Nibiru settled into a clockwise orbit (equal to 3,600 orbits of Earth around the Sun). Nibiru stabilized into a clockwise orbit, equal to 3,600 orbits of Earth around the Sun until 10, 900 B.C.E., when Nibiru arrived earlier, due to increasing drift from Solaris of Uranus. Uranus' gravity sped Nibiru's orbit. As a result of this
close encounter between Nibiru and Uranus, one of Nibiru's moons, Miranda, was captured by and became a moon of Uranus as Nibiru and Uranus pulled at each other. From 10,000B.C.E. on, Nibiru's revolution sped to 3.450 Earth years; which makes Nibiru's next return 2900A.D. rather than 2012 as predicated on the earlier 3600- year orbit”

Sitchin, Z., 2007, The End of Days, pages 315 - 317

2900 AD not 2012

In Sitchin's own words... that is 892 years away...

Hope that clears things up for you

And Planet X... that was from Daffy Duck in "Duck Dodgers in the 21 1/2 Century

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

This article was just posted today so I thought it would be nice to discuss since there are many topics on another giant planet I thought this was different and I had some questions. Honestly I would not try to rehash a topic unless I had something I thought it was different.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
position of Tyche Here is a 1 page pdf showing the positon of Tyche.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
A quick Google search, this is the apparent picture of 'Tyche' (I'm rather sceptical)

Can WISE Find the Hypothetical 'Tyche' Planet at Edge of Our Solar System?
www.sciencedaily.com...

WISE (Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer) mission official page

www.nasa.gov...

WISE image gallery

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

This article was just posted today so I thought it would be nice to discuss since there are many topics on another giant planet I thought this was different and I had some questions. Honestly I would not try to rehash a topic unless I had something I thought it was different.

The article you linked to is dated 13 February 2011. It's been posted about on here many, many times since then.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Tyche may be bigger than Jupiter and orbit at the outer edge of the solar system

By Paul Rodgers

Sunday, 13 February 2011

Jamie.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by oxbow

Tu che I stand humbly corrected plz pardon my error but I still had a few questions.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

The only reason I said Elenin is because of timing.

What timing?
The idea of a theoretical Tyche has been around and discussed regularly for many many many years now.

Edit - there's even a wikipedia entry.

Tyche is the nickname given to a hypothesized gas giant planet located in the Solar System's Oort cloud, first proposed in 1999...

wiki
edit on 16-7-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

The timing I was referring to was the 2012/Elenin debate not Tyche's existence.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Well.. I can understand saying it's weird due to timing, but even if it exists they are saying it is orbiting the sun at an incredible distance and remains at that distance now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join